The Official Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPNU

Well no **** you expect players to get better. But you can’t just assume it’s going to happen. Their position is clearly the weak spot looking forward.

Lol. UP has played in 5 games his whole career.

You don’t take a transfer just for the heck of it. We will add two elite perimeter players next year, which will free up room for some of these guys. We don’t have a great mix right now. Guys can’t break down the defense or get their own shot. Next year, two will be able to.

Barnes has shown the ability to develop his players. Not that complicated.

I didn't get to see the game... but I heard that Tennessee was ahead 34-28 at halftime. Did we really allow 58 points in the 2nd half? Sheesh.

Reactions: tennrich1
I didn't get to see the game... but I heard that Tennessee was ahead 34-28 at halftime. Did we really allow 58 points in the 2nd half? Sheesh.

They were unconscious in the second half and we had no answer for their big Perry. He TOTALLY dominated us. Bowden didn't score until late in the second half.

It's just one of those years where we don't have a go-to offensive threat. A healthy Turner would have been the closest thing to it.

Turner with Vesovi would've been a really good duo. Turner could play off the ball then slash and shoot. Something he is great at. We can barely sniff the FT line now. Of course the low post game would still be weak.

Reactions: Lankykong
Our leading scorers left for the NBA draft and our starting PG got injured for the rest of the season.

Too many young and inexperienced players on the roster to make a run at the NCAA Tournament.

Next year we return almost everyone including Two 5*s and a 4* that’s supposed to be really good.

Barnes has shown the ability to develop his players so we can’t write him off.

Next year we should be dancing.

Simply this our players aren’t as athletic as the teams we are playing. #21 is charmin soft. Bowden keeps leaning in when shooting 3’s thus creating bad shooting percentage. Pons is limited offensively. When we swing back to top of key none of our bigs shoot the ball with range so defenders sag off making our cuts less effective. Uros showed some inside skill today, has to get miles better on D.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Lol. UP has played in 5 games his whole career.

You don’t take a transfer just for the heck of it. We will add two elite perimeter players next year, which will free up room for some of these guys. We don’t have a great mix right now. Guys can’t break down the defense or get their own shot. Next year, two will be able to.

Barnes has shown the ability to develop his players. Not that complicated.
uh yeah... it’s not complicated. Look at the projected depth chart. it’s by far the weakest part of the roster

Back Court: Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Keon Johnson, Walker, Gaines

Front court: Uros, Pember, ORN

Who looks at this and says, meh we’re good in the front court

You continue to recruit positions to improve talent and depth. Our front court is an obvious risk in both departments. Again just stating the obvious. Only on VN can you find someone to argue against the obvious

Next year we gonna have too many wing types .. jjj, springer, Oregon transfer, keon johnson , Jalen Johnson, Gainesville, plumber., pons .. only bigs are fully, kumwa, uros .. and the other frosh coming in .. viscovi as pg .. so that too many 6'4 to 6'6 guys .. not enough 6'8 to 6'9 strong guys .. fulky will never be bulky , kumwa doesn't want to mix it up and uros just not athletic or physical enough right now but expect him to improve.. he is aggressive in some ways just needs more quickness and physicality.. I think he will mix it up .. kumwa I'm not sure he seems passive .

Our front court will be a weakness next year unless we get significant improvement, even from Fulky. When he plays against other bigs, he tends to force too many shots. Of course he almost has to force shots because we have no outside shooters.

Reactions: Lankykong
You continue to recruit positions to improve talent and depth. Our front court is an obvious risk in both departments. Again just stating the obvious. Only on VN can you find someone to argue against the obvious

Lol. You must be right. Kudos.

No one ever said quit recruiting certain positions, but you love interpreting things incorrectly. Also, I don’t believe Walker is considered a “backcourt” player. He’s 6’7” and don’t believe would be considered a ball handler.

People just have a difficult time understanding the other side of a discussion. I can’t help if folks can’t keep up with it.

Your scenario is for 2021-2022 anyway, and they will definitely recruit front court next year. Pons will be a solid contributor when adding Springer and Johnson.

Back Court: Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Keon Johnson, Walker, Gaines

Front court: Uros, Pember, ORN

Who looks at this and says, meh we’re good in the front court
I agree...and it’s arguable that Pember is a big (he could be played as a 3). I guess Walker is probably a 4 though.

We can bet on the current bigs improving, but we will still need more.

Our front court will be a weakness next year unless we get significant improvement, even from Fulky. When he plays against other bigs, he tends to force too many shots. Of course he almost has to force shots because we have no outside shooters.
When we have shooters, it won’t be as imperative for him to force shots. He’s still by far our most efficient offensive player.

When we have shooters, it won’t be as imperative for him to force shots. He’s still by far our most efficient offensive player.

Yea, adding two elite backcourt players really helps your front court. Fulky and Pons will be fine with better perimeter play.

Our leading scorers left for the NBA draft and our starting PG got injured for the rest of the season.

Too many young and inexperienced players on the roster to make a run at the NCAA Tournament.

Next year we return almost everyone including Two 5*s and a 4* that’s supposed to be really good.

Barnes has shown the ability to develop his players so we can’t write him off.

Next year we should be dancing.

If we aren't dancing next year Barnes seat gets warm

Didn't he score 12 points in the 2H?
When the game was out of hand. If he does anything whatsoever in the first half, we maybe take a 10-12 lead into halftime and that possibly changes the dynamic of how the second half is played. Instead, he no shows yet again and scores all his points in meaningless garbage time. Vescovi’s play was a positive, as was Uros’ and Johnson’s. But we continue to need senior leadership from Bowden and he continues to show it’s just not in him.

VN Store

Back