The Official Tennessee vs. #17 Auburn Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, ESPN2

Disnt watch the game...

Let me guess tho

We suck. No talent. Not enough speed. SV not an sec guard. JJJ a bust

Did i miss something?

Reactions: OneManGang
I agree, he had about as many decent games as Viscovi did and neither one excites me
Vescovi has been much, much better than JJJ this year. As Barnes himself said, “don’t know where this team would’ve been without Vescovi” coming into the run the point when he did. He hasn’t been great on the whole, has had his ups and downs, has probably hit a bit of a freshman wall here lately, and other teams have scouted him and made adjustments. But he’s still been far better, way better than JJJ this year, not even close.

Disnt watch the game...

Let me guess tho

We suck. No talent. Not enough speed. SV not an sec guard. JJJ a bust

Did i miss something?

Not so much. Just ice cold shooting. We looked tired. Kentucky hangover, maybe? I don't even think Auburn played that well. But they hit a few 3-pointers and that was enough to keep us at arm's length pretty much the whole game.

Not so much. Just ice cold shooting. We looked tired. Kentucky hangover, maybe? I don't even think Auburn played that well. But they hit a few 3-pointers and that was enough to keep us at arm's length pretty much the whole game.
That guy made 29 points shooting three shots. He became the greatest three point shooter that ever lived.

Reactions: Hacksaw
Inconsistency on O all year. Today Pons was bad JJJ as well. With our bench lacking scoring ability we need all 5 starters scoring especially when AU played their best Offensive game of year. Scout said the worst team in league at shooting 3 but drive the lane the best . Today had both going. Tip your hat to them.

Vescovi has been much, much better than JJJ this year. As Barnes himself said, “don’t know where this team would’ve been without Vescovi” coming into the run the point when he did. He hasn’t been great on the whole, has had his ups and downs, has probably hit a bit of a freshman wall here lately, and other teams have scouted him and made adjustments. But he’s still been far better, way better than JJJ this year, not even close.
We wouldn’t have won 5 SEC games without Vescovi. I don’t think JJJ has made much of a difference in wins/ losses other than KY game

The state of Vol basketball...mens and womens is in a real bland spot. I guess it's good we aren't bottom of the barrel in either program...but the expectations when having such a high priced coach on the mens side...and a traditional former powerhouse on the ladies side...makes you expect alot better than this. We always think we can do better than what we have. Like UT has a birthright to elite status in the SEC. We did it with Fulmer. It was unacceptable to have those down seasons with him. "We SHOULD be better than this" was the thought. Then the best basketball coach we've ever had in Bruce Pearl just had to go due to not living up to our high moral standards. We payed a high price in firing both coaches.

Not saying UT should accept we are not one of the big boys and be thankful for having coaches like Fulmer and Pearl and just accept the bad that goes with them...but you have to be careful when firing coaches...thinking you can do better just cuz we're the Vols and we deserve better. Holly had to go. No doubt. We will make the NCAA tourney on the LV side...which is nice. It carries on that last bastion of tradition from the Summit days...but for the mens side this was just one of those throwaway seasons...but when you have a top 5 paid coach in the entire country...making the NCAA tourney should be an absolute bare minimum expectation. It won't happen...while the guy we fired...who is beneath us and our standards...goes happily to the dance and potentially very deep into it...and the thing is nobody cares about what Pearl did at UT and the stupid bar b q nonsense.. All of the top coaches have some shadiness surrounding them. Almost EVERY one of them...and nobody cares. When we have a great coach...we need to keep them and stand by them. Next season will be a huge test to see if Barnes is one of those.

The state of Vol basketball...mens and womens is in a real bland spot. I guess it's good we aren't bottom of the barrel in either program...but the expectations when having such a high priced coach on the mens side...and a traditional former powerhouse on the ladies side...makes you expect alot better than this. We always think we can do better than what we have. Like UT has a birthright to elite status in the SEC. We did it with Fulmer. It was unacceptable to have those down seasons with him. "We SHOULD be better than this" was the thought. Then the best basketball coach we've ever had in Bruce Pearl just had to go due to not living up to our high moral standards. We payed a high price in firing both coaches.

