The Official Tennessee vs. #6 Alabama Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, ESPN

I just disagree with your logic. For example, if Steph Curry has a wide open 3, shooting it is the right tactical move. That is true whether he makes it or misses it
Now, obviously this situation is not as cut and dry as that. But saying something wasn't the right strategic move just because the end result was not good... I just think thats not logical

The dude just doesn’t get it. But you are 100% correct. You can’t judge a coaching move (or any decision in life for that matter) based on hindsight. It always is 20/20.

I was playing blackjack with my wife one time and a guy sat down beside me. He showed a 12 against the dealer’s 6. So what does he do? He DOUBLES DOWN (at which point the dealer and I shoot glances at each other)...AND DRAWS A 9! I looked at my wife and said, “no matter what you just saw happen here, never do that!”

Moral of the story. You can’t judge a decision solely on the results. All a coach can do is play the odds, which means that no move will guarantee success. Switching Gaines on the defensive end of the floor was a solid tactical move and Gaines made the stop. But even with Gaines missing the free throws, we had a shot to tie the game at the end. We didn’t make our shots and they made theirs. That is the difference in the game.

Disappointed in the loss. I did think, though, that the team played with fire and intensity, and gave Bama all it could handle. We can pick a nit here, and pick a nit there, but in the end it doesn't change the score. I thought Barnes had the team ready to play, I thought the game plan was good, and I thought they almost overcame the loss of Fulky. If he had been playing, I think it would have added about 8 points (at least) to our side of the ledger.

I was proud of the team, and look forward to seeing what they can get done in the NCAA.

Solid analysis.

It's on us turning the ball over. It's not getting better.

Yep! Agree. Can’t blame refs. Blame the 19-20
turnovers and poor shot selection last 8 min of the game. A five min scoring drought and Bama goes on a 14-0 run. Just have to find a way to stop panicking under defensive pressure. May not happen this yr without a true point guard.

Reactions: Vol4life2
pretty clear that feeble attempts at insults are your calling card. Do you have anything constructive to add to the discussion at hand?
Had Gaines not been in the game, the situation completely changes and that specific sequence doesn't happen. It' easy to moan after the fact yet totally irrelevant

Had Gaines not been in the game, the situation completely changes and that specific sequence doesn't happen. It' easy to moan after the fact yet totally irrelevant
It was a high risk, low reward decision. And it bit us in the rear end. I feel sorry for the kid. He came in ice cold off the bench. Head scratching move. How is it irrelevant to talk about that decision?

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
It was a high risk, low reward decision. And it bit us in the rear end. I feel sorry for the kid. He came in ice cold off the bench. Head scratching move. How is it irrelevant to talk about that decision?

If you don’t build depth during the season, don’t expect it tournament time. There were numerous times during the season Gaines & Uros could have been in the game but they weren’t.

If you don’t build depth during the season, don’t expect it tournament time. There were numerous times during the season Gaines & Uros could have been in the game but they weren’t.
Yes, agree. Down 1 40 s left in SEC tournament vs top 10 team is not the time to get cute with the lineup and insert a player who had played like 45 seconds all game.

True but what I also said remains true.
I, for one, will appreciate Barnes and the levels our program has reached. No telling what this admin will serve up as a replacement. I've seen a lot of bad coaches and teams since Ray Mears and the unicycle glory days. Fans need to appreciate what we have while we have it. Just sayin'.

10 turnovers for Springer and Johnson in the game. They are great players but sometimes try to force the action instead of staying in the team concept. Hopefully they both will play a little more under control in the NCAA.

The good news is we are one-and-done in the NCAA. Then we can move on to another sport in which Tennessee sucks.

One big factor at the end of the game is that Alabama had the ball in the hands of experienced high quality SEC players. We have the ball in the hands of true freshmen and sophmores.

VN Store

Back