The Official PlayStation 5 Thread

How much more powerful than the PS5 is this? Would it even be worth the upgrade?
Depends on what you want.

Personally, I don't care about resolution. Native 4K, checkerboard 4K, 1440p, etc., whatever! Games right now, even in performance mode, look super sharp on my OLED already. So, I don't care what this touts in regard to resolution.

What I'm interested in are framerates and graphical settings. From the PS5 Pro, onward I want 60fps to be the default! 30fps games on consoles need to go away completely! I've already been playing at 60fps pretty much exclusively (and some games at 120fps) this whole generation with the exception of some Nintendo Switch titles. Now I want those frames with higher graphical settings (ultra settings would be the dream) and better ray tracing.

The thing that jumps out at me the most with this rumored specs list is the "2X Ray-Tracing Acceleration". What this basically means is the Pro will contain dedicated hardware specifically for raytracing. PS5 standard doesn't have this and has to rely on its shaders to achieve the raytracing we've seen up to now.

Odd timing. They don't have any games coming out to sell it with, do they?
Nope. First party for Sony is essentially dead until next year.. which is weird. I’ve heard several different places saying that Ghost of Tsushima 2 is basically finished but they’re not going to release it any time soon. Makes no sense

Nope. First party for Sony is essentially dead until next year.. which is weird. I’ve heard several different places saying that Ghost of Tsushima 2 is basically finished but they’re not going to release it any time soon. Makes no sense
To clarify, what PlayStation's CEO said was no new 1st party releases of EXISTING AAA franchises until 2025. That doesn't mean we won't see anything at all from their 1st party studios between now and then.

The only first party game announced for 2024 so far is Concord, which we still know absolutely nothing about. However there's quite a few 2nd and 3rd party exclusives for the first part of the year. Helldivers 2 just released and is a blast to play (if you can get into a lobby). Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth comes out at the end of the month and is reviewing very highly (94 currently on Metacritic). Rise of the Ronin is coming in March and Stellar Blade is coming in April.

I would guess that Sony is going to officially announce the PS5 Pro at their summer event and that's where we will finally start to see what some of their other 1st party studios are working on. I'm sure they want to show those games off, running on the Pro specs.

Odd timing. They don't have any games coming out to sell it with, do they?
No and I am old and probably dont remember, but did anything release with the PS4 Pro? I got it at release, but dont remember anything coming at the same time as far as games other than maybe Uncharted 4 but dont remember. If there are decent improvements to graphics and framerates I might jump, specifically if there are improvements to EA College football which would probably be the only thing I play on console.

No and I am old and probably dont remember, but did anything release with the PS4 Pro? I got it at release, but dont remember anything coming at the same time as far as games other than maybe Uncharted 4 but dont remember. If there are decent improvements to graphics and framerates I might jump, specifically if there are improvements to EA College football which would probably be the only thing I play on console.
I think they showed off Days Gone with the Pro, along with Horizon Zero Dawn. I remember them going on and on about the "HDR" on the PS4 Pro, because at the time, HDR was all the hotness with new TV's.

Reactions: BearCat204
Unless it’s the difference in GTA VI running at 60fps or not, I probably won’t
I have become too spoiled with 60fps gaming on console and there's no way I can go back to 30fps gaming! If the Pro is what I need to maintain that for the later games this gen, so be it.

I'm still rocking my 4. That thing is a beaut... it may be what gets me to finally upgrade.

View attachment 624837
I was stubborn and kept my 4 for a few years after the 5 was out. Finally caved in and I could never go back to not having a SSD again, unless it’s playing my retro systems for nostalgia. This thing is so fast. I take for granted now just hopping in and out of games and not having loading screens.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
I was stubborn and kept my 4 for a few years after the 5 was out. Finally caved in and I could never go back to not having a SSD again, unless it’s playing my retro systems for nostalgia. This thing is so fast. I take for granted now just hopping in and out of games and not having loading screens.
I actually complete more games than before and I attribute it to the fast SSD. Now that loading times are so quick, I don't have time to sit and think about whether I want play another round of whatever. It puts you back in the game so fast, you just keep going, LOL!

I'm also spoiled by games running at 60 frames per second on PS5. There's absolutely no way I can go back to 30fps gaming now!

I actually complete more games than before and I attribute it to the fast SSD. Now that loading times are so quick, I don't have time to sit and think about whether I want play another round of whatever. It puts you back in the game so fast, you just keep going, LOL!

I'm also spoiled by games running at 60 frames per second on PS5. There's absolutely no way I can go back to 30fps gaming now!
Just the other day I realized how many times I had hit the home button and just changed games. I was like wow, I could have never done this before lol.

The documentation also gives some expected comparative performance figures to the regular PS5, including the assertion that "rendering is about 45% faster" and that ray tracing speed is two to three times faster than the older model, with up to a four times improvement in some cases. Allegedly the PS5 Pro's GPU has a 16 bit floating point calculation figure of 67 TFLOPs, which equates to an estimated 33.5 TFLOPs of FP32 compute performance.

Niiiiiiice!!!

Last edited:

Niiiiiiice!!!
I hope they focus more on games after this. Sony shines with single player games and they need to get them out stat. They can’t just rely on 5-10 year old games, remastered, etc.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
I hope they focus more on games after this. Sony shines with single player games and they need to get them out stat. They can’t just rely on 5-10 year old games, remastered, etc.
Yeah I get the frustration. I'm beyond ready to see what Sony's 1st party teams are working on. However as long as we are continuing to get quality console exclusive content, even if it's from 2nd and 3rd party studios, I can't complain too much right now. We are only in March and already we got Helldivers 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and about to get Rise of The Ronin and Stellar Blade. Thats pretty damn good and a lot more robust than what we got last year by this time. Come this June, by Summer Games Fest, if we don't have a clearer roadmap of what Sony's studios are working on, I'll officially start worrying. We already know that Wolverine is coming from Insomniac and Concord (still waiting to see what this is) from Firewalk Studios. We need to hear from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Bend Studio as well. It's beyond time!

Last edited:
I will adopt as soon as they stop making games for the PS4
I think they're pretty much there BC, at least in terms of exclusives. Helldivers 2 is PS5/PC only. FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, and Rise of the Ronin are all PS5 only. Wolverine is PS5 only. Concord is PS5/PC only. I'm not really seeing much in the pipeline from Sony that's going to PS4 now.

VN Store

Back