The Official Tennessee @ #13 Auburn Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, CBS

Barnes has done everything that Pearl did here, but without cheating, save for making the elite eight (which would’ve happened had the basketball gods not decided to give Steph Curry powers to Ryan Cline for one night). Barnes has more wins over Kentucky in 4 years at UT than Pearl had in 6. There is no reason for Vol fans to pine for the Auburn coach.

I love Barnes system but I have to say those 1st 4 years of Pearl-ball are still my favorite teams. The run and gun, deny inbound pass, non-stop full court press style of play, as underdog, was a lot of fun. After that he tried to create a half court defensive type team, requiring 5 star players and not only did it fall apart, the style of play was boring.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Meh. They haven’t really been dominant. They’ve just lucked out a lot of close wins. I don’t think we win today, but I also don’t understand why so many of our fans think this game is unwinnable. If Auburn can lose to Georgia and Missouri, they can lose to anyone. Believe it or not folks, Bruce Pearl doesn’t walk on water.
The one thing he has improved on since leaving Tennessee is that for whatever reason he gets tons of calls. His guys maul people and get away with everything at home.

I love Barnes system but I have to say those 1st 4 years of Pearl-ball are still my favorite teams. The run and gun, deny inbound pass, non-stop full court press style of play, as underdog, was a lot of fun. After that he tried to create a half court defensive type team, requiring 5 star players and not only did it fall apart, the style of play was boring.
Barnes wants a more up tempo team too. It’s just that the unexpected loss of Bone to the draft and Turner to injury left us with too little depth to do it this year. That won’t be an issue next year.

This win vaults us into the ncaa discussion and a loss doesn’t hurt us. Huge resume building opportunity today that would erase the Texas a&m loss. I think we beat them at Knoxville but today is going to be tough. Hopefully the early tip off time works in the vols favor.

Reactions: feathersax
The entire SEC is mired in the muck this season. UT's chances of climbing out are as good as anyone else!

Speaking of muck, I've got gutters to clean, so I will be watching on the radio. GBO!!!

Anyone know if Okoro is expected to play?
He returned to practice this week but was limited. I would be very surprised if he plays. The committee won’t ding them as much for losses without one of their best players. More important for him to fully recover.

This win vaults us into the ncaa discussion and a loss doesn’t hurt us. Huge resume building opportunity today that would erase the Texas a&m loss. I think we beat them at Knoxville but today is going to be tough. Hopefully the early tip off time works in the vols favor.
You mean a loss doesn’t hurt us because we don’t have much to lose? A win puts us in the discussion about how another win would put us in ncaa discussions

I have a feeling this is going to be a terrible officiated game.

It took Auburn over 40 free throws to beat Kentucky.
Yeah, Auburn won over Kentucky solely from officiating, and I prefer Auburn. Kentucky looked better that entire game

I liked it, but the funny part was it didn't work well come NCAAT time.

I also like to play the "What if" game. What if Pearl hadn't gotten in trouble and stayed at UT? As much as many look back in nostalgic glee, given this is Tennessee I wonder how long he would have been here before the fans turned on him. Before his Elite 8 run, I remember plenty of rumblings that he couldn't "win the big one", especially after his best team got spanked in the Sweet 16. Would he still be here in 2020 if he hadn't gotten us to a FInal Four by now, and especially if we didn't even get back to an Elite 8 under him?

Last edited:
Meh. They haven’t really been dominant. They’ve just lucked out a lot of close wins. I don’t think we win today, but I also don’t understand why so many of our fans think this game is unwinnable. If Auburn can lose to Georgia and Missouri, they can lose to anyone. Believe it or not folks, Bruce Pearl doesn’t walk on water.

It's tough but it's not as intimidating as it's being made out to be, at least not this year. They've had about 5 home games this year they either should have or could have easily lost.

VN Store

Back