The Official Tennessee @ Mizzou Weekend Series Thread 3/17-3/19 (Fri. 4PM EST) (Sat. Postponed) (Sun. 2PM EST Doubleheader) (All games SEC NET+)

in the aftermath presser of the game last night, Tony indicated that outfield starts will be by situation, as assessed as need for more defense or more offense. He noted some of those guys were better at one or the other and PT will be determined by that. He noted Scott's speed as perhaps a guy they want to use as a pinch runner. He said he wants Dreiling's bat in the lineup most games, whether by DH or outfield play. But he also said he would not sacrifice the requirement that whoever was playing out there was familiar with the others out there with them. He lauded Tears as a guy who can lower the boom on the opponent with his bat.

I thought these comments were interesting, that we might have platoon-like outfield play, although not exactly a platoon. We have an abundance of lefty hitting outfielders, but only two righties (Merritt and Ensley - whatever happend to Backus?), so he isn't just simply going to go lefty-righty platoon. Gonna be interesting to see how he manages the outfield and the lineup going forward.

I have thought this all along. He has said and I have agreed that no one is stepping up and playing great defense and great batting at the same time. We either have to have defense in the OF or we have to have great batting by the OF. You would love both but right now it seems to be one or the other by all the guys in the running.
All I've heard about Backus is he struggled hitting in the fall. You don't want to play him a few games and take a chance of messing up his ability to redshirt. When you have that many guys, you want the ability to redshirt him and let him get a better feel and use him the next couple of years. I know there will be several that will fall into that category. We have some pitchers that we could use but letting them sit a year will give them time to get even better rather than using them sparingly and burn a year. When the guys you have are real good and maybe don't have a year to burn you use them and save your others who have a year to burn. Then you just hope they are willing to wait a year to contribute. Some are, some aren't. Just hope they see what happened to some of the guys last year who waited and were rewarded.

Looking at the weather and location of Taylor Stadium, a strong NW wind (10-15 mph) would hopefully blow over the left or visitors dug out that faces East and into their dug out on the right side that faces North. It is going to be really cold all weekend. Snow expected Thursday overnight and may still be around the area on Friday afternoon. Both teams have to play in it. The team who executes the best and overcomes adversity will win. Go Vols! Columbia, MO 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground

If he had taken that job. Kirby would have been a Tiger. He was already headed to Missouri until they fired the last staff and the new staff did not want Kirby. He went to a camp there which was required by PBR to go to the Future's Game and hit 3 HRs right handed and 2 left handed out of 7 pitches. He thew 7 pitches, all 7 for strikes, and got out all 4 guys he faced in the camp. But still no one talked to him. After the camp, the VA came to us as we were leaving and said off the sheet he was given, you need to work on your control with your pitching. Need to get in the weight room and get stronger in your hitting.
I was headed to the car but I couldn't help myself. After that, we weren't going there no matter what so why not burn the house down. I looked at that VA and said, as nice as I could, you have no clue and neither does whoever handed you that paper. I told him what Kirby had done and he turned red as could be. He said please stay right here. The HC wants to talk to you. I said nope, we are out of here. The RC called on the way home and said we messed up. I told him you messed up when you didn't interact with the best player at your camp. No other player hit a HR that day and you didn't talk to the one who hit 5 because all of ya'll were standing huddled up talking about something rather than watching him hit. Then he throws what would amounted to 1.1 perfect innings and you didn't notice because you were not even on the field. And your VA's and GA's were not smart enough to come get when while either were happening. If you can't get that stuff right, why would I trust my kid with you. So I hope we beat them by 50 every time we play them. They have made him fire his entire staff twice but kept him because they don't want to or can't pay his buyout.

Live look at all ten Missouri baseball fans reading this post:

1678906877852.gif

I was getting in the car as John and Jimmy were coming on. They said Missouri has essentially cancelled their spring football game by moving it indoors to a practice facility and not having spectators. I'm wondering what they would do with the baseball series? We're the better team but such horrible weather may be a factor. I would not want to be HBP when it's 29⁰!

As far as I know these aren't televised on SEC Network , only streaming. Move them to the daytime!

This wouldn't be a problem if they weren't in the conference!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Looking at the weather and location of Taylor Stadium, a strong NW wind (10-15 mph) would hopefully blow over the left or visitors dug out that faces East and into their dug out on the right side that faces North. It is going to be really cold all weekend. Snow expected Thursday overnight and may still be around the area on Friday afternoon. Both teams have to play in it. The team who executes the best and overcomes adversity will win. Go Vols! Columbia, MO 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground
Reading this, I can just feel the bees stinging my hands every time I hit a baseball in cold weather.

If he had taken that job. Kirby would have been a Tiger. He was already headed to Missouri until they fired the last staff and the new staff did not want Kirby. He went to a camp there which was required by PBR to go to the Future's Game and hit 3 HRs right handed and 2 left handed out of 7 pitches. He thew 7 pitches, all 7 for strikes, and got out all 4 guys he faced in the camp. But still no one talked to him. After the camp, the VA came to us as we were leaving and said off the sheet he was given, you need to work on your control with your pitching. Need to get in the weight room and get stronger in your hitting.
I was headed to the car but I couldn't help myself. After that, we weren't going there no matter what so why not burn the house down. I looked at that VA and said, as nice as I could, you have no clue and neither does whoever handed you that paper. I told him what Kirby had done and he turned red as could be. He said please stay right here. The HC wants to talk to you. I said nope, we are out of here. The RC called on the way home and said we messed up. I told him you messed up when you didn't interact with the best player at your camp. No other player hit a HR that day and you didn't talk to the one who hit 5 because all of ya'll were standing huddled up talking about something rather than watching him hit. Then he throws what would amounted to 1.1 perfect innings and you didn't notice because you were not even on the field. And your VA's and GA's were not smart enough to come get when while either were happening. If you can't get that stuff right, why would I trust my kid with you. So I hope we beat them by 50 every time we play them. They have made him fire his entire staff twice but kept him because they don't want to or can't pay his buyout.
Dayum, preach!

Brrr 🥶

Do you think they might play a DH on Friday, and then wrap up on Sunday? 15 to 25mph Wind and brutal cold (high 31 w a low of 20) on Sat. Playing Sat seems like a really bad idea and a recipe for injuries.

Friday 44/26 16mph NW winds
Saturday 31/21 16mph NW Winds
Sunday 40/18 7mph

At least no precip is expected as it's passing through this afternoon (where it's now 60 degrees
The Mizzou football spring game scheduled for Saturday at 11am has been moved to closed-to-public, indoor event for limited numbers

VN Store

Back