Not open for further replies.

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Tennessee Volunteers: 9-5 (1-1 SEC)

_T5_4655.JPG

vs.

South Carolina Gamecocks: 8-6 (0-1 SEC)

AG3V9217.jpeg

GAME 15 | TENNESSEE vs. SOUTH CAROLINA - Jan. 11, 2020 | 1:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT: -6.5
O/U: 132

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirrius: 138 / XM: 190
Online: ESPN App

South Carolina Game Notes

yyphqJnU

THE SERIES
• Tennessee leads the all-time series with South Carolina, 46-27, dating to 1927. The Vols are riding a four-game win streak against the Gamecocks.
• The Vols have a 27-9 edge when the series is played in Knoxville.
• The Vols and Gamecocks meet again in Columbia on Feb. 15.

STORYLINES
• Tennessee ranks third in the nation in average home attendance, drawing 18,950 at Thompson-Boling Arena this year.
• The highly popular Red Panda is performing during halftime Saturday. Who will toss her bowls? Mystery... intrigue... it just means more.
• In its five games during the month of December, Tennessee shot .228 from 3-point range. In UT's two games this month, the Vols are shooting .480 from long range. See note below.
• The Vols have won their last regular-season meeting against 11 of their 13 SEC opponents (all except Auburn and LSU).
• Mid-year enrollee Santiago Vescovi is shooting .667 from 3-point range through his first two collegiate games (8 of 12). That percentage leads the SEC thus far in league play.

LAYUP LINES
• Tennessee's 16.0 assists per game leads the SEC during league play. But it's 17.5 turnovers per game also are the most in the league.
• Tennessee ranks second in the SEC and 14th nationally in scoring defense, allowing only 59.6 ppg.
• Junior John Fulkerson is shooting a team-best .653 from the field while averaging a career-best 11.1 points per game this season.
• Junior forward Yves Pons has blocked at least one shot in every game this season and ranks second in the SEC and 24th nationally with 2.4 bpg.
• True freshman Josiah-Jordan James leads the Vols with 6.0 rebounds per game. He is the SEC's second-leading rebounder among freshmen.
• Fifth-year senior and preseason All-SEC guard Lamonté Turner announced on Dec. 21 that he will no longer suit up for the Vols due to thoracic outlet syndrome. The Vols are 1-2 without him.

ABOUT SOUTH CAROLINA
• South Carolina is coming off a loss in its SEC opener Tuesday night, as the Gamecocks fell to Florida, 81-68, at home. The loss dropped South Carolina to 8-6 and 0-1 in conference action.
• The result against Florida followed an up-and-down non-conference schedule that saw the Gamecocks upend nationally ranked Virginia (70-59) on the road before falling at home to Stetson (63-56).
• Following a season that saw the Gamecocks finish 16-16 overall and in the middle of the pack in the SEC, South Carolina looks to avoid missing the Big Dance for a third consecutive season. The last time the Gamecocks found themselves in March Madness, they advanced all the way to the 2017 Final Four, knocking off Duke, Baylor and SEC rival Florida along the way.
• Despite an inconsistent season thus far, the Gamecocks have seen consistent production from sophomore guard A.J. Lawson, who leads the team in scoring, with 15.2 ppg, and ranks second in assists with 2.4 apg.
• The huge bright spot for South Carolina has come from senior forward Maik Kotsar. Kotsar ranks second for the Gamecocks in scoring (10.3 ppg) and first in rebounding (6.1 rpg), blocks (0.9 bpg) and steals (1.5 spg). His 10.3 ppg are a 3.3 points jump from his average last season, showing his improvement and efficiency on the offensive end.
• The University of South Carolina is a public research institution that was founded in 1801 in an effort to promote harmony between the Lowcountry and Backcountry of South Carolina. Its current total enrollment of 52,000 students makes it the largest university in the Carolinas.

I miss living in Alaska. Games were over much earlier in the day so you still had time to do stuff if ya wanted to
Right, that honestly sounds really good to me for weekend games. I only hope I can catch both of those games since I'm not out here doing nothing 🤞

Reactions: RollerVol
This is a “must win” game for Tennessee if they have any hope of making the tournament.

