The Official #6 Tennessee vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
#6 Tennessee Volunteers: 5-1 (0-0 SEC)

5bff5e2d5c481.image.jpg

vs.

Texas A&M - Corpus Christi Islanders: 4-3 (0-0 Southland)

IMG_1380_1-660x330.jpg

GAME 7 | TENNESSEE VS. TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI - Dec. 2, 2018 | 12:01 p.m. ET | | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: N/A
O/U: N/A

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: --, XM: --
Online: WatchESPN.com

7_Texas_A_M_Corpus_Christi_v2.jpg

THE SERIES

This is Tennessee's first-ever basketball matchup with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Tennessee's only previous game against a Southland Conference opponent was a 79-58 home win over Southeastern Louisiana on Nov. 22, 1985.

Reactions: RollerVol
A WIN WOULD…

Extend Tennessee's home win streak to 13 games, dating to last season. It is UT's longest home win streak during the Barnes era.

Improve UT's record vs. current members of the Southland Conference to 2-0.

Give Rick Barnes an 18-0 head coaching record against Southland Conference opponents.

STORYLINES

A&M-Corpus Christi head coach Willis Wilson was an assistant coach under Josh Pastner at Memphis from 2009-11. During Wilson's two seasons at Memphis, the Tigers went 49-19 but were 0-2 against Tennessee.

Tennessee has committed fewer turnovers than its opponent in all six games this season.

Grant Williams leads the SEC in scoring (21.5 ppg) and ranks second in field-goal percentage (.597) and rebounding (8.8 rpg).

As a team, Tennessee leads the SEC in 3-point field-goal defense (.275), rebounding (43.5 rpg), assists per game (21.2 apg) and assist/turnover ratio (1.7).

Three Vols rank among the top 10 in the SEC in assist/turnover ratio. Jordan Bone is fourth (2.7), Admiral Schofield ranks sixth (1.7) and Grant Williams is seventh (1.5).

ABOUT TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI

Meeting for the first time on the hardwood, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi comes to Knoxville returning three of its top five scorers from last season, including junior guard Kareem South (10.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.1 spg), who started all 29 games a year ago.

Head coach Willis Wilson, who is in his eighth season, signed five junior college or graduate transfers to the roster for this season to help add experience to the roster.

The top signee was forward Jashawn Talton, who was named the North Texas Junior College Athletics Conference Player of the Year last season after posting 13.0 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game while shooting 59 percent from the field. This season, he has started all seven games for the Islanders and is averaging 6.4 point and a team-leading 6.1 rebounds per game.

Sophomore guard Myles Smith is the team's leading scorer this season with 12.7 ppg on 52 percent shooting (34-of-65). Smith has scored in double figures in each of the last five games, including a pair of 20-point performances.

Junior forward Tony Lewis rounds out the double-digit scorers in his first season with the Islanders. The junior college product has been one of the most well-rounded players this season with 10.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 1.0 bpg. Against UT Rio Grande Valley, he posted a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds to go along with three blocks.

This is the type game you think your starting 5 should steam roll to start the game and allow the guys coming off the bench to get extended playing time

I lived the last three years in Corpus. TAMUCC is a pretty cool branch campus, it sits on an island next to the Naval Air Station. The sports teams they have are usually disciplined and do a decent job of punching above their weight class (I think their baseball team beat Texas last year, for example). Still, not much chance against UT.

Know literally nothing about this team. Did not know they existed. Would love for us to break 100 finally, but being that it’s a 12 o clock start I expect us to be a little sluggish to begin.

Vols 86
whoever they are 58

Know literally nothing about this team. Did not know they existed. Would love for us to break 100 finally, but being that it’s a 12 o clock start I expect us to be a little sluggish to begin.

Vols 86
whoever they are 58
Wonder how many of the church crowd will backslide and worship in the arena today.

Wonder how many of the church crowd will backslide and worship in the arena today.
Yikes I didn't think about that.... I'm skipping to watch the lords team today my self lol... Wonder if they've thought about having service @tba before games? This is a million dollar idea, imo.

Think we are going to have to find a diff scoring option off the bench this year, not liking how this turner thing is playing out.
Apparently it’s in his head. Also, I didn’t know he had two shoulder surgeries. Thought it was just one. He should be back to his self by sec play I’d think

Apparently it’s in his head. Also, I didn’t know he had two shoulder surgeries. Thought it was just one. He should be back to his self by sec play I’d think
I hope, did you see how he was shooting that last game? I’m afraid these surgeries might have made him change his shot so much he may not be able to be effective.. kind of like a sniper who gets blinded in both eyes... why can’t we have nice things!?!?! To have a shot at being elite this year we really needed that production.

I hope, did you see how he was shooting that last game? I’m afraid these surgeries might have made him change his shot so much he may not be able to be effective.. kind of like a sniper who gets blinded in both eyes... why can’t we have nice things!?!?! To have a shot at being elite this year we really needed that production.
Turner is the type of guy to figure it out, and make adjustments I feel like. Kinda like admiral who also had a slow start to the season. We also have some of the best medical/ strength staff in the league. I think he’ll be fine.

We really need someone to step into the Lamonte role if he is going to be out against Gonzaga

VN Store

Back