The Official Tennessee @ #6 Kentucky Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, ESPN

Tennessee showed me they can be a great team! Even thought UK scored 73 points, their defense had several bright moments. The mental toughness and will to make the extra play was crucial for us down the stretch. Key moment for me are when Fulkerson tipped the ball out for that easy layup for James and then Santiago tipped the ball out for a defensive rebound. Those are the things stat sheets don’t show. Go VOLS!

Good call Sport!

I know we played hard with good D after the break put it was obvious UK wasn't into it late.
Tennessee hit them in the mouth, and Kentucky wilted. Kentucky wanted and needed this game badly for potential NCAA seeding. They were out-gritted, outsmarted, and outplayed by Tennessee. This game had nothing to do with "not into it" late, unless you're talking about the last 24 seconds.

Good call Sport!

I know we played hard with good D after the break put it was obvious UK wasn't into it late.
I don't think it was that obvious and I don't buy it as an excuse. This was Kentucky's last home game of the season. Who wants to end a season with a loss at home? Also, this could prove costly for them. It definitely removes them from contention for a 1 seed, and may even cost them a 2 seed as well.

Read the Calipari Q&A above and I will have to say, he is a class guy now. I used to not like him when he was at Memphis but since he has been at KY he seems to be much more complimentary of other teams, not blaming officials for losses etc. Not sure how many will agree but I see a different coach now.

Agreed that he owns his losses and is complimentary to other team. Seems to really respect Barnes.

Reactions: VolNExile
Agreed that he owns his losses and is complimentary to other team. Seems to really respect Barnes.
I do like how he talks about Barnes (respects him a lot more than some posters on here), but idk about owning losses. When a reporter asked about Evansville earlier this season, he blew up at him and then emphasized all of the adversity Kentucky was facing when they lost to a team at home that would go on to be 0-18 in the Missouri Valley Conference

Read the Calipari Q&A above and I will have to say, he is a class guy now. I used to not like him when he was at Memphis but since he has been at KY he seems to be much more complimentary of other teams, not blaming officials for losses etc. Not sure how many will agree but I see a different coach now.

Calipari used to be a manipulator in the media. I live in Memphis, and some of the stories are funny. He would say things over and over again that people believe to be true, and if you looked it up, it isn't. I don't know if he still does that, but that is one aspect of his success.

However, at UK, he has a good team every year. He is very similar to Barnes (Barnes actually said they were similar on radio earlier in the week) in that he is also honest about his players and their mistakes. He and Barnes have a good relationship and like each other.

Reactions: VolNExile
He's better, but he still mentioned in his post game remarks that the game was "physical" and he mentioned it on 4 different occasions. His inference was that Tennessee got away with some stuff and he wished his team had as well. In reality, Fulky was fouled everytime downcourt. Kentucky gets away with physical play much more so than Tennessee.

Tennessee showed me they can be a great team! Even thought UK scored 73 points, their defense had several bright moments. The mental toughness and will to make the extra play was crucial for us down the stretch. Key moment for me are when Fulkerson tipped the ball out for that easy layup for James and then Santiago tipped the ball out for a defensive rebound. Those are the things stat sheets don’t show. Go VOLS!
He is saying that stuff to influence the refs for the next game. I hope Tennessee gets the Cats again. It will be another butt kicking.

He's better, but he still mentioned in his post game remarks that the game was "physical" and he mentioned it on 4 different occasions. His inference was that Tennessee got away with some stuff and he wished his team had as well. In reality, Fulky was fouled everytime downcourt. Kentucky gets away with physical play much more so than Tennessee.
You nailed it. Kentucky is a little better than average team without biased officiating.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
You nailed it. Kentucky is a little better than average team without biased officiating.
No doubt. Kind of amazes me that they can have the number 1 recruiting classes, and certainly the top 2 or 3, and still not win more championships. In the end, we all are judged on titles, not good teams.

Reactions: onevol74
I will say that the game was called more evenly the last 10 minutes, but in the first half, we were getting mugged. The refs were letting Kentucky's players run through screens all night. Fulkerson took a cheap shot with no call. However, Plavsic's hip check was called.

I will say that the game was called more evenly the last 10 minutes, but in the first half, we were getting mugged. The refs were letting Kentucky's players run through screens all night. Fulkerson took a cheap shot with no call. However, Plavsic's hip check was called.
I agree. Jusak elbowed him in the gut and was purely an intentional cheap shot. There was a play called underneath the basket where it clearly looked like JJ. fouled the UK guy, but the fouls was called on Kentucky. Give and take, but Kentucky in general gets away with a lot.

VN Store

Back