The Official Tennessee vs. Murray State Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, SEC Network

We will and let's also revisit whether or not, Murray St. will be considered a "practice game" team

If the less talented Murray team is considered anything more than a practice game, we have a whole lot of growing up to do. Point in fact. Against Murray, we had no answer to the lack of ability to include JJJ in any really meaningful way.

Bottom line: Where we are young, we perform like a young team. Better things to come, talent is there, lotsa "rough" players. Physical maturity is a pressing issue in the years to come with this group.

If the less talented Murray team is considered anything more than a practice game, we have a whole lot of growing up to do. Point in fact. Against Murray, we had no answer to the lack of ability to include JJJ in any really meaningful way.

Bottom line: Where we are young, we perform like a young team. Better things to come, talent is there, lotsa "rough" players. Physical maturity is a pressing issue in the years to come with this group.

Actually, you just don’t know much about college basketball. There’s a good chance that’s a tourney team.

Actually, you just don’t know much about college basketball. There’s a good chance that’s a tourney team.

Actually, you would wait to see what happens to determine whether or not either of us knows antyhing about college basketball. Yes?

Reactions: KBVol
Actually, you would wait to see what happens to determine whether or not either of us knows antyhing about college basketball. Yes?

No. Murray State is a good program. They’re a well coached team. They are expected to finish top two in their conference. They’re not a “practice” team. Last week was a practice game. This was not.

I don't expect Pons to give us 17 a game like he has been averaging, but hopefully he can keep that offense going throughout the season. I hope, but not super confident, that James will average more than 4 points per game as well. Offensively, he is visibly uncomfortable and really lost. He needs to attack the basket and draw fouls like Turner did in the second half. He should be able to finish around the rim. Defensively, at least in the second half, he was very good.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Lol

Some people don’t know much about basketball as a whole.....don’t get me wrong I don’t either.

This is Murray State over the past 10 years:
28-5
26-6
16-17
17-14
29-6
23-11
21-10
31-2
23-9
31-5

Murray State is consistently a good team.
Murray State is a better program than probably a third of the SEC. Possibly more.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Lol

Some people don’t know much about basketball as a whole.....don’t get me wrong I don’t either.

This is Murray State over the past 10 years:
28-5
26-6
16-17
17-14
29-6
23-11
21-10
31-2
23-9
31-5

Murray State is consistently a good team.
Agreed, this will be a nice, double digit win, come March.
GBO!!

I don't expect Pons to give us 17 a game like he has been averaging, but hopefully he can keep that offense going throughout the season. I hope, but not super confident, that James will average more than 4 points per game as well. Offensively, he is visibly uncomfortable and really lost. He needs to attack the basket and draw fouls like Turner did in the second half. He should be able to finish around the rim. Defensively, at least in the second half, he was very good.
Don’t think this team is at its best with Pons shooting 3’s although he shot them well last night. Love to see him focus on being his best 10’ or less from the basket. That one post move was impressive. Fulky probably isn’t a feed him in the post type of guy and we need someone to fill that role IMHO

Don’t think this team is at its best with Pons shooting 3’s although he shot them well last night. Love to see him focus on being his best 10’ or less from the basket. That one post move was impressive. Fulky probably isn’t a feed him in the post type of guy and we need someone to fill that role IMHO

I dunno, with today's pace and space game-style hitting college pretty thoroughly; if he can hit them at a decent clip then it's just good basketball efficiency. Spacing from the 4 position is key nowadays.

Reactions: Lefteye
If they’re going to back off and leave him wide open he’s got to take them to be effective inside, if he just passes it off teams are going to slouch off him and make his post game even more ineffective.

Fulky has no real post game, but he is effective as the roll mean for sure, as we could tell from those two and ones last night. He really only needs to do that and dump offs from ball penetrations to be effective on offense. Asking him to do much else isn't exactly fair.

The difference in the game is we spent the entire first half passing it around the horn for 25 seconds and shooting a bad shot. In the second half Turner was getting to the paint at will and either finishing with a layup, dumping it off, or kicking it out for a 3. That's has to continue to be the gameplan.

No. Murray State is a good program. They’re a well coached team. They are expected to finish top two in their conference. They’re not a “practice” team. Last week was a practice game. This was not.
Exactly... I mean it’s not like they’re Evansville!

Is that you, Ernest T?

Me? I'll just wait and see what happens instead of pontificating and crystal-ball gazing. Scry much?

Murray State was picked by Lunardi and Palm to make NCAA Tournament as a #15 seed. Very good shooting team, well coached but not real deep , they just ran out of gas last night.

We should be very happy we won; the SEC is having some struggles right now. UK, UF, and LSU have all lost this week and Auburn won on a last shot against South Alabama.

VN Store

Back