The Official Detroit Lions Den Thread

Jaguars beating the Colts at the half. 13-3

If they win and we lose, number #1 goes to the Lions

Drake London, Quintez Cepheus, Josh Reynolds and Amon Ra St. Brown would be a fun receiving corps

Reactions: MAD
This game has no impact for the Packers, but I bet it’s killing Rogers watching from the bench a potential come from behind win against the Lions.

For the first time since 2014, we are heading in the right direction

Some staggered thoughts as I wind down for bed:

1) I got to give it to Dan Campbell man. Going 3-5-1 after a bye, with a win against two playoff teams (yes I know GB didn’t play a majority of starters in the second half) and a tie against a playoff team was pretty solid work. We were in 13/17 games with one of those blowouts being a Tim Boyle start. Campbell only made two ghastly mistakes (double TO on thanksgiving/kicking the FG against Atlanta) that cost us and he’s a little kicker luck away from 5 wins. Aaron Glenn was a great hire and a future stud DC. The team only quit in one game and we were one of the most injured teams in the league. This easily could have been an 0-17/1-16 team. And we were competitive for most of the year. We had 6 losses within one score. And the team got better as the season went on.

2) Disappointed Anthony Lynn didn’t work out, but kudos to Campbell for making a change and handling it well with grace and it didn’t rock the team. And Dan actually did a solid job calling plays for the first time ever. Plus I love, love, love the aggressiveness this year. Please keep that up. Don’t play scared and keeping playing for wins.

3) This 2021 draft class…atta baby Brad Holmes! We got two studs in Sewell and St. Brown and another long term starter in McNeil. Plus two other potential starters in Barnes and Melifonwu, two Day 3 guys who had to step up and didn’t look completely lost. Jemar Jefferson was a 7th round pick so whatever. Only disappointing rookie was Onzuwarike…hopefully a full off season helps him. And that doesn’t include AJ Parker, a rookie UDFA who did fine as a nickel corner this year.

4) Jared Goff isn’t going to lead us to a Super Bowl. But he played much better the last five games, and was very good in the 3 wins (3-1 his last four games!). He deserves the 2022 starting job considering how poor his receivers were for the first 10 weeks. If we can sign or draft a legit WR and get Cepheus back healthy I like his chances to be above average next year with our OL.

5) Shout out to the staff for these guys’ development: Amari Owurayire, Jonah Jackson, Tracy Walker, Will Harris, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Hali Vaitai and Julio Okwara…all guys who either looked lost or were limited last year and look like can be pieces in the future.

6) We went 3-13-1…let’s not pretend we were good. We are still another two years away from potentially being serious contenders and the long term future at QB will need to be solved. But considering how hard this team played all year, how much better we played the second half of the year and the improvement of individual players…I gotta say I feel really good about the direction of the Lions. For the first time since 2011, I have confidence in the coaching staff and front office. And hey, that group never won a playoff game. So I could be wrong. But I believe the Detroit Lions are on the right path.

Reactions: Chippo and MAD

VN Store

Back