The Official Duke/UNC 2018/19 Basketball Thread!!!

Duke and UNC will be 1 & 2 in polls by the time they play again. Zion returns and ticket prices to be sold for $5,000 per...

I ripped through a pair of Jumpman team shoes junior year in high school and I was 6’2” 160. It happens. Inter webs are dumm and too reactionary. The good news is it sounds like he will be back before the ACC tournament. The bad news is we will all have to hear about this for a long time and the whole amateurism issue will be even more played out than it already is.

I ripped through a pair of Jumpman team shoes junior year in high school and I was 6’2” 160. It happens. Inter webs are dumm and too reactionary. The good news is it sounds like he will be back before the ACC tournament. The bad news is we will all have to hear about this for a long time and the whole amateurism issue will be even more played out than it already is.

Brand new? Also made by Nike. I'm sensing a pattern.

Amateurism is played out

cheap Chinese labor and material - doesnt matter what the shoes cost in the US - they are still poor quality from Asia

cheap Chinese labor and material - doesnt matter what the shoes cost in the US - they are still poor quality from Asia

Well, they are Nike. The worst of the cheaply made Asian shoes. Shortest lifespan of all athletic shoes regardless of activity level.

There was a legit reason for the Zion worship...kid is a once in a generation talent.

Sheesh indeed.
You mean once in a generation for the team that gets him, or once in a generation, period?

If you mean for the team that gets him, yes I agree, but It seems like "once in a generation players" come around once every few years.

I hate he got hurt, and I hope he’s ok, but it sucks that all of the talk is about his shoe and nothing about Carolina dominating this game from start to finish.

You mean once in a generation for the team that gets him, or once in a generation, period?

If you mean for the team that gets him, yes I agree, but It seems like "once in a generation players" come around once every few years.

Period.

The last CBB player that came anywhere close to Zion’s combination of size, strength, quickness and athleticism played at Auburn about a generation ago.

Period.

The last CBB player that came anywhere close to Zion’s combination of size, strength, quickness and athleticism played at Auburn about a generation ago.
Well it can't be period, right? Barkley was a great player, one of the greatest of all time, but guys who eventually become some of the greatest of all time are drafted at least once every couple years. For example, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Steph Curry are all going to go down as some of the greatest players of all time when their careers are done. They were all drafted within a 7-year period (2003-09).

Are any of those players just like Barkley? No, but they all had similar impacts on their teams and are some of the best ever at their positions, just like Barkley was. On the flipside Barkley is not just like any of those guys I previously mentioned; they are all unique at least in some way, some more unique than others. It seems like "generational talent" is a phrase that gets way overused or misused. If you're talking about a once in a generation chance for a team to draft a player of that talent, I suppose it is accurate, but "legendary" players actually come around more often than you'd think.

Well it can't be period, right? Barkley was a great player, one of the greatest of all time, but guys who eventually become some of the greatest of all time are drafted at least once every couple years. For example, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Steph Curry are all going to go down as some of the greatest players of all time when their careers are done. They were all drafted within a 7-year period (2003-09).

Are any of those players just like Barkley? No, but they all had similar impacts on their teams and are some of the best ever at their positions, just like Barkley was. On the flipside Barkley is not just like any of those guys I previously mentioned; they are all unique at least in some way, some more unique than others. It seems like "generational talent" is a phrase that gets way overused or misused. If you're talking about a once in a generation chance for a team to draft a player of that talent, I suppose it is accurate, but "legendary" players actually come around more often than you'd think.

Your opinion is noted.

Zion Williamson is a generational talent...in my opinion.

I had a pair of Nikes fall apart like that once...I didn't get hurt or anything but the entire bottom came off while I was walking...I just laughed about it but this is nothing to laugh about...Hope that kid is ok.

Do you think he has a chance to go down as one of the greatest NBA players of all time then...as good/better than LeBron or Jordan?

Nope...being labeled a generational talent in CBB does not get you into the conversation with two of the greatest basketball players of all-time.

Zion could be a complete bust in the NBA, and two teams passed on drafting Michael Jordan.

All I’ve stayed up to this point, is that Zion is a generational talent unlike we’ve seen in CBB since Barkley. Your disdain for the so-called overuse of the term “generational talent” is noted, but in my opinion it applies to Zion.

Reactions: NashVol11
Nope...being labeled a generational talent in CBB does not get you into the conversation with two of the greatest basketball players of all-time.

Zion could be a complete bust in the NBA, and two teams passed on drafting Michael Jordan.

All I’ve stayed up to this point, is that Zion is a generational talent unlike we’ve seen in CBB since Barkley. Your disdain for the so-called overuse of the term “generational talent” is noted, but in my opinion it applies to Zion.
I'm not saying Zion is or is not a generational talent. Not arguing that point. I think he pretty clearly is a generational talent if you're talking about a specific team's ability to acquire him. That kind of thing does come around once every 25-30 years, in all likelihood. It's a once-in-a-generation chance for a team like the Knicks, Suns, Bulls, Cavs, or whoever wins the lottery. I guess technically a twice-in-a-generation chance for the Cavs, but I digress.

But if you want to talk about generational in terms of basketball period, Zion is going to be playing in the NBA, at least for the early part of his career, along with guys like LeBron, Durant, Russ, Curry, etc. For him to be generational relative to everyone in the entire sport, he's going to have to have an NBA career that is at least almost as good as those guys, if not better. That's a huge statement to make about a college player, no matter how good they are. I guess my ultimate point is that "generational talents" actually come around way more often than once in a generation.

Of those 7 guys you named, 4 of them are definitely not generational talents. Wade is an all time great, but there isn't anything particularly unique about his talent. Curry is 30% talent and 70% skill.

Of those 7 guys you named, 4 of them are definitely not generational talents. Wade is an all time great, but there isn't anything particularly unique about his talent. Curry is 30% talent and 70% skill.
You're getting too hung up on the semantics of "talent." Curry is an incredibly talented player regardless of what percentage of it comes from "natural talent" or skill developed over time. When people use that phrase generational talent, it's usually shorthand for a guy they think could go on to be one of the greatest players ever.

Zion might very well go on to be one of the greatest players ever, but I don't think guys like him, in terms of either talent, skill, or whatever, come along every 25 years (or however you define a generation). They come along more often than that.

You're getting too hung up on the semantics of "talent." Curry is an incredibly talented player regardless of what percentage of it comes from "natural talent" or skill developed over time. When people use that phrase generational talent, it's usually shorthand for a guy they think could go on to be one of the greatest players ever.

Zion might very well go on to be one of the greatest players ever, but I don't think guys like him, in terms of either talent, skill, or whatever, come along every 25 years (or however you define a generation). They come along more often than that.

Words mean things

VN Store

Back