The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

mr.checkerboards

Then you create other holes that you need to spend capital on to fill. Not saying I disagree with what you outlined above but keep in mind that amount of money would likely only fill maybe two positions on o line once you replaced players cut. We will likely need to replace our center as well, I don't see him coming back. Besides Petite-Frier (sp?) I'm not sure there's another guy you want to keep on the o line, unless they are depth guys.
I get it, it's not perfect by any means but when you decide on an identity you have to build to it. With a salary cap your roster is always going to have holes, but if we are going to he a power run PA team then build to that. You need a good HB and dominant O line for that to happen. An every down TE is more important in this scheme as well.

KB5252

Repeat Forward Progress Victim
We have an "old school" offensive philosophy. Our foundational cornerstones are run the ball and use play action pass. What stood out to me last night was how our o line is not given priority relative to our offensive philosophy. Additionally, I was thinking back to other teams through the years who have (or had) a similar offensive scheme and they all had a go to Tight End. Which is another position we seem to not prioritize. I understand letting elite WR walk for more money given our approach. I don't understand failing to install a good O line and a workhorse TE.
The specialized roles for TE's has been a problem for the past two years. Based on personell the defense knows where and who to key on based on how Downing uses them. It's a problem built on a problem.

We need a big athletic TE that can block in the run game and chip and catch passes in play action.

KB5252

I get it, it's not perfect by any means but when you decide on an identity you have to build to it. With a salary cap your roster is always going to have holes, but if we are going to he a power run PA team then build to that. You need a good HB and dominant O line for that to happen. An every down TE is more important in this scheme as well.
See my post directly under yours. I absolutely agree.

orangepridenation

We have an "old school" offensive philosophy. Our foundational cornerstones are run the ball and use play action pass. What stood out to me last night was how our o line is not given priority relative to our offensive philosophy. Additionally, I was thinking back to other teams through the years who have (or had) a similar offensive scheme and they all had a go to Tight End. Which is another position we seem to not prioritize. I understand letting elite WR walk for more money given our approach. I don't understand failing to install a good O line and a workhorse TE.
Our first mistake was trying to build a team in the 21st century around a running back.

Granted, it was a fun couple of years.

hndog609

Was it just me (in the midst of WTF real time viewing) or did Henry often meet unblocked tacklers a lot last night? It's one thing to not have the players and have them getting repeatedly "beat" but there would have to be some serious schematic issues (or lack of a QB recognition) to have people meeting your RB behind the LOS with that kind of regularity, right?

GBO18

Legend in the making.....
Was it just me (in the midst of WTF real time viewing) or did Henry often meet unblocked tacklers a lot last night? It's one thing to not have the players and have them getting repeatedly "beat" but there would have to be some serious schematic issues (or lack of a QB recognition) to have people meeting your RB behind the LOS with that kind of regularity, right?
Every single running play it felt like somebody was in the backfield running free.

05_never_again

Our first mistake was trying to build a team in the 21st century around a running back.

Granted, it was a fun couple of years.
IMO, it is so obvious this team's window has closed. I know that is easy to say after a performance like last night but all indicators show that. Tannehill is 34 and declining, Henry is on the wrong side of 28 and has durability concerns, no other playmakers on offense.

KB5252

When the defense knows what you're going to run based on personell they can pin their ears back and send the house. Nothing the qb can do there but follow the play. If he checks out, like he did once or twice last, night you become the meat. Which he did.

It's a flaw in the way Downing calls offense. Smith was very good with a feel and flow of the game and called the right plays to keep the defense chasing his play calls. Downing doesn't have that instinct at all.

orangepridenation

IMO, it is so obvious this team's window has closed. I know that is easy to say after a performance like last night but all indicators show that. Tannehill is 34 and declining, Henry is on the wrong side of 28 and has durability concerns, no other playmakers on offense.
Yeah I agree the window for the team as it’s constructed is pretty much nailed shut.

The question now becomes how low does the team sink and will Vrabel/JRob survive a potential rebuild.

05_never_again

Yeah I agree the window for the team as it’s constructed is pretty much nailed shut.

The question now becomes how low does the team sink and will Vrabel/JRob survive a potential rebuild.
They'll let both go in about 2 years, when they are in the throes of said rebuild. Most people are too stubborn to see that we're basically already there though.

KB5252

Hearing they fear Lewan is out for season. May be a troll job though.

Edit:

Nope it's being reported by Buck Reising, he's plugged in with Titans.

Last edited:

loservol

K-town Vol Fan

Blood Runneth Orange
I wonder if it’s possible he’s played his last snap as a Titan.

Not sure what his contract looks like.
I would say definitely. Next year is his last year and he's owed almost 15 million. He doesn't have a dead hit so if they cut him they would save the whole 15 million.

By the end of this season he will have missed 31 games (more if we make playoffs) in the last 4 years. They would be absolutely dumb to keep him.

KB5252

He showed a lot of promise early on but he has been limited in his effectiveness, likely due to his injury. As others have said to keep him would be insane at this point..... And you would think that the Titans would move on but this front office has made some strange decisions that have left them desperate. I could see them keeping him.

I've heard rumors that players, free agents aren't real high on our o line coach and coordinator and that limits our options on the open market. Not sure how legit that is, maybe others have more info.

To be fair, that has led to us getting to experience winning the division a few times, being the number one seed in the afc, an afc championship game appearance, including road playoff wins over Tom Brady led pats and at Baltimore. Hasn’t been all bad.
It has been mostly good. I’m disappointed with the start to this season, but I’m not sure how anyone could think we have a terrible owner/GM/Head coach combo. Especially when you consider they inherited Mariota as the “franchise quarterback.”

KB5252

It has been mostly good. I’m disappointed with the start to this season, but I’m not sure how anyone could think we have a terrible owner/GM/Head coach combo. Especially when you consider they inherited Mariota as the “franchise quarterback.”
The GM has been mediocre at best. The offensive line has been terribly mismanaged and his gambles have cost us depth at positions all over this roster.

Whether it's this year or next year we are going to have to begin a rebuild. If I'm the owner I have no faith in his ability to do that moving forward.

The OC can be debated, partially because the GM has given him a very deep hole to work around given the nature of the offense they run.

VN Store