The Official Tennessee @ South Carolina Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Rick Barnes has done great here, but he lost that game at the end. Up by 1 with less than a minute. We call a timeout and we hold the ball until 2 seconds on the shot clock with no good shot in sight. Bad coaching moment led to a last minute loss.

Maybe but a senior like Bowden shouldn't have been that terrible at that moment.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I appreciate what he has done here(especially playing his role the last two years). But it's obvious he was never up to being the man. Either it's in you or not.

Yep. I was way annoyed at the beginning of the year but just accepted who he is as a player and anything we get out of him scoring wise is a bonus. Although him continuing to disappear in games still is a mystery. He knows he has to be the guy but doesn’t want to do be.

Yep. I was way annoyed at the beginning of the year but just accepted who he is as a player and anything we get out of him scoring wise is a bonus. Although him continuing to disappear in games still is a mystery. He knows he has to be the guy but doesn’t want to do be.

And the times he does accept it, he doesn't deliver.

Last week against UK, we were down 5 with about 4:00 to go and he has a wide open 3. He hits that and TBA explodes, we cut it to 2 and just maybe we go on to win. But he bricked it.

And then yesterday we're up I think 6 with under 3 to play and he again has a wide open 3 that would have pushed it to 9....and again he bricks it.

I can understand if they were contested 3s he was almost forced to shoot because of the shot clock or something, but he was wide open. He can't miss those.

Rick Barnes has done great here, but he lost that game at the end. Up by 1 with less than a minute. We call a timeout and we hold the ball until 2 seconds on the shot clock with no good shot in sight. Bad coaching moment led to a last minute loss.
Santiago tried to get the ball twice from Bowden and he waved him off then gave it up with 8 seconds. Was very dumb
Barnes had a play drawn up. We will never know how good the play was because the Hannibal kid was quicker than SV and there really was no way to get SV open other than bringing someone in to the play and throwing off the spacing. I know Barnes said since Vescovi was taken out the play they would have liked for Bowden to create a play, but that just isn’t what Bowden does. I don’t think Bowden has ever isolated or created a shot his whole career successfully. Every drive Bowden takes has a 50/50 chance at best and I don’t remember him taking any outside shots over two dribbles off the catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volle
And the times he does accept it, he doesn't deliver.

Last week against UK, we were down 5 with about 4:00 to go and he has a wide open 3. He hits that and TBA explodes, we cut it to 2 and just maybe we go on to win. But he bricked it.

And then yesterday we're up I think 6 with under 3 to play and he again has a wide open 3 that would have pushed it to 9....and again he bricks it.

I can understand if they were contested 3s he was almost forced to shoot because of the shot clock or something, but he was wide open. He can't miss those.

I guess something can be said that he continues to shoot and not entirely shy away. Most of his 3s are wide open or where a defender is closing out late and he misses most. We win 2-3 more games if he just shows up scoring wise.

I appreciate what he has done here(especially playing his role the last two years). But it's obvious he was never up to being the man. Either it's in you or not.

I wonder if Schofield, Williams, & Bone’s existence had more to do with how well he played last year?

No pressure to take over.

This year he doesn’t have 3 guys who could score at any given moment. Probably just doesn’t have that “it” factor like some players possess.

Reactions: vols 30
In two minutes. Folded against a mediocre South Carolina team we needed to win. Give the ball in the late minutes to someone who can handle the pressure, Not a rookie, sorry.

In two minutes. Folded against a mediocre South Carolina team we needed to win. Give the ball in the late minutes to someone who can handle the pressure, Not a rookie, sorry.
Shhhh you're going to upset the Barnes disciples and they'll wish bad things on you

tenor.png

Players making stupid turnovers are definitely Rick's fault. I agree, and those missed free throws? Also Rick's fault.

I wonder if Schofield, Williams, & Bone’s existence had more to do with how well he played last year?

No pressure to take over.

This year he doesn’t have 3 guys who could score at any given moment. Probably just doesn’t have that “it” factor like some players possess.

Don't forget about Turner. Even this season when Turner was "the man" Bowden had better numbers.

Yeah "mediocre" is a stretch, they are tied for 4th in the SEC at 8-5 with 16 wins with a win over Kentucky and a win @ Virginia.

The losses @ Georgia and home against A&M hurt us a lot more imo than a close road loss that came down to the last possession.

VN Store

Back