The Official New York Yankees Thread

Remembering Mickey Mantle’s 500th career homer on its 55th anniversary

The Commerce Comet entered 1967 with 496 home runs, looking in at an extremely exclusive coterie of players who had hit 500. Babe Ruth (in 1929), Jimmie Foxx (1940), Mel Ott (1945), Ted Williams (1960), and Willie Mays (1965) were baseball’s only sluggers who could claim admission to the 500 Club as Mantle prepared to make his charge at immortality.

Gleyber Torres, 2B, Yankees
xwOBA gain: 77 points (to .408)
This is a case where the raw stat line is clearly insufficient. Accounting for the decrease in league-wide offense, Torres’ OPS had bounced from 7% below average to 14% above. On top of that, Torres is suffering from a huge gapbetween his expected and actual production, masking the gains that the 25-year-old has made coming off a highly disappointing 2021 campaign.

The former top prospect, who popped 38 homers back in 2019, is pulling off a neat trick this year. He’s raised his hard-hit rate more than almost anyone, soaring from the 26th percentile to the 90th percentile of MLB hitters. And he’s done it while hitting the ball in the air more and striking out at a career-low level. If that keeps up, the Yankees will be celebrating a lot of Gleyber Days this year.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
My boyhood baseball hero: the MICK.:cool:
Mine too. When I was seven years old, I was taking three trains from Queens to the Bronx with my friends and paying .75 for bleacher seats to see my sports hero, Mickey Mantle. I idolized him.
Unfortunately, I later learned that my admiration was misplaced. He had some extreme personal traits which taught me to never again put sports figures/musicians/entertainers on a pedestal.

Mine too. When I was seven years old, I was taking three trains from Queens to the Bronx with my friends and paying .75 for bleacher seats to see my sports hero, Mickey Mantle. I idolized him.
Unfortunately, I later learned that my admiration was misplaced. He had some extreme personal traits which taught me to never again put sports figures/musicians/entertainers on a pedestal.
Yes, MM had issues, no doubt. Yet we admired his baseball skills. So you grew up in NYC. My first trip to see the Yankees was 2013. I always wear my Mickey Mantle jersey (purchased in Yankee Stadium) to Hoover for the Saturday sessions. Go Diamond Vols!

Attachments

• Mark at Stadium 9-5-13.jpg
    Mark at Stadium 9-5-13.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2

VN Store

Back