The Official Halfcourt Trap UT Preview: The Players.

Maze will be much better than what most think. He's matured greatly, trust me. Saying that, I believe Ramar was bound to have a good year also. We still will be lucky to make it further than the Sweet 16.

Maze kinda needs to be great this season. We don't have anyone else to put in positive minutes at point.

Tyler Smith. The most versatile player in the conference. Look for him to spend more time on the perimeter as Bruce Pearl exploits his ballhandling skills in an attempt to minimize his point guard woes.
Wayne Chism. The player with the most to gain from a big season. Continued progress will set Chism up to get a nice check at some point.
J.P Prince. Prince is long, versatile, and attacks the basket. He is not a point guard. If he plays meaningful minutes there, UT is in serious trouble.
Scotty Hopson. The prize of UT's recruiting class, Hopson carries immense expectations. Will he be very good? Yes. Will he be good enough to warrant all the "one and done" talk has swirled around him? No.

My concern is whether there are going to be enough basketballs for these four. The answer may hinge on PG play (and I admittedly know nothing about Maze,) but it is a fine line between a team with multiple offensive weapons and a disorganized gun-a-thon. The Vols did a good job for the most part of staying on the right side of the line last season, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out with rookies at both guard positions replacing seniors.

VN Store

Back