The Official SEC Tournament Discussion Thread (Excluding Tennessee Games)

If they keep with the double elimination format, there are 14 games still to get in. You can't get more than 4 games in a day unless you go full little league and start games at 8am. Realistically, you can only play 3 games on Sunday because you're down to the last 4 teams at that point.

Bottom line, if you can't get games in today, you almost have to go to single elimination. Theoretically, you could still make double elimination rounds still work beginning on Thursday, but there would be no margin for error and I would imagine most of the coaches would be against cramming that many games into a 4 day period. If the weather looks crummy tomorrow but the weekend looks nice, then try to sneak the Auburn-Kentucky game in at some point prior to Friday, but postpone the rest until Friday where you just go simple 8-team single elimination.

Todays Schedule
Wednesday, May 25
9:30 a.m. (5) Auburn vs. (12) Kentucky [SEC Network]

TBD (3) Arkansas vs. (11) Alabama [SEC Network]

TBD (2) Texas A&M vs. (7) Florida [SEC Network]

TBD (1) Tennessee vs. (8) Vanderbilt [SEC Network]

We'll be lucky to be done by 0200 tomm morning

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If they keep with the double elimination format, there are 14 games still to get in. You can't get more than 4 games in a day unless you go full little league and start games at 8am. Realistically, you can only play 3 games on Sunday because you're down to the last 4 teams at that point.

Bottom line, if you can't get games in today, you almost have to go to single elimination. Theoretically, you could still make double elimination rounds still work beginning on Thursday, but there would be no margin for error and I would imagine most of the coaches would be against cramming that many games into a 4 day period. If the weather looks crummy tomorrow but the weekend looks nice, then try to sneak the Auburn-Kentucky game in at some point prior to Friday, but postpone the rest until Friday where you just go simple 8-team single elimination.

Forecast is 100% rain Thursday with 1 to 2 inches. It will be difficult to get in 2 or even 3 games today and tomorrow. If they decide to continue, they could begin single elimination on Friday. Shame on the SEC for not having an inclement weather policy for tournament play.

We live in Mobile, has been storming since about 4 this morning. That storm is about to hit B'ham. LOTS of rain and lightening. Finally gone from here fir a little while.

The rain is fixing to hit B’ham from the South and looks to extend close to 100 miles into the Gulf. That means the tail of it is 350 miles from Hoover and is moving straight north; I don’t see how they get any games in today. Even if this front moves 50mph, which it’s not, that’s 7 hrs for the end of it to pass over. Since it’s scheduled to rain for the next 24+ hrs we know that it’s moving at a snails pace.
Yikes! :(o_O

There have been a couple of suggestion to move play. Weather clears in Starkville tomorrow about 2P, weather there is good Friday. Move two brackets there for games late Thursday and Friday then back to Hoover. The Dudy is a super venue.

Forecast is 100% rain Thursday with 1 to 2 inches. It will be difficult to get in 2 or even 3 games today and tomorrow. If they decide to continue, they could begin single elimination on Friday. Shame on the SEC for not having an inclement weather policy for tournament play.
They should consider having it somewhere other than the anus of the South.
Schedule it for Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, somewhere other than Hoover. They always get rain, tornadoes, something.

Last edited:
Schedule it for Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, somewhere other than Hoover
I’ve never understood why they at least don’t move it to Regions Field, allowing easier access to hotels, bars and restaurants. It’s also much closer to UAB and Samford, who’s stadiums could be leveraged in situations similar to what we find ourselves this week.

I'm not going to lie, I like the history of Hoover, but playing this tournament in dome like the Big 12 would seem to solve all of these problems and not make this such a mess. Food for thought. Let's work with the Rays and MLB on scheduling and play at The Trop! That would be cool.

You beat me to it. Nashville just approved public money to combine with private money for a new indoor stadium for the Titans. But it should be multi use. Maybe the SECT moves to Nashville in the future.

Really? No weather, no dirt, no heat? I dunno, something seems fundamentally wrong with that picture to me.

Schedule it for Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, Charlotte, somewhere other than Hoover. They always get rain, tornadoes, something.
Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte all have had 2-3 days of 70%+ chance of rain during tournament time this week. Would've made zero difference.

Reactions: feathersax
Really? No weather, no dirt, no heat? I dunno, something seems fundamentally wrong with that picture to me.

Hey, LNS doesn't have dirt and we seem to be okay with that! Lol. I think The Trop is a great place to watch baseball. It would be a cool experience for the players to get a chance to play at a Major League ballpark, too. It doesn't even necessarily have to be The Trop, but I just think moving to a place that is domed makes a lot of sense. Other major conferences do it.

Hey, LNS doesn't have dirt and we seem to be okay with that! Lol. I think The Trop is a great place to watch baseball. It would be a cool experience for the players to get a chance to play at a Major League ballpark, too. It doesn't even necessarily have to be The Trop, but I just think moving to a place that is domed makes a lot of sense. Other major conferences do it.

Yeah, I know we got turf so we don’t have to cancel games. But, AC? Maybe we could manufacture some weather like at the Tonga Room? @NorCalVol67

I'm not going to lie, I like the history of Hoover, but playing this tournament in dome like the Big 12 would seem to solve all of these problems and not make this such a mess. Food for thought. Let's work with the Rays and MLB on scheduling and play at The Trop! That would be cool.
Big 12 must rotate theirs, like they do football, because last few years it’s been at Bricktown Ballpark in OKC.

I just talked to my friend Wooderson about the situation in Hoover, AL affecting the SEC baseball tournament. What he offered was profound, and perhaps useful to the SEC officials contemplating a "go-forward" strategy for the remaining tourney games....

"Weather gonna weather man.......scooby doo whatcha gonna do.....haha....ahh man, ............yeah."

So, there it is folks.

alright-dazed-and-confused.gif

Big 12 must rotate theirs, like they do football, because last few years it’s been at Bricktown Ballpark in OKC.

Looks that way. It's at Globe Life Field this year, which is pretty cool. Maybe we can rotate? That doesn't permanently solve the issue, but man I'm jealous of the Big 12 getting to play there this year lol.

VN Store

Back