The Official Tennessee vs. Purdue Music City Bowl Game Thread, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

Play calling cost Tennessee the bama game? What planet do you live on?
3 straight drives inside the 50 yard line where 3 straight run plays up the middle that took a total of 45 seconds off the clock in the 2nd half when defense is gassed was a major point/momentum shift. So yes it did. Was ut's game to lose late in the 3rd qtr. If would have slowed the pace down on the second half at key points that score is a lot different. The super pace offense is hell on our defense when offense gets Negative yardage on 3 straight run plays inside red zone after a turnover.
1:20 (am) and I'm still kind of just quietly sitting and wondering how that happened. I think I'm in shock. I knew it would be close... I even said it would be a 45-48 type game. I just never thought we would lose. It never crossed my mind, and it never felt that way. I'm just kind of numb.
To think UT couldn't lose this game, tells me you haven't really been watching Tennessee football for the past oh 20 yearsish

Reactions: oz615 and Cartervol
If his forward progress was ruled stopped, why was it reviewed? Forward progress is not reviewable.

They review spots of the ball all the time. I have not gone back to review the replays, but I thought the official in question came in pointing down to the ground which is the universal down by contact motion, which is reviewable. What ticks me off is when they talk out of both sides of their mouth regrading let the game play out and fix it with replay. I think the rule that needs to be visited on this play was the INADVERTENT WHISTLE rule, pretty sure it is still in the book somewhere. He was clearly never down and was fighting inch by inch while being pulled by our OL. Hiding behind a judgement ruling, is pretty weak. Advancement of the ball and spot is replayed all the time.

They had to get together and make some rules changes after our last game ending call in this game. MIght need to meet again.

All that being said, when I look back on the game it gives me hope. We do lose quite a few key players, but we have guys coming back that should plug in and make us a better team next year with the new additions if we can shore up the D some.

They review spots of the ball all the time. I have not gone back to review the replays, but I thought the official in question came in pointing down to the ground which is the universal down by contact motion, which is reviewable. What ticks me off is when they talk out of both sides of their mouth regrading let the game play out and fix it with replay. I think the rule that needs to be visited on this play was the INADVERTENT WHISTLE rule, pretty sure it is still in the book somewhere. He was clearly never down and was fighting inch by inch while being pulled by our OL. Hiding behind a judgement ruling, is pretty weak. Advancement of the ball and spot is replayed all the time.

They had to get together and make some rules changes after our last game ending call in this game. MIght need to meet again.
I really thought when the line judge ran in he was asking the head ref if the knees hit. I really thought they would rule it a TD.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I don’t think you can point to one single issue as the reason we lost. Officials were terrible, secondary was terrible, Hookers decision making was terrible, the field was terrible, the play calling in numerous situations was terrible, effort at times was terrible, the music city bowl in general...WAS TERRIBLE!
2 bright spots imo, Jeremy Banks and Cedric Tillman.
GBO!!

Reactions: screenthis
Great job by Heupel this season he came in and took far less talent than cornbread had and won 8 games one we didn't get on the record. We need to find some defensive players and were ready for a big season next year. To bad that the Refs were not qualified to officiate the game yesterday. Really don't care for those secondary bowls just rather stay home in the future.

Reactions: cyclevol
I'm dissappinted with the result except less sad because the future is very bright for a talented Rocky Top Volunteers football team that has the ability to be a great team for a full season since most likely Hooker will be the starter.
I am just sick that the refs caused our loss!

I thought I'd give my unprofessional view of the team and the game. I'm REALLY proud of the way Hooker played and the rest of the team. It was one of the greatest bowl games I have ever watched. I know we got screwed by the call and bad spots and I felt gutshot at the end of the game but... W'ere not the old TN choker team. We had life and grit and determination. I know our cobbled up defense might need to be shored up a bit for next year. A great year for a great bunch of players and I applaud Heupel for taking chances-thats something we never did in the past. Can't wait for next year!

Don't be silly. We're not Alabama or Georgia. It's been sloppy but its down to the wire.

We used to be Alabama and Georgia and should be again eventually.
I hate this thinking that we are now a mid-level program and should be satisfied beating Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
A lot of younger fans talk about the 90's, but Tennessee was an elite program long before then.

We used to be Alabama and Georgia and should be again eventually.
I hate this thinking that we are now a mid-level program and should be satisfied beating Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
A lot of younger fans talk about the 90's, but Tennessee was an elite program long before then.

You said I wasn't a Vol fan because I thought MCB was a good game. It was a good game and had me on the edge of my seat. Wading thru a bunch of negative posts by drunks who aren't satisfied with anything gets old. Acting like we should be beating teams the way Alabama and Georgia does is not living in reality and I don't think anyone here is content or satisfied with sub-10 win seasons. I remember when 10 wins was a disappointment but the truth is we're a ways off from that kind of swagger again.

Wish the Vols could've won.

I agree because this high scoring game they didn’t close to win the game.

I’m less sad about the defeat because the Volunteers lived up to the 7 wins that Las Vegas had for in the regular season, they competed in the high scoring bowl game, and the future is bright for the 2022 Football Volunteers team.

Reactions: camp_steveo
I agree because this high scoring game they didn’t close to win the game.

I’m less sad about the defeat because the Volunteers lived up to the 7 wins that Las Vegas had for in the regular season, they competed in the high scoring bowl game, and the future is bright for the 2022 Football Volunteers team.
I just wish UT could have won because I don't think Purdue should even be considered in the conversation when it comes to UT football.

I just wish UT could have won because I don't think Purdue should even be considered in the conversation when it comes to UT football.

I'm pretty damn stunned my score prediction Volunteers win 45-38 would have been on the bullseye if the Volunteers defense was able to defend late in that game.
The main reason the 2022 Music City Bowl will be more depressing for me than the other bowl games that the Tennessee Volunteers didn't win.

I'm pretty damn stunned my score prediction Volunteers win 45-38 would have been on the bullseye if the Volunteers defense was able to defend late in that game.
The main reason the 2022 Music City Bowl will be more depressing for me than the other bowl games that the Tennessee Volunteers didn't win.
Don't let it depress you. The Vols are on the comeback trail and there aint no stoppin it!

Don't let it depress you. The Vols are on the comeback trail and there aint no stoppin it!

I didn’t remained depressed because my Titans are having a great season, also the Bulls, Mens Volunteers basketball team are a winning team, the Blackhawks could have a great turnaround if they make the Playoffs, also most likely my Flames and Avalanche both make the 2022 NHL Playoffs.

Also because Hooker will most likely be the starter for a full season the Football Volunteers have a good chance to win more than 7 of 12 regular season games.

Reactions: camp_steveo

VN Store

Back