The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

I love Nick Foles, and I think he's more than just a stop gap, but there's no way we cut bait with Mariota before 2019. He will get next year, and honestly, I think that's fair. I don't expect him to stay healthy next season, nor do I believe he will take a dramatic step in performance. However, he's had nothing resembling stability here, and he probably has earned the chance to prove his capability in the 2nd year of this system.

agree ... but now. oof. :(

Reactions: orangepridenation
Can’t blame LaFleur for making the much better career choice. Mariota has to be infuriated that the Titans cannot give him any scheme consistency. Is Helfrich still an OC somewhere?

Reactions: RiverVol
Can’t blame LaFleur for making the much better career choice. Mariota has to be infuriated that the Titans cannot give him any scheme consistency. Is Helfrich still an OC somewhere?
Can't blame him, our constant rotating of OCs has hurt his career far worse than his injuries imo. Also jmo but I would much rather have a seasoned playcaller than an up and comer this time around.

After sleeping on it, I hope they get a spread-minded OC. That's what Mariota has needed from the start. And I don't mean to run him into the ground, but rather to utilize him primarily from the shotgun with a base 3 wide set that is built around the short to intermediate passing game. He has always been a rhythm passer, and a quick-release offense would likely do wonders for his injury problems. Helfrich or a Reid disciple would probably hit that note pretty well.

If we can't get someone who fits that mold, I want an established OC. Hue Jackson would be a great choice and would not be a risk to bolt for a head coaching job.

If I were the Titans, then I’d throw money at either Chip Kelly or Helfrich (currently bears OC). I can’t think of any other way of best answering the question of Mariota deserving a long term contract; puts him in the best position to succeed along with getting him a proven OC, upgraded interior line (draft), and another good WR (FA).

After sleeping on it, I hope they get a spread-minded OC. That's what Mariota has needed from the start. And I don't mean to run him into the ground, but rather to utilize him primarily from the shotgun with a base 3 wide set that is built around the short to intermediate passing game. He has always been a rhythm passer, and a quick-release offense would likely do wonders for his injury problems. Helfrich or a Reid disciple would probably hit that note pretty well.

If we can't get someone who fits that mold, I want an established OC. Hue Jackson would be a great choice and would not be a risk to bolt for a head coaching job.
Hue Jackson is terrible. Cleveland immediately got better when he left, and Cincinnati immediately got worse when he arrived.

You know down the road Marcus Mariota is going to be a really good OC has he will be able to put together a system with a mixture of plays/schemes from a half dozen systems he has been in.

Reactions: Rishvol
Hue Jackson is terrible. Cleveland immediately got better when he left, and Cincinnati immediately got worse when he arrived.

Uh, Cincinnati's offense got noticeably better when he became OC and noticeably worse when he left. Same thing happened when he was in Oakland. Jackson might be a garbage head coach, but he is a hell of an offensive coordinator. I'm not even sure that's debatable at this point.

Reactions: LotteryPick
The mentioned player may be a big reason why we’ve went through so many coordinators

The mentioned player may be a big reason why we’ve went through so many coordinators

2015 - Jason Michael
2016 - 2017: Terry Robiskie
2018 : Matt LaFleur

Jason Michael was demoted to the QB coach when Robiskie took over. He's primarily been a TE coach outside his stint with Wisenhunt and Mularkey. He again was a TE coach with the Cardinals for 2018.
Robiskie had years of experience but primarily as a WR coach. He was the WR coach for the Bills in 2018.
LaFleur has primarily been a QB coach with the Falcons and Redskins. He was also the OC for the Rams.

Only one of those coordinators has an acceptable resume and results to me, and he's now the head coach of the Packers. I'm not saying Mariota is the next Rodgers, but it's also not like the guy has had the surrounding talent or premiere coordinators that some other QBs have had in their careers.

2015 - Jason Michael
2016 - 2017: Terry Robiskie
2018 : Matt LaFleur

Jason Michael was demoted to the QB coach when Robiskie took over. He's primarily been a TE coach outside his stint with Wisenhunt and Mularkey. He again was a TE coach with the Cardinals for 2018.
Robiskie had years of experience but primarily as a WR coach. He was the WR coach for the Bills in 2018.
LaFleur has primarily been a QB coach with the Falcons and Redskins. He was also the OC for the Rams.

Only one of those coordinators has an acceptable resume and results to me, and he's now the head coach of the Packers. I'm not saying Mariota is the next Rodgers, but it's also not like the guy has had the surrounding talent or premiere coordinators that some other QBs have had in their careers.

I personally think Whisenhunt probably knew how to use Mariota better than any coach he's had since, he was just unfortunately a terrible head coach.

Why not a passing game coordinator and a rushing game coordinator? It’s been done before.

I'm still going to be extremely disappointed if an interior lineman is not the first round pick

VN Store

Back