The Official Tennessee @ #4 Alabama Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN

Guess if one plays golf and on the first 9 he shoots 3 under par and the last nine he shoots 7 over par to finish 4 over par he should pat himself on the back for doing so good on the front nine. These moral victories are for the birds. And going by alot of you guys logic in 16 years there have 3 moral victories for us against Bama. That is freaking great progress. đź‘Ť
It is difficult to compare an individual sport to a team sport. You could also compare you or me playing golf to almost any pro golfer and say I shot a 73 but lost to one of the top four pros and patting ourselves on our backs for playing well. Bama is the 4th ranked team in the Nation and we are winning more games and playing better than 95% of football experts predicted. We will like win 7 games which hardly anyone predicted. We are likely to play in a bowl game which hardly anyone predicted. I am vey excited the way our team is playing and look forward for the rest of this season and the future.

Reactions: allen phillips
If
It is difficult to compare an individual sport to a team sport. You could also compare you or me playing golf to almost any pro golfer and say I shot a 73 but lost to one of the top four pros and patting ourselves on our backs for playing well. Bama is the 4th ranked team in the Nation and we are winning more games and playing better than 95% of football experts predicted. We will like win 7 games which hardly anyone predicted. We are likely to play in a bowl game which hardly anyone predicted. I am vey excited the way our team is playing and look forward for the rest of this season and the future.
If day in and day out I continuously choke at my job, eventually I will be replaced. Or better yet if the guys that work for me continuously fail to perform, then it is a reflection of me so, my company will terminate me. I'm not knocking Heupel, said numerous times he is the man for the job, but really though how many years is it acceptable to constantly get blown out by our rivals? And honestly how many years solid can we use depth as an excuse?

The experts predicted 24.5 point spread. The game was 28. Ole miss was a toss up game. So explain to me how we have performed better than expected?

Oh. And UT was a 3 point underdog to pitt. So again right on track with expectations

If

If day in and day out I continuously choke at my job, eventually I will be replaced. Or better yet if the guys that work for me continuously fail to perform, then it is a reflection of me so, my company will terminate me. I'm not knocking Heupel, said numerous times he is the man for the job, but really though how many years is it acceptable to constantly get blown out by our rivals? And honestly how many years solid can we use depth as an excuse?
This analogy is absurd. At what job are you constantly failing?

Are you a detective and expected to never fail to solve the perfect crime?

Are you a border patrol agent and expected to stop all illegals from crossing the border?

Are you a market analyst and expect to time each market correction perfectly?

Are you a firefighter and expected to never fail to save a fully engulfed structure?

Are you a soldier who was expected not to fail to capture or kill Bin Laden for over 10 years?

You're like, "I'm a doctor who doesn't kill a bunch of patients (or whatever you do,) so Hype shouldn't get blown out at UF and Bama in year one."

Are you a border patrol agent and expected to stop all illegals from crossing the border?

Are you a firefighter and expected to never fail to save a fully engulfed structure?

Are you a soldier who was expected not to fail to capture or kill Bin Laden for over 10 years?

You're like, "I'm a doctor who doesn't kill a bunch of patients (or whatever you do,) so Hype shouldn't get blown out at UF and Bama in year one."
What analogy should be used then? Experts predicted 24.5 points at bama. Spread covered. Toss up ole miss. Spread covered. Experts predicted mediocre football from UT, and it's exactly what we are getting. The absolute worst team bama has fielded in 15 years and still cover the Spread. Terrible florida team still covered the Spread. So exactly what areas are improved? I agree the team has more energy, but I'm not accepting of getting blown out by our rivals for years on end, and if you are then you should check your fan card.

FWIW, I thought the VOLS played a helluva game last night. UGA will be a tough game. We need a bye week in a big way. I thought the roughing penalty on Banks was a bad call. Our problem last night was a failure to stop their offense. At times we were good and made good calls but, a lot of plays we were out of gas and out of position. More whiffs than I cared to count. Hopefully, recruits will like the new coaching staff and we will get better and deeper.

And all I'm saying is "hype" had them on the ropes and the stars were aligning and he let his foot off of the gas by calling 3 straight run plays for net 0 yards inside the 10 yard line and 3 other offensive possessions. Yall acting like I think he should be fired. I love the guy but also I'm not blind and able to admit yea that could've been done differently just like I'm sure he's watching film today and saying that to himself

Reactions: 1967vol
You do realize if you do that, this offense won't work right? It's all about pressure, not letting D sub, etc.... D would be be getting plenty of breathers if the 3rd down defense was even decent....Right now we have virtually zero depth and less than a handful of talented players. That doesn't help.
Yes…we gotta have the bodies to rotate the defensive players or our offense will wear our defense down. That, IMO, is what hurt us last night.

Do we need more defensive players than offensive players on the 85 man limit to be able to sub more?

