The Official Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPNU

I can agree with your point to an extent, and there have been some open shots missed for sure. But this team isn't creating shots, the offense isn't being run like a Rick Barnes offense right now, it isn't only about missed shots.

Yea, I didn’t say it wasn’t.

When you got trailers that can’t or won’t drive....

When you got the point unable or unwilling to drive early in the clock....

When you got “some” players who won’t take shots or who “will” miss shots the defense does NOT hav wrong over correct....

When the D is not overly concerned about you getting the ball down low......their 3 or 4 does not have to help (as much) therefore creating someone who is open.

Also with the above.....if the 5 or 4 isnt getting the ball enough....and isn’t commanding a double or at least help......the dump off will not be as open as it could/should be.

There are many aspects to this offense which is not working properly.....because players are not hitting shots, and because players are not driving, because players are not
Commanding “help” from the D and a bunch of various reasons.

But to say Barnes “system” isn’t getting people open is ignorant......it does. The O looks bad, because it’s being run and executed badly.

Reactions: sport3500
I wish somebody would. I know there are going to be growing pains adding two players (esp w one being the starting PG) mid-season, but the offense has looked really bad more games than not, thus far.
I have to somewhat agree. We look lost at times.

Hope you’re right, but I expected us to struggle offensively, especially after Turner went out. But we are horrifically bad on defense. I didn’t see that happening on a Barnes coached team.
That was obviously a big key tonight. I keep saying it, but we have to play well defensively to stay in games and we didn't do that tonight.

JJJ is the only highly rated prospect we have, and its obvious he didn't deserve a 5 star rating. He's got NBA potential but has a long way to go.
He has a NBA body but nothing about his game makes me think he will be in the NBA and I might eat my words before he leaves but right now there is no way he sees the NBA. He can rebound and if he scores ,its usually in the 1st half and then disappears. He plays lazy D and he really cant dribble. I will be more than glad to eat my words if he all of a sudden goes crazy

Yea, I didn’t say it wasn’t.

When you got trailers that can’t or won’t drive....

When you got the point unable or unwilling to drive early in the clock....

When you got “some” players who won’t take shots or who “will” miss shots the defense does NOT hav wrong over correct....

When the D is not overly concerned about you getting the ball down low......their 3 or 4 does not have to help (as much) therefore creating someone who is open.

Also with the above.....if the 5 or 4 isnt getting the ball enough....and isn’t commanding a double or at least help......the dump off will not be as open as it could/should be.

There are many aspects to this offense which is not working properly.....because players are not hitting shots, and because players are not driving, because players are not
Commanding “help” from the D and a bunch of various reasons.

But to say Barnes “system” isn’t getting people open is ignorant......it does. The O looks bad, because it’s being run and executed badly.
I don't think anyone is saying Barnes' system doesn't work. Only that this isn't his offense right now. It's a disaster.

Reactions: tnvols72
We got a long way to go. Chemistry is lacking and tonight the effort was which isn't something to usually say about a Barnes vols team. Too many missed opportunities on 50/50 balls, too many missed shots (again), and to many just down right plays that they got out hustled. Need to get things together down the stretch

Ah I see now. If they move it to 7 EST then everyone wouldn’t be home in central zone. Biggest problem is them waiting so long to play the game. Do the game on on a Saturday before the NFL playoffs and we won’t have to do it on a Monday.

Yeah that. I live in CST, and it would be hard for me to make it home by 6 in time for kickoff. I probably could but a good chunk wouldn't.

Not to sound like the orange-colored glasses wearing homer that I am, but I think this team gets better down the stretch. We're snakebit from long range. Good shots aren't falling and we have two new pieces on a team that already lost four starters. Big game on Saturday. Definitely need a win against Vandy.

I mostly agree, but part of it I'm not sure we can get that much worse. I mean I know we can, but we already shouldn't be playing as badly as we are.

I know we're not a team of 4 and 5 stars but I'd like to think we're still better than we've seen. It makes me that much more confused because Barnes usually can get the most of out his team, but it looks like this one isn't responding.

They are not running a offense. I get they refuse to shoot but being open has nothing to do with running a offense. and when they pass the ball around they are too slow at doing that ,so when a guy is open and by the time the pass gets there the defense has already recovered. The only time this offense works is when teams play zone and they can screen and curl off of it and get Bowden open at the FT line and he is money but nobody zones this team.They dont have to.

Agree

But this doesn’t really have anything to do with Barnes’ offense.......”this” team just isn’t getting it done.

The offense, is almost brilliant.....probably is. It’s just not being ran properly.

Mostly because people are missing shots, and others are hesitant because of that......along with actual player movement, driving, and low post play......the D does not have to over correct.....at all right now.....thus “not allowing” for “more” open shots. Right now most of the “open” shots......the spot ups and even the catch and shoots....are simply from passing and the D just getting caught more to one side.

But all of this “crap” isn’t on Barnes....these guys just missing.

Sure some of it is, but it’s not really a system or coaching “fault.”......just unlucky.....or players simply not as good as we thought they would/could be.

I think they will play better. CRB played most everyone tonight. Pretty sure he is gauging how the new guys will fit. Some of you exaggerate and make it seem worse. They looked disorganized at times but they are having to mix and match on the job. Two new guys after conference play started. That's kind of late to be experimenting with new players. Hey, just enjoy the growth and diversity. We're an international team. A Serb, a Finn, a Uruguayan, a Frenchman. We've got it all if we can just get them playing as a unit.

Barnes should start coaching this team during the game. I don't think he even left his seat until late in the second half.
I was saying this way earlier in the season as well. He's coaching but I think he's also letting this team play and see who is doing what he's asking. The crackdown is coming.

Edit: this is a fragile team, they aren't tough.... And he knows it.

I was saying this way earlier in the season as well. He's coaching but I think he's also letting this team play and see who is doing what he's asking. The crackdown is coming.

Coaching is not all about standing during the entire game, screaming from the rooftop and sweating out of your jacket.

There is this thing in dancing that you never show you are practicing your dance moves in front of people. You practice behind the scenes.

I like Barnes composure. That is the way he coach. You are not going to get progressively better in 40 minutes. They were coaching the guys during timeouts.

I missed the game bible class tonight but was listening to Coach Barnes coming home. He said his team tonight in every aspect of game was SOFT. Watching to much and SOFT around the rim missing to many easy buckets. He said his point guards do not push the ball which gets you easy shots and gets you into your offense if nothing materializes first. Bone was good at this. Thoughts to everyone who watched

I'm quoting my own post to correct something after considering, I think he's trying to determine if some of these players are capable of doing what he's asking. If he stays the course and lets the game come to the players or if he needs to tweak some things to facilitate their game and overcome their weaknesses.

I see changes coming.

One thing that I would like to see Barnes and his staff do is let the team push tempo at every opportunity to get some easier baskets because they are not generating enough turnovers on the defensive end.

Edwards could possibly be better than Wilkins was at Georgia and he is certainly a first round pick in the NBA Draft.

James had a solid game.

VN Store

Back