The Official Johnny Majors Classic: Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, ESPN

I will say I thought Milton did do a better job of putting air under the ball today and looks like the staff did work with him on that but it's just crazy how far he was still able to over through the WRs. Definitely has a cannon but can't get it under control.

In retrospect, sending him to the Bruce Banner Passing Camp this summer could have been a mistake.

D531B6FE-8844-4582-A34A-381AEF614556.gif

There’s quite a few plays you can point to which ultimately comes back to coaching:
1.overthrown pass by Milton
2. overthrown pass by Milton
3.overthrown pass by Milton
4.Fumble by Milton
5.DW taking helmet off
6.Cade Mays 15 yard penalty
7. Hooker Fumble
8. Hooker int
9. False start by DW
10.4th down call.

Overall, it was very sloppy execution yet we almost won. After seeing Milton’ repeated overthrows exactly like he did vs BGU, if not worse, I’m concerned about coach H. He should play Hooker & Bailey equally next week and whoever executes the best & protects the football give them the start in the swamp. Gotta protect the football. All 3 turnovers were by the QBs.
You left out the 14 or 15 penalties that killed at least a couple of drives, not to mention nullifying that TD on the runback of the missed field goal.

Reactions: JPL
I think Heupel is placing too much faith in Milton’s physical upside versus the guys who may be better to run the offense, even with less skill. Milton can throw it a mile, but he doesn’t seem to be able to complete a long pass.

Hooker was able to complete some good throws and pick up yards with his feet. Offense had a better flow with him in there, but there were still turnovers & struggles.

We don’t know what Bailey can do in this offensive system yet. Maybe we’ll see, maybe we won’t.

The officials missed that call on the FG return. Since the penalty was after change of possession, Pitt shouldn’t have gotten a chance to punt and pin us deep.

Lots of frustrating things from today’s game, primarily because we really should have won.
I agree with everything you said and I’m disappointed to but at least Tennessee is fun to watch again.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
We got totally robbed by the refs on the 3rd down call. Hooker had 1st. Refs moved the ball to middle of field from where Hooker went down right by the official sticks. They had moved the ball back by then. Then they don’t review it. Total bs.
The ref closest to the play was 3 yds. behind it when 3 Pitt defenders started pushing Hooker backwards. Hooker's forward momentum showed him beyond the 1st down marker slightly. The line judge on the furthest side had a direct view of the play and no players blocking his vision. Don't know why he marked it the way he did but it's a challengeble call and coach wasn't on his toes. That was critical, imho.

Both those guys have been playing long enough to know better.
Coaching my a$$

It was a poorly coached game beginning with starting Milton. Not trying to argue with you.

Good coaches win these type of 50/50 games, (especially at home with a fired up crowd) regardless of year 0,1,2 or 3.

Missed opp by coach H & co.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Just looked at the stats. TN sacked Pitt 5 times and Pitt was only 7-18 on third down. Bright spots. Just rechecked. It was 2 sacks not 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: gnm53108
I just don't see what upside Heupel saw from his tape ar Michigan, that made him think, "I need to get that guy and sink as much of my effort into him to fix him".
My guess is that the staff sees Milton as having a much higher ceiling than the other qbs on the roster. If he can be coached up into not trying to “aim” the ball and constantly overthrowing open receivers, they could have a Heisman candidate. But, the results so far don’t support Milton getting there.

We played good enough to win that game. With good QB play in the 1st half we win by double digits.

We would also win with an O-Line that has Coach's confidence to punch it into the end zone from the one yard line with the QB under center. Without that confidence, what call would have been the right call? I don't know, but it is a crying shame to lose a game that way. And let's not even talk like defense played a complete game. Hats off to Special Teams, not too shabby.

Last edited:
The reality, is that without UT hiring White, Heupel is never even considered for the position.

Heupel wasn't a contender for any of the other open coaching positions after last season, and wasn't even a consideration for UT until White was made AD.
And no one was beating down UT doors begging to take the job either. Rather Hueple is the long term solution hell who knows, but I do know we are a better team this year than the last 3.

Gave up 27 in the 2nd Qtr and 260 yards in the 1st half. What game are you watching ? They only played well for a few drives in the 1st Qtr.
Back to back stops against a hot QB in the 4th quarter giving the ball back to the offense down 7 points. It could have easily been a 3 TD game for Pitt had they not stood up. QB's fumbling and pass interceptions by the offense gave up 14 points. The defense played good enough to win this game.

At this point it looks like Heupel just wasted a bunch of time and effort on Milton this summer and fall. All of which would have been out to better use by developing the QBs that were already in the roster.
Heupel recruited Milton while he was at UCF. He's liked him for a while, not just his Michigan stuff. People forget that part.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Ended up having to listen to the game...don't get me started on that Saturday on the farm debacle...sigh

Any rate, at one point I heard Bob rattle if a stat- Tennessee had 154 yards offense and 95 yards in penalties.

Pitt didn't beat us today as much as we beat ourselves.

Yes, because clearly Heupel has done such a magnificent, unquestionable job with all that practice info. Just see which QB he chose as the starter - clearly there was nothing at all wrong with that decision.

And none of your opinions/comments could ever be scrutinized. Your holding the coach to a level that will never be fully achieved.

The ref closest to the play was 3 yds. behind it when 3 Pitt defenders started pushing Hooker backwards. Hooker's forward momentum showed him beyond the 1st down marker slightly. The line judge on the furthest side had a direct view of the play and no players blocking his vision. Don't know why he marked it the way he did but it's a challengeble call and coach wasn't on his toes. That was critical, imho.

Those are tough calls to get overturned & if they’d lost it, Tennessee would have been out of timeouts.

Back to back stops against a hot QB in the 4th quarter giving the ball back to the offense down 7 points. It could have easily been a 3 TD game for Pitt had they not stood up. QB's fumbling and pass interceptions by the offense gave up 14 points. The defense played good enough to win this game.

The D played pretty well in moments, but 40 Tenn points should have won this game. 27 Pitt points in 2nd qtr is not good.
2nd qtr vs BGU was not good.
Need to fix that 2nd qtr thing

VN Store

Back