The Official Tennessee vs. South Carolina Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pember I know was beat off the dribble when we had 8 point lead. He did however score 5 big points when he should be redshirting. He has a bright future as well.
Pember doesn’t have a bright future unless he changes his body. If he’s going to attempt to guard wings then his foot speed has to improve. If he’s going to guard the post then he has to get significantly stronger. Hope he red shirts next season to allow his body to mature more

+/- leaders

Vescovi 9
Pember 8
Fulkerson 4
Bowden 1
Nkamhoua 0
Pons -2
Gaines -3
James -5
Johnson -7

Reactions: esands88
This game set basketball back 25 years.Ugly game by both teams. Sc shot 33% we shot 26%.Despite shooting 19%from 3 we managed to hit 4 more 3s than they did. We had 11 blks and only 10 assists y while they had 8 blks and 9 assists.To cap it off both teams had 19 to each.Glad we won but that was hard to watch .😁

Would generally agree, but at some point, gotta limit shot opportunities for the guys who continually shoot an abysmal percentage and, conversely, give the green light to and run plays for the guys who more consistently making shots. I know, it’s “duh”, it’s obvious, but if Bowden keeps shooting historically bad like this, he’s gotta see his shot attempts limited. For crying out loud, he’s had games of 1-7, 2-12, 2-13, 1-12 and 1-18 in the last month.....that’s 7-62 from the field, 11.3% from the field. At some point, you can no longer give him the green light to shoot if he continues hurting the team like this.
This is where I am as well. I wished we could magic wand it and he'd snap out of it but at this point its almost like its a mechanics type thing. But if it were I'm sure by this point the staff would have figured it out. I mean this is as bad as I've witnessed here with a proven shooter tanking. And as CRB said why is he missing layups now? I guess the obvious is let him come off the bench at the 16:00 timeout and see what happens. I think you have to. And i agree JJJ and Vescovi need to be our shooters going forward. These shots are wide open too. Head scratcher for sure. He's definitely a VFLer so i feel bad for him.

Reactions: minorvol
Lol dude is a role player and we all just need to expect that moving forward. If he gives us some big games that will be great but I will not be expecting anything from him the rest of the season except for the occasional 3 pointer.
This is the answer imo. Great kid, gives great effort, and can shoot when the pressure is off and he’s the tertiary option. But move him up the food chain, ask him to be “the man”, and it’s clear that he just can’t mentally and emotionally handle it.

Imho, Barnes needs to step in at this point, and the midway point in the season, and make the adjustment. Save Bowden from himself. There’s no freaking way, after the horrid month he’s had shooting the ball, that he should’ve been allowed to jack up 18 shots today.

At this point, the offense needs to run through James-Fulky-Vescovi and let the rest of the crew support these 3. I’d like to see more Jaylen Johnson on the floor as the beneficiary of some drive and dish 3 attempts as well, he has a good stroke.

Vescovi only 2 of 6 but he had 13 points on 6 shots which is terrific. James 4 of 7 a good day for him. Bowden 6 points on 17 shots terrible.
And the more SV adjust to the speed of the NCAA game (mentally it just takes the mind a while to realize how fast and athletic these kids are) the better he's going to get. He, by all accounts, is intelligent and a student of the game so I really expect him next year to be able to run this team. Maybe still have JJJ bring the ball up against the press though.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Watched game with an etsu season ticket holder. he said the Only vol who might be in Steve Forbes’ 2 deep rotation is Fulky. Painful to watch ineptitude and horrific shooting. James and Vescovi must take more shots. Nice win but Barnes sure has a challenge making the nit with Bowden regressing each game offensively.

Watched game with an etsu season ticket holder. he said the Only vol who might be in Steve Forbes’ 2 deep rotation is Fulky. Painful to watch ineptitude and horrific shooting. James and Vescovi must take more shots. Nice win but Barnes sure has a challenge making the nit with Bowden regressing each game offensively.
ENJ3vF6XYAASZWU

Wow. Rick Barnes like we've never seen him before. He is royally p***ed.
He should be. Bowden is in-focused and completely shrinking from the moment. He’s called him out big time now. As much as I like Bowden, if he doesn’t respond big time now, he’s gotta bench him.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
That dude a little over the top. James and Fulky both would start and be primary guys for ETSU and Vescovi would be playing too.

Reactions: tennrich1
USC overplayed FL's guards and got beat on backcuts to the basket - I kept thinking we'd do the same but we only had one as I recall. Lamonte would have been a difference-maker today for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back