The Official Tennessee @ #13 Auburn Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, CBS

"Final Fours mean nothing if you don't win them..."

Yeah sure OK man! How is it meaningless to hope the program accomplishes something it never has before?
Yea it’d be nice but if you don’t win the actual title who cares? Do you think Jacksonville State has a better program because they went to a Final Four? Of course not. Imagine bragging we finished fourth!!!

Some people are acting like this is the first time Auburn came back from a big deficit. This is their MO. They pretty much sleep in the first half

Yea it’d be nice but if you don’t win the actual title who cares? Do you think Jacksonville State has a better program because they went to a Final Four? Of course not. Imagine bragging we finished fourth!!!

You seem pretty dense: First Final Four, then National Final, then National Champions. You can't "win the actual title" if you don't make it to a measly Final Four first!

We should want to get to a FF, but there are barriers to why it’s tough. One is talent, and another is bad hires in the last 24 years. The one we did make a good hire absolutely screwed himself and the school.

People act like it should be automatic for us to win every year, and that just isn’t the case.

It's tough to get there for any team. But you have Texas Tech there, Oklahoma has been to multiple final fours. Butler has been to multiple. Some people around here act like you've grown a second head if you suggest we should get to a final four. Coaching and development affects college basketball more than pure talent. In football you have to have both. In basketball you only have to have capable players and a great coach. If it were talent or access to talent alone Kentucky would be in the final four along with Duke and North Carolina every single year. Georgia Tech and UCLA would fight for the other spot as they sit on a giant pile of talent.

We should expect the NCAA tournament every year and actually make it 75-80 percent of the time. We underachieve in that department.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It's tough to get there for any team. But you have Texas Tech there, Oklahoma has been to multiple final fours. Butler has been to multiple. Some people around here act like you've grown a second head if you suggest we should get to a final four. Coaching and development affects college basketball more than pure talent. In football you have to have both. In basketball you only have to have capable players and a great coach. If it were talent or access to talent alone Kentucky would be in the final four along with Duke and North Carolina every single year. Georgia Tech and UCLA would fight for the other spot as they sit on a giant pile of talent.

We should expect the NCAA tournament every year and actually make it 75-80 percent of the time. We underachieve in that department.
UT has only made about 40% of the tournaments since it went to 64 teams. 80% isn’t realistic

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
UT has only made about 40% of the tournaments since it went to 64 teams. 80% isn’t realistic

That coincided with by far the worst stretch of basketball and coaching in program history. In the 68 team era we should be in every 7 or 8 of every 10 years. The blue bloods go 95+ percent of the time. But we shouldn't be worse than a step or two back from them.

Basketball also requires a lot of luck to get to the title game

Reactions: VolGee4

You can give us exceptions all day long, but I bet Duke, Kansas, UK, UNC, and Michigan State have ruled the FF’s the last 20 years.

Actually pure talent has a lot to do with winning a championship. It’s why Michigan State was an exception this year with some title predictions. They don’t have a projected lottery pick, and that has been something most title teams have had for years. While Roy Williams and Calipari are good coaches, I can certainly argue they aren’t that much better (or any) for that matter over Barnes. They just get talent.

Reactions: gainesvol82
He’s the one who started this mess
This is true and just speaking for myself here, I'm more comfortable having a coach without the integrity issues.... and it's not like Barnes hasn't produced similar results to Pearl. Last season was just as good as any that Bruce had here. And if choking in the NCAA Tournament bothers you, I sure hope you missed the 2nd half of the Sweet 16 game against Ohio State in 2007.

He’s the one who started this mess

Lol, no. Our AD threw Pearl to the Sharks to avoid the NCAA looking too deeply into the football program. It baffles me to see how many people actually blame Pearl over what would of been a minor violation at every other school in the country. I'm happy with Barnes, but BP is still the greatest coach in UT history until Barnes proves otherwise. Gonna have to make that final 4.

Reactions: KBVol
Lol, no. Our AD threw Pearl to the Sharks to avoid the NCAA looking too deeply into the football program. It baffles me to see how many people actually blame Pearl over what would of been a minor violation at every other school in the country. I'm happy with Barnes, but BP is still the greatest coach in UT history until Barnes proves otherwise. Gonna have to make that final 4.

Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve.....

Once again, the BBQ situation itself wasn’t the issue.

He lied to his employer, the NCAA, and also got players to lie for him because he didn’t want to admit that he f**ked up.

It was his own selfish actions that cost him his job. Don’t blame the university for his mistakes.

Lol. Pearl is absolutely to blame for what happened in the first place. I was pissed that we decided to fire him and not fight back. But in hindsight, he has now had an assistant indicted in federal court. To put all blame on our administration is asinine.

Of course, he should be blamed for it. It was a minor violation here until he lied about not knowing who the wife of an assistant was in a picture taken in his house, and then tried to get Aaron Craft's dad to lie to help cover it up. It baffles me that anyone would try to defend that. And the NCAA did dig into the football program. You are clueless.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Pearl had a great run here but Mears was UT’s greatest coach

VN Store

Back