Not saying UT should accept we are not one of the big boys and be thankful for having coaches like Fulmer and Pearl and just accept the bad that goes with them...but you have to be careful when firing coaches...thinking you can do better just cuz we're the Vols and we deserve better. Holly had to go. No doubt. We will make the NCAA tourney on the LV side...which is nice. It carries on that last bastion of tradition from the Summit days...but for the mens side this was just one of those throwaway seasons...but when you have a top 5 paid coach in the entire country...making the NCAA tourney should be an absolute bare minimum expectation. It won't happen...while the guy we fired...who is beneath us and our standards...goes happily to the dance and potentially very deep into it...and the thing is nobody cares about what Pearl did at UT and the stupid bar b q nonsense.. All of the top coaches have some shadiness surrounding them. Almost EVERY one of them...and nobody cares. When we have a great coach...we need to keep them and stand by them. Next season will be a huge test to see if Barnes is one of those.

I just chuckle at the orange colored glasses people put on with Pearl and compound it because he's done well at Auburn.

Yeah he was maybe our best coach (Mears might disagree)...but that says way more about the quality of coaches we've had rather than him. People seem to forget before the unexpected Elite 8 run (and don't kid yourself, it was unexpected and we lucked out with some upsets), people were questioning if HE could win the big one. His best team here, which was one of the best UT teams ever...got their ass kicked in the Sweet 16. He didn't win an SECT here and got to the SECT Finals once, where we didn't show up.

If Pearl hadn't have been fired and by now hadn't made a FF, you know good and well people would be labeling him as a coach who "can't win the big one". What Barnes has done here is almost the same as what Pearl did, and now people are whining about what Barnes makes. You might have a point except people were whining about Barnes BEFORE he got paid.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Tornado relief? Whatever you’re aiding, it’s more important than a game (Even though it’s an important game.)

You’ve got true Volunteer Spirit!

Yes. Metro Nashville is opening school again on Monday but some of the schools sustained damage so they are merging the classes with other schools.

One of the ministries at our church did something with kids who wanted to help in class rooms. A lot of supplies are moving from affected schools. We donated supplies in the North Nashville hit area.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
If Pearl were still at UT we'd be lurching from investigation to probation/scholarship restrictions with occasional trips to the elite 8. He's cheated everywhere he's been.

If I'm Auburn I fire his a** at the end of the season before the NCAA sets up a branch office on campus. That way they can angle for a good coach who can build on what Pearl has started

If Pearl were still at UT we'd be lurching from investigation to probation/scholarship restrictions with occasional trips to the elite 8. He's cheated everywhere he's been.

If I'm Auburn I fire his a** at the end of the season before the NCAA sets up a branch office on campus. That way they can angle for a good coach who can build on what Pearl has started

Yeah because the NCAA has shown they really bring the hammer down. I mean Will Wade that guy really was set straight huh?

Reactions: 1985Vols

He does and is due a pass with everything we lost, but the “fly in the ointment”, I think from most all prospectives as for the last two seasons, we have allowed Pearl and AU have a say in our end of the year results. That’s a lot for fans to get through, but I agree with all you report here. Next season will be a judgmental year for this team

We lack 2 things ..and if we dont get better with different players at those spots .. next year will be same. PG and big man rebounder ... our guards too slow to defend in SEC and our bigs are too thin and soft ..

I'm thinking when a coach gets a three year show cause, you almost have to fire him..lol. I'm not sure whether Pearl or Barnes is the better coach. That will eventually shake out, but I'd rather have the coach that doesn't make me want to take a shower after watching..

Reactions: Caz
We lack 2 things ..and if we dont get better with different players at those spots .. next year will be same. PG and big man rebounder ... our guards too slow to defend in SEC and our bigs are too thin and soft ..
That’s why we just won in Lexington? Don’t get me wrong this team is flawed. But with the talent coming in and if nothing else Barnes has shown he can develop talent. We will be just fine. Hopefully you will still be around to enjoy

VN Store

Back