THE OFFICIAL DUKE/UNC B-BALL THREAD 2020/21 (WORSE, SLOWER, MORE MASKS, LESS FANS, LESS W’s)

I think that it’s a combination of both . The guy is a maniac. He is the ultimate competitor and maybe he feels like if he can’t do it at the highest level anymore he doesn’t want to do it any less than full go. I’ve told the story on here before:
A friend of mine was on staff about 10 years ago or so and Duke got blown out on the road by a lesser team. They had Maryland in 3 days and when they got back to the basketball office around 2am K told the entire staff to go home get their $hit and be back by 4 and to tell their families they wouldn’t see them until after the Maryland game. Duke went on to beat Maryland by double figures and K was beaming post game and telling the staff how it was so worth it not to go home for 72 hours because they beat Maryland. From what I was told the staff kind of faked their enthusiasm. He’s psycho. And I guess that’s what it takes when you’re a Saban or Belichick or K .
Not only that, but you can only pull that kind of s**t when you have built up a reputation that precedes you. Saban, or K, or Belichick could do that today and get away with it because they are who they are.

If those guys tried that early in their careers, or say if someone like Jeremy Pruitt tried that, the entire staff would mutiny and quit. Even if it "worked" and they blew out their opponent in the next game. Saban would be despised by Alabama fans if he won to any less of an extent than he does. He's a total dick in press conferences, if you question anything he says he tends to get mad, says "trust the process" over and over again, etc. Can you imagine how quickly that would wear thin if he only won 10 games a year?

It is ironic that many of these legendary coaches are not actually guys you necessarily want to emulate, because they have a style they can get away with because of their reputation. If you don't have the reputation and you try their style, it probably isn't going to work.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Hubert is doing fine on the recruiting front, now just wait and see if he can develop and coach.

Maybe some of y’all know so I’ll ask:

What’s the transition like when coaches leave from a recruiting front? What’s the words they do or don’t say keeping things together

Maybe some of y’all know so I’ll ask:

What’s the transition like when coaches leave from a recruiting front? What’s the words they do or don’t say keeping things together
I don’t know, but I’ll throw my take in. I think it depends on the circumstances. Some programs (UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.) basically recruit themselves and I think these new NIL rules will only increase that ability. Then, it depends on the staff that are left behind, if there are any staff members retained/promoted. I’d think that they’ve already got relationships established with players they want to get, so as long as those players still fit the style that the new HC looks to play, then it should be a pretty seamless transition.

Reactions: Dudleys87
I don’t know, but I’ll throw my take in. I think it depends on the circumstances. Some programs (UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.) basically recruit themselves and I think these new NIL rules will only increase that ability. Then, it depends on the staff that are left behind, if there are any staff members retained/promoted. I’d think that they’ve already got relationships established with players they want to get, so as long as those players still fit the style that the new HC looks to play, then it should be a pretty seamless transition.

Thank you kindly

Duke went one and one versus 'Nova in a three session set. The third set was walk-ons vs walk-ons and I haven't heard who won that... doesn't really matter though.
Thanks for the update. Hadn’t heard a lot about it yet.

First of all I want to apologize for not getting on this earlier. It could be a combination of the lack of enthusiasm lingering due to this brutal year overall, with the football season being the cherry on top, or lots of life events happening at the same time. IT DOESN’T MATTER BECAUSE THE WEIRDEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL SEASON EVER IS UPON US. Why should college basketball season be any different than anything else in this God Forsaken year?

So to keep the weird trend going Duke has now lost 2 straight games to OOC opponents in Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first time since i was born in 1982. The loss last night was actually just the 4th since 2000. It just doesn’t happen all that often. However, it appears losing is something that won’t be that uncommon this year for both Duke and UNC. UNC coming off of last years debacle is still appearing to be in a rebuidling mode, but with some really solid pieces down low with Garrison Brooks being the preseason ACC POY. Dean Smith couldn’t have dreamed a better lineup with UNC’s best guys being 4 bigs and a PG. Judging how the ACC/B1G challenge is going the big boys in the ACC are down having gotten handled by the class of the B1G. UNC by Iowa and Duke getting outclassed first by Michigan State and last night versus Illinois.

Duke has problems everywhere, starting with the 1. Jordan Goldwire is good role player and gives more effort than any other player, but he’s not the floor general Duke fans are accustomed to seeing lead the Devils. The Jones Bros. , Jay Williams, Hurley he is not. We’ll see how the highly touted Roach emerges going forward, but he doesn’t seem to be a real scoring threat to me. So far this season Duke has 63 assist to 64 turnovers. That’s atrocious basketball, but it is also something that can be corrected over time. To be honest I’ve watched this Duke team play 3 times, 2 of them losses, and it’s hard to get a grasp of who is out there, and the problem is that the guys I do recognize who have returned have been the biggest disappointments, outside of Matthew Hurt. Hurt has been the only real scoring threat thus far against real competition, while returnees Wendell Moore and Joey Baker have failed to produce much of anything. Duke needs those 2 guys to be steady, not great, but not suck...cough JG, cough JG.... So far they have sucked. You UNC guys remember Wendell Moore right? Of course you do, why do I ask questions I already know the answers to? But I digress, the freshman Steward and Johnson have a lot of potential and will have to be the guys that balance the scoring with Hurt. I just do not have faith in Baker and Moore to fill the voids left from the guys last season.

It’s very difficult to make predictions based on a season that is being played under such different circumstances, where all the tournament teams play in Indy. If this were normal conditions I would say Duke and UNC both were looking at first weekend exits right now. I do think both have the chance to improve because they are coached by 2 of the best to ever do it. Can I get little love to Ole Huckleberry @Lawrence Wright ? It’s never a Duke/UNC thread until LDub chimes in.

I always enjoy the back and forth with you guys. Even some of the clowns that don’t have a dog in the fight, but just hate Duke because they think theyre supposed to. UK guy don’t hesitate to jump in either. I always enjoy the battles.
GO TO HELL CAROLINA! GO TO HELL
@volfanbill @Regulator @NashVol11 @AV_12 @Chuckie @Dudleys87 LET’S GET IT ON! Sorry if I forgot anyone.
@Lawrence Wright do your thing

View attachment 329013
View attachment 329017

I did some digging and found that former Dookie Carroll Youngkin is the father of the guy running for Governor in Virginia. He is ranked as the 48th best player in Dook basketball history

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
He’s doing and saying all the right things but let’s see how it translates on the court and W/Ls

I did some digging and found that former Dookie Carroll Youngkin is the father of the guy running for Governor in Virginia. He is ranked as the 48th best player in Dook basketball history
Did not know that. Turns out that his son played ball at Rice too.

It’s almost tip-off time! I’m getting a good vibe from the early UNC reports. Bacot is going to have a monster season, it seems like the transfers are meshing well, just going to need solid play from Love and Davis. I bet Walker Kessler is having big time regret for leaving. We’ll see how things go for him at Auburn, but he could have been a star in Chapel Hill.

It’s almost tip-off time! I’m getting a good vibe from the early UNC reports. Bacot is going to have a monster season, it seems like the transfers are meshing well, just going to need solid play from Love and Davis. I bet Walker Kessler is having big time regret for leaving. We’ll see how things go for him at Auburn, but he could have been a star in Chapel Hill.
Manek and Garcia gonna be a problem

VN Store

Back