The Official Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPNU

Not to sound like the orange-colored glasses wearing homer that I am, but I think this team gets better down the stretch. We're snakebit from long range. Good shots aren't falling and we have two new pieces on a team that already lost four starters. Big game on Saturday. Definitely need a win against Vandy.

The point is our 5 star is really a 3.5 to a 4 at best

Well, he is still only a freshman that was injured throughout a large majority of the preseason. He will be back with the team and be able to have a whole offseason of specialized training. He has a lot of tools, and I trust Barnes and his staff will ultimately get as much potential out of him as possible.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Just a terrible offensive strategy tonight. Fulky touched the ball like three times, Pons et al jacking low % threes, every drive got kicked back out, . . . We are really struggling for an identity.
We might want to start building a defensive identity. No effort.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
but @JoAllan is going to explain the offense

I don’t need to explain anything.

But you talk about passing and passing.....while not even knowing what this offense is.....now go read a Rick Barnes offense book and then act like you actually know something about the O.

It was very obvious you didn’t.

are our 5* that were signed like JJJ 5* or Edwards 5* that is the question

Springer is closer to Edwards, not sure about Keon or Walker.

But every new player should be a “wait & see”

James, Santi, Uros, Pember, Olivier, Gaines are all playing this year for the first time.

Fulky, Jalen, Bowden, Pons all have at least 3 years with Barnes. They shouldn’t be losing minutes to new guys. Unfortunately they aren’t playing as well as they should at this point in their careers.

Especially Jalen. Fulky is what he is, good player who puts in the effort but he can’t carry a team. Bowden’s been so cold it’s just hard to watch. Pons has grown, but still seems to settle

Reactions: tnvols72
I don’t need to explain anything.

But you talk about passing and passing.....while not even knowing what this offense is.....now go read a Rick Barnes offense book and then act like you actually know something about the O.

It was very obvious you didn’t.
I can agree with your point to an extent, and there have been some open shots missed for sure. But this team isn't creating shots, the offense isn't being run like a Rick Barnes offense right now, it isn't only about missed shots.

Reactions: tnvols72
I don't think you understood what I just said.
Ah I see now. If they move it to 7 EST then everyone wouldn’t be home in central zone. Biggest problem is them waiting so long to play the game. Do the game on on a Saturday before the NFL playoffs and we won’t have to do it on a Monday.

I don’t just make stuff up....it is what it is. They have been giving up under 60 per game coming in to this game. Over all their D has been very good this year.....just not every game as we have seen.

You asked, I stated.

Also there were many open looks from 3, from 10-15 ft, and even near the basket.....this team simply isn’t hitting.

The O passes a lot, but that is only one part of the O. Without hitting shots, and without driving.....some parts will never be as successful......but make no mistake this O system works.....you just need players to make shots.....lately this team hasn’t been doing that.

Also this system isn’t designed to wait until the clock expires.....but when you got players refusing to shoot.....it sometimes works out like that.......that is also why Bowden has been shooting so much......even while missing.......someone has to shoot the ball.

They are not running a offense. I get they refuse to shoot but being open has nothing to do with running a offense. and when they pass the ball around they are too slow at doing that ,so when a guy is open and by the time the pass gets there the defense has already recovered. The only time this offense works is when teams play zone and they can screen and curl off of it and get Bowden open at the FT line and he is money but nobody zones this team.They dont have to.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Not to sound like the orange-colored glasses wearing homer that I am, but I think this team gets better down the stretch. We're snakebit from long range. Good shots aren't falling and we have two new pieces on a team that already lost four starters. Big game on Saturday. Definitely need a win against Vandy.
Hope you’re right, but I expected us to struggle offensively, especially after Turner went out. But we are horrifically bad on defense. I didn’t see that happening on a Barnes coached team.

I think Barnes is a very good coach but it's hard to deny this. Even he is not a magician but I think he is maximizing the team's ability. I just think the roster has limitations. The Turner loss hurt big.

I wish somebody would. I know there are going to be growing pains adding two players (esp w one being the starting PG) mid-season, but the offense has looked really bad more games than not, thus far.
It has looked bad since the Washington game. Its got worse every game. If anybody wants to go back to the last 3-4 and look. This team was doing well to score 24 in a half. We all knew this team was not going to be close to last years but I dont think anybody thought this team would be this bad and if there is anybody out there that says they knew ,then would be telling a lie. Right now there is nothing that this team is good at.

Hope you’re right, but I expected us to struggle offensively, especially after Turner went out. But we are horrifically bad on defense. I didn’t see that happening on a Barnes coached team.

It’s just one game.

I think Barnes is a very good coach but it's hard to deny this. Even he is not a magician but I think he is maximizing the team's ability. I just think the roster has limitations. The Turner loss hurt big.
UT definitely didn't have a leader when UGA went on that run to end the first half.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I get it but it really isn't a mic drop. Some of these players were highly ranked prospects as well. We'll see what we have when they get on the court. Until then I'm not counting any chickens.

JJJ is the only highly rated prospect we have, and its obvious he didn't deserve a 5 star rating. He's got NBA potential but has a long way to go.

I like Barnes also and want him to succeed. This team is not getting any better, maybe 2 weeks from now they will but for the last 2 weeks to now, they are getting worse.

I think you are right but only because they can't get worse.

In all seriousness I expect they will get better our young point will begin to figure out what he can and can't do in this league, he hasn't adjusted to the speed yet. He might be better as a combo if we have someone else to run the offense through next year.

Interior D will get better with Plavsic, he's not going to be much help offensively I expect.

I just don't know who our shooters are going to be.

VN Store

Back