Now don’t get me wrong, it will still be extremely hard for this team to make the tournament.....but they have to have this one.

Tennessee has 5 losses, they still have to play Kansas, Kentucky twice, Auburn twice, Arkansas twice, at Georgia and they play Florida.......and at Vandy, at SC, at Ms ST, and at Bama.

Looks almost impossible that Tennessee will lose just 6 or fewer games from here on out.

Even with a couple wins in the SEC tournament 21-13 my not get you in.

Need to be setting at 20-11 or better come tournament time and pick up a couple wins.....that gets you in.

All that said......that looks like a HUGE mountain to climb for the Vols.

One game at a time.....let’s get this one.

Last edited:
It's a must win.

It's critical that Vescovi and JJJ don't regress. Vescovi needs to have fewer TOs and JJJ needs to score.

For this season to go somewhere, it's very important that Jalen Johnson continues to make big contributions. The other 3 freshmen are hitting a wall and can't be relied on to be consistent. Really, our 6 man rotation with JJ first off of the bench should be able to get some wins against teams without great post players.

I've seen enough of Bowden that I believe he'll break out of his slump soon. Flip a coin a hundred times and there will be runs of heads or tails. Vescovi is a big change for him after playing several years alongside Turner. The deeper 3-point line could also be affecting him. He'll adapt and adjust.

Red Panda either has some strong magnets in her bowls or practices sorcery. Check her out on YouTube if you don't know about her act.

TGO, et al, I'm cautiously optimistic that regression is a thing of the past. Seems the entire lineup hit bottom when Turner went out. Starters looked somewhat rejuvenated vs. Misery: the J's in particular (J Bowden, J Johnson, JJ James). Hopefully they will build on that.

Looking for a 69-60 or so over the gamechickins GBO!!!

This is a “must win” game for Tennessee if they have any hope of making the tournament.

Now don’t get me wrong, it will still be extremely hard for this team to make the tournament.....but they have to have this one.

Tennessee has 5 losses, they still have to play Kansas, Kentucky twice, Auburn twice, Arkansas twice, at Georgia and they play Florida.......and at Vandy, at SC, at Ms ST, and at Bama.

Looks almost impossible that Tennessee will lose just 6 or fewer games from here on out.

Even with a couple wins in the SEC tournament 21-13 my not get you in.

Need to be setting at 20-11 or better come tournament time and pick up a couple wins.....that gets you in.

All that said......that looks like a HUGE mountain to climb for the Vols.

One game at a time.....let’s get this one.
Every game is a must win

Oh man, I'm on the west coast right now, so 10am tipoff for me haha. 5:15pm kickoff for the Titans game too.

I've been on the West Coast twice in the past 5 years during the fall and both times the time difference messed me up. Around noon PST I pulled up my phone to see the kickoff of the noon SECN game and it was halfway through the 3rd quarter. My immediate reaction was "Why did they kick off at 10?" Same type thing happened both trips.

On the good side, it was kind of nice watching a Pac 12 game and it not be almost midnight.

yep, another game we need to win to stay in the hunt...we can do this...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!

Reactions: vol94
Every game is a must win

It would be nice, but really they aren’t.

This game isn’t necessarily a “must win” if they could pick up a win vs a tougher team somewhere.......and still get to 20-21 wins.

I say “must win” because Tennessee really needs to pick up a W in all the games (from here on out) where they “should” win and pretty much every game it’s a toss up. Tennessee also must pick up a W in most home games.

It is much easier to get to say 20 wins by beating ALL of the Vandy’s and SC’s of the world and then picking up a few wins vs better teams........then say to lose to some lesser teams and having to get a bunch of wins vs the KY’s and Auburn’s of the world.

That is why “this” game is a “must win.”

I gots a brand new Vols shirt on. We will see how lucky this shirt is.

If things are looking good through halftime I’ll keep it on. If not I’ll change to a trusty good luck shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back