Seems this would be very attractive to a lot of recruits knowing how much we will need to rotate and quick playing time because we just don’t have the bodies now.

The experts predicted 24.5 point spread. The game was 28. Ole miss was a toss up game. So explain to me how we have performed better than expected?
At the beginning of the season, we were not even expecting to be in the game. Believe the FPI had us favored in only 4 games this season…our performance so far this year brought what the spread would have been down to a tossup.

That is performing better than we expected.

and I am 100% in agreement with you about getting blown out is never acceptable.

Oh. And UT was a 3 point underdog to pitt. So again right on track with expectations
It turns out Pitt is a top ten team playing with a ton of senior talent, a top QB in the Nation and a stubborn talented defense that just beat a preseason top 2-3 ranked team. None of the teams we have played entered the season with a new coaching staff, a new AD, the loss of 40 football players to other teams, no experience at many positions, especially the skilled positions, and then suffer injuries to key personnel during the season. Even under all these conditions our team has played much better than predicted and will play in a bowl game this year unless the NCAA restricts it. Everyone knows you are a troll and your posts continue to prove such. Actually, all football fans can do without your foolish approach to our progress being made under the dire circumstances currently faced. I see no reason to continue this discussion on this board. I hope you do well living in your misery .

I'm not miserable, I'm also not blind. The results are the same as they have been. New scheme, new coach same results on score board

Guess if one plays golf and on the first 9 he shoots 3 under par and the last nine he shoots 7 over par to finish 4 over par he should pat himself on the back for doing so good on the front nine. These moral victories are for the birds. And going by alot of you guys logic in 16 years there have 3 moral victories for us against Bama. That is freaking great progress. đź‘Ť

Again, no one is happy about losing and there is limited value in moral victories outside of a measuring stick. Your analogy is flawed as it assumes the talent level is even when it isn't. Tennessee has nowhere near the depth or talent that Alabama has right now and for Tennessee to play them even up essentially for a good part of the game gives us good information as to the trajectory of the program.

If

To counter your logic , if that failing man begins to show improvement in his work as CJH has, then do you not encourage and keep him in your employment? Or do we scrub the whole football program as a waste of time? Seems to me that is what you are recommending.

Reactions: delvol
What analogy should be used then? Experts predicted 24.5 points at bama. Spread covered. Toss up ole miss. Spread covered. Experts predicted mediocre football from UT, and it's exactly what we are getting. The absolute worst team bama has fielded in 15 years and still cover the Spread. Terrible florida team still covered the Spread. So exactly what areas are improved? I agree the team has more energy, but I'm not accepting of getting blown out by our rivals for years on end, and if you are then you should check your fan card.
Lol "check your fan card"is a phrase only used by a giant a-hole. And your analysis is terrible for so many reasons.

Reactions: delvol
If

Until we get depth and experienced players and facts are nor usually classified as excuses.

Lol "check your fan card"is a phrase only used by a giant a-hole. And your analysis is terrible for so many reasons.
Well then, division 1 college football expert, explain to me how my analysis is wrong. Go back and look at past years and show me exactly where improvement is, because it's not on the scoreboard. I'm guessing you're one of the guys that accept moral victories as improvement. UT scored more points against Georgia than anyone else but still Georgia covered the point spread of double digits, so please tell me where the improvement is, beside the playing with more energy

To counter your logic , if that failing man begins to show improvement in his work as CJH has, then do you not encourage and keep him in your employment? Or do we scrub the whole football program as a waste of time? Seems to me that is what you are recommending.
It's not what I'm recommending, but people accepting double digit losses to the big 3 when Florida is a crap show, is unacceptable. There is no way anyone can make me believe there was improvement against Florida and pitt

Again, no one is happy about losing and there is limited value in moral victories outside of a measuring stick. Your analogy is flawed as it assumes the talent level is even when it isn't. Tennessee has nowhere near the depth or talent that Alabama has right now and for Tennessee to play them even up essentially for a good part of the game gives us good information as to the trajectory of the program.
And just asking, how does our talent stack against up against the worst Florida team in years? But we did secure ANOTHER moral victory against the Florida team that lost to Missouri

It's not what I'm recommending, but people accepting double digit losses to the big 3 when Florida is a crap show, is unacceptable. There is no way anyone can make me believe there was improvement against Florida and pitt
I will agree to that, but with what CJH inherited when he came in, I would think that you would give him some leeway. I became a fan of UT football in 1977 and so I was there in the glory days. I lived through the years we beat the Bamas 9 years in a row. Those were the years we had strong leadership in the school's administration. We hired a bean counter as AD and things went to Hell in a hurry. Hopefully, we are on the road to recovery.

And just asking, how does our talent stack against up against the worst Florida team in years? But we did secure ANOTHER moral victory against the Florida team that lost to Missouri
I would argue right now that they have a a little more talent and more depth than UT does at present.

VN Store

Back