The Official Duke/UNC 2018/19 Basketball Thread!!!

Ugghhh. New Orleans. Love the town, love the people. Not a basketball town. Kind of wish they would put the franchise in Seattle.

Ugghhh. New Orleans. Love the town, love the people. Not a basketball town. Kind of wish they would put the franchise in Seattle.
It's a pretty anonymous franchise, to be sure.

That's the problem with the NBA...there are multiple anonymous teams that nobody, even people within the sport, talk about. The Pels are one of them. The Hawks and Hornets are others. They are all teams in the southeastern part of the country as well, which probably isn't a coincidence.

The Bucks were like that until Giannis started playing at an elite level a few years ago.

It's a pretty anonymous franchise, to be sure.

That's the problem with the NBA...there are multiple anonymous teams that nobody, even people within the sport, talk about. The Pels are one of them. The Hawks and Hornets are others. They are all teams in the southeastern part of the country as well, which probably isn't a coincidence.

The Bucks were like that until Giannis started playing at an elite level a few years ago.

And the Cavs were like that before Lebron. Golden State was like that before the Splash Bros. Minnesota before Garnett (and after Garnett). Orlando except for Shaq and Penny.

If Zion lights it up in New Orleans and they play well, New Orleans will get covered. If Davis had been able to do more with the Pels, he'd have brought them exposure.

And the Cavs were like that before Lebron. Golden State was like that before the Splash Bros. Minnesota before Garnett (and after Garnett). Orlando except for Shaq and Penny.

If Zion lights it up in New Orleans and they play well, New Orleans will get covered. If Davis had been able to do more with the Pels, he'd have brought them exposure.
The Hawks are way more anonymous than Cleveland was before LeBron. You're probably right about Golden State.

It's more than Zion simply playing well in New Orleans. He needs to raise the fortunes of their entire franchise and get them deep into the playoffs. If he's simply a good player on a bad team, they'll continue to be anonymous. It isn't like Anthony Davis has had a bad individual career, quite the contrary actually. But nobody cares about the Pelicans because the team isn't good.

The Hawks are way more anonymous than Cleveland was before LeBron. You're probably right about Golden State.

It's more than Zion simply playing well in New Orleans. He needs to raise the fortunes of their entire franchise and get them deep into the playoffs. If he's simply a good player on a bad team, they'll continue to be anonymous. It isn't like Anthony Davis has had a bad individual career, quite the contrary actually. But nobody cares about the Pelicans because the team isn't good.
like I said, "and they play well". Davis was one of the best players in the NBA but the Pelicans still stunk, so no one cared. No one cared about the Cavs, they were just as anonymous. The Hawks weren't anonymous when they had Spud and 'Nique.

The Cavs have sucked, but had history with Price, Brad Daughtery, Nance, Craig Ehlo,(Bulls win Bulls Win). They were a solid playoff team. GS has had a long history starting with Rick Barry, Mullins, Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Sprewell. Minnesota sucked obviously until KG got Marbury there, but were an expansion team.
AD has brought the Pels exposure, but not in a good way this past year. Publicly wanting to be out of a crap organization run by NFL people won’t get it done. The only possible silver lining here is that Brees will be retiring soon and that city loves its heroes. Maybe Zion will fill that void.

The Cavs have sucked, but had history with Price, Brad Daughtery, Nance, Craig Ehlo,(Bulls win Bulls Win). They were a solid playoff team. GS has had a long history starting with Rick Barry, Mullins, Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Sprewell. Minnesota sucked obviously until KG got Marbury there, but were an expansion team.
AD has brought the Pels exposure, but not in a good way this past year. Publicly wanting to be out of a crap organization run by NFL people won’t get it done. The only possible silver lining here is that Brees will be retiring soon and that city loves its heroes. Maybe Zion will fill that void.
The Pels are 5 days old. The Cavs had over a decade of irrelevance between Ehlo and James. No one cared about those Golden State teams. Mullin was good, but no one cared about the Warriors. They were what the Unibrow Pels are now. Forest for the trees

Last edited:
What’s up suckers? Let’s keep this thing going!!!

I think this Duke team will be drastically different and will be a year long work in progress. There is a lot of talent, but it’s definitely not last years group, that’s for sure. I think Duke will take its lumps early this year, which is a lot different than peaking in November as in years past. See last year’s UK game for example. You UK guys remember that game right? What am I saying of course you do. I think tonight Duke will take an L to Kansas and their scumbag program, but hopefully will figure it out come February and March like a certain light Blue team seems to always find itself around that time. Cole Anthony looks to be the real deal for UNC, I’m expecting big things from him, which sucks, because Roy’s teams usually excel when they have great guard play.

I think as of right now Duke’s ceiling is the second weekend, but a lot of these guys can grow up, but it has to start with Jones.

Always looking forward to the conversation with rival posters and the other toolbags who just stop by to say Duke sucks or that they cheat or some other nonsense they bring over from the BBall forum .

LEGGGOOO!
GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL

Not a new thread?

Well there was one started, but I just thought I’d stay with this one since some seemed less than enthused with it being started in July.

That was a big ugly win last night . The offense is going to have to find itself, but it is all dependent upon Jones . I think I’m goin to like the mix of guys, but the lack of shooters is troubling . If Joey Baker isn’t going to get any burn maybe the VOLS will be a good landing spot for him to transfer. I was proud of Jack White finally showing he wasn’t an empty uniform after he got hit in the face. He made some key plays .

Cassius Stanley is going to be very, very good.

Here's how I see the ACC this season

1) Louisville
2) Duke
3) Virginia
4) North Carolina
5) FSU
6) NCSU
7) Miami
8) Notre Dame
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Georgia Tech
12) Clemson
13) Boston College
14) Pitt
15) Wake Forest

ACC NCAA Teams: Louisville,Duke,Virginia,North Carolina,FSU,NCSU and Miami

ACC NIT Teams: Notre Dame,Syracuse and Virginia Tech

Well there was one started, but I just thought I’d stay with this one since some seemed less than enthused with it being started in July.

That was a big ugly win last night . The offense is going to have to find itself, but it is all dependent upon Jones . I think I’m goin to like the mix of guys, but the lack of shooters is troubling . If Joey Baker isn’t going to get any burn maybe the VOLS will be a good landing spot for him to transfer. I was proud of Jack White finally showing he wasn’t an empty uniform after he got hit in the face. He made some key plays .

Cassius Stanley is going to be very, very good.

I think once Hurt gets comfortable, he'll be a deadly shooter, even though his shot looks weird. I think O'Connell could be a good shooter and hopefully White gets his shot that he lost last year. Stanley and Carey will be really fun to watch, but they'll have way more growing pains than we saw with Reddish, Zion and Barrett.

Also, I just didn't like that someone other that RDU started the Duke/UNC thread. It could've been started April 5th for all I cared.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back