The Official New York Yankees Thread

Judge can deserve the MVP.

Ohtani and his lack of team’s success has nothing to do with his candidacy.

Both are true.

Judge does deserve the MVP.

Ohtani and his lack of team’s success has nothing to do with his candidacy.

Both are true.

FYP, but I agree, Judge wins before we even get to team success considering he's better by pretty much any other metric as well

FYP, but I agree, Judge wins before we even get to team success considering he's better by pretty much any other metric as well

Well like you know, except pitching where he is a top 10 starter in the league lol

By the way I’d vote Judge but also it’s fair to consider two things:

1) Ohtani is a DH which reduces his defensive value unfairly in WAR and doesn’t apply to his value as someone who takes two rosters spots

2) How would Judge do if he had to pitch every 5th day? What if Ohtani didn’t have to pitch?

By the way I’d vote Judge but also it’s fair to consider two things:

1) Ohtani is a DH which reduces his defensive value unfairly in WAR and doesn’t apply to his value as someone who takes two rosters spots

2) How would Judge do if he had to pitch every 5th day? What if Ohtani didn’t have to pitch?

This has always been such a weird stretch to me. It's unfair to count Ohtani as a DH when he's a DH? We should give him credit for playing outfield too when he doesn't? The days he pitches he gets pitching WAR already and it's still less than Judge.

The "extra roster spot" is for whoever is the worst hitter or pitcher on the Angels, i.e. who they would cut if you told them today that Ohtani has to take up two spots. How much is that guy adding? Instead of a separate 4.8 WAR pitcher and 3.3 WAR hitter or whatever it is, you have the 8.1 WAR Ohtani combo plus -0.2 WAR Mike Ford or something. And that's before we get to the WAR hit the Angels take from going six-man rotation all year to accommodate Ohtani.

Last edited:
Well like you know, except pitching where he is a top 10 starter in the league lol

Judge is an elite right fielder and laps Ohtani as a hitter by miles, which is why Ohtani people like to say he's "5th in AL HRs" or something without posting the actual numbers, for fear people would realize that he has barely half as many as Judge.

Aaron Judge Vs. Shohei Ohtani: Solving The AL MVP Conundrum

So, we’ve got the answers to our two main questions. Aaron Judge 2022 is clearly better than 2021 Vladimir Guerrero Jr.. They’re comparable hitters, with Judge likely to have a slight advantage by year’s end, with the Yankee outfielder clearly having a substantial defensive/baserunning edge. And 2021 Shohei Ohtani is more valuable than 2022 Shohei Ohtani, with a much better offensive 2021 outweighing a slightly better pitching 2022 campaign.

Simply adding the TPRAA figures, as I stated earlier, doesn’t paint the entire picture. In 2021, Guerrero’s 65.0 slightly outdistanced Ohtani’s 62.2 (45.9 offensive + 16.3 pitching), but Ohtani’s unicorn status made him an easy #1 for me. This year, Judge’s 70.4 far outdistances Ohtani’s 37.7 (19.5 offensive + 18.2 pitching), and there’s no subjective adjustment that’s going to bridge that gap.

Bonds not modern or something???
tumblr_o2rgw4tM0u1s02vreo2_500.gif

Reactions: NashVol11

VN Store

Back