The Official Duke/UNC 2018/19 Basketball Thread!!!

If Stackhouse does well at Vandy, maybe we’ve got a replacement for Roy once he retires. Don’t want a repeat of the Matt Doherty situation, but I don’t think there will be as much pressure (if that’s possible) replacing Roy and a fully stocked cupboard as it was replacing Bill Guthridge so close to Dean’s retirement with several guys on the roster that were out of their league.

Dean set that table nicely. I miss Matt Doherty and all the fun stories. He was like Ron Zook.

Set it nicely for Guthridge. Guthridge hardly returned the favor to Doherty.

True, but they did have some decent players recruiting star wise. Capel, Curry, Kris Lang, Forte, Peppers, Haywood and Noel. He just didnt coach them up.

If the stories are true, that some serious stones and stupid to move Dean’s office.

True, but they did have some decent players recruiting star wise. Capel, Curry, Kris Lang, Forte, Peppers, Haywood and Noel. He just didnt coach them up.

If the stories are true, that some serious stones and stupid to move Dean’s office.
The two primary starting guards in the 8-20 season were Adam Boone and Brian Morrison. Lang and Capel were best suited as complimentary players. Joseph Forte blew up during his two years on campus, which certainly hurt when he left early. They had no juniors that contributed anything. He laid the foundation for Roy though. I think he might have turned out ok in the long run. He could definitely recruit...it was just all the other stuff and the expectations.

The two primary starting guards in the 8-20 season were Adam Boone and Brian Morrison. Lang and Capel were best suited as complimentary players. Joseph Forte blew up during his two years on campus, which certainly hurt when he left early. They had no juniors that contributed anything. He laid the foundation for Roy though. I think he might have turned out ok in the long run. He could definitely recruit...it was just all the other stuff and the expectations.

I forgot about Boone and Morrison. Capel was a pretty prized recruit I thought. I think Roy came in and has done a decent job though...
Maybe even better than... no I won’t say it. You @Regulator must ever not allow it to enter your mind. It would be blasphemous to Heel fans . 😏

I forgot about Boone and Morrison. Capel was a pretty prized recruit I thought. I think Roy came in and has done a decent job though...
Maybe even better than... no I won’t say it. You @Regulator must ever not allow it to enter your mind. It would be blasphemous to Heel fans . 😏
It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Roy has done a better job than Dean. The numbers don’t lie. Looking back, it’s funny that one of the criticisms of Roy was that “he couldn’t win the big one” before he got to Carolina, and he’s gone on to win three titles. I do believe that Dean was a better coach and tactician, but I don’t know how successful his approach would be today. Above all else, he was a slave to “team over individual” which I love the team concept and sharing the ball. But...sometimes you just gotta let the big dog eat. Roy has done a pretty good job in that respect, and I’ve been very surprised and impressed in how well they’ve played these past two seasons without a real post presence as Roy has morphed his style to better fit his personnel.

Reactions: NashVol11
It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Roy has done a better job than Dean. The numbers don’t lie. Looking back, it’s funny that one of the criticisms of Roy was that “he couldn’t win the big one” before he got to Carolina, and he’s gone on to win three titles. I do believe that Dean was a better coach and tactician, but I don’t know how successful his approach would be today. Above all else, he was a slave to “team over individual” which I love the team concept and sharing the ball. But...sometimes you just gotta let the big dog eat. Roy has done a pretty good job in that respect, and I’ve been very surprised and impressed in how well they’ve played these past two seasons without a real post presence as Roy has morphed his style to better fit his personnel.

You know I was just messing with you . I think Roy has actually done his best job coaching the past 3 years. Sometimes I think his criticism is warranted, but overall UNC doesn’t lose many games in January and March that they shouldn’t .

I honestly think K and Roy probably should have at least 2 more titles to their name. Each.

You know I was just messing with you . I think Roy has actually done his best job coaching the past 3 years. Sometimes I think his criticism is warranted, but overall UNC doesn’t lose many games in January and March that they shouldn’t .

I honestly think K and Roy probably should have at least 2 more titles to their name. Each.
I like Carolina's chances in 2012 if Kendall Marshall didn't get hurt. Would have been an epic rematch with Kentucky. The 2016 squad was toe-to-toe with Villanova, just didn't defend well enough the whole game, especially in failing to close out harder on the game winner. As far as you guys, you should have won it this year, maybe last year too.

True, but I had kind of conceded that Bone was gone along with Williams. I think Bone will probably have a pretty good career.

That's a good decision. If he can get his shot to come around, he will move up quite a few spots.

I think so too. He definitely could move up by improving his shot. Duke should have a good mix of upperclassmen and freshman next season. Will be interested to see what happens with Bolden and Baker. Not sure they stick around.

D'oh should have had a lifetime contract IMO.

If Stackhouse does well at Vandy, maybe we’ve got a replacement for Roy once he retires. Don’t want a repeat of the Matt Doherty situation, but I don’t think there will be as much pressure (if that’s possible) replacing Roy and a fully stocked cupboard as it was replacing Bill Guthridge so close to Dean’s retirement with several guys on the roster that were out of their league.

Bolden and DeLaurier have declared without signing an agent. I can’t imagine either one of them getting drafted, probably getting their grade. They would be crazy to go .

Yeah, he hates Tennessee. But just because his opinion is unpopular doesn't make him a hack.

Yeah, he hates Tennessee. But just because his opinion is unpopular doesn't make him a hack.

Hack might not be the right word, but his tweet was kind of like a crowd chanting “overrated” at the end of winning a game. He was unintentionally putting down his own team.

VN Store

Back