The Official #6 Tennessee vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Guys don't you think that our problems really begin to stick out like a sore thumb. We still have awhile before SEC play begins but evidently our problems with Bone, Bowden, Pons, Walker, Fulky not improving. Some of these guys absolutely have to separate themselves from the crowd or we are going to be hurting. Still time to solve some problems.

Doesn't deserve many minutes and is like 1-10 from the FT line, this year. Really disappointed in his development

Sophomore slump. The reality is one of these backup bigs need to give the team more consistent minutes. Walker appears as uncomfortable with the ball as Fulkerson. He is not strong with it and appears finesse.

Combine the lack of depth in the post with lack of PG depth and long distance shooting then I think you can say we are not hitting on all cylinders.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I do feel a little uneasy about it. It actually makes me really surprised that we didn't add a grad transfer like last year that sees a great opportunity.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Guys don't you think that our problems really begin to stick out like a sore thumb. We still have awhile before SEC play begins but evidently our problems with Bone, Bowden, Pons, Walker, Fulky not improving. Some of these guys absolutely have to separate themselves from the crowd or we are going to be hurting. Still time to solve some problems.
If you don't think Bone, Pins, and Fulky haven't improved then your watching something different from me

Hope the defensive focus comes back for the Zags. And hope Bowden doesn't take the rest of the month off now that he had a decent game. Break the pattern son.

Williams has improved also. Admiral and Turner aren't playing at the same level as last year yet IMHO. When those 2 hit their stride the team will take a big step forward.

If you don't think Bone, Pins, and Fulky haven't improved then your watching something different from me
give me your guys off the bench for the zags game. We have to have at least some consistency. I think Barnes is somewhat all over the place trying to figure it out himself. We have to have shooters who have ice in their veins and not afraid to put it up when it is on the line. Point guards should shoot when open and have no fear. A few of our guys tighten up badly and shy away. Real play makers live for the moment. You tell me who the guy is that wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line.

Bone, Pons and Fulk haven’t improved in your opinion?

give me your guys off the bench for the zags game. We have to have at least some consistency. I think Barnes is somewhat all over the place trying to figure it out himself. We have to have shooters who have ice in their veins and not afraid to put it up when it is on the line. Point guards should shoot when open and have no fear. A few of our guys tighten up badly and shy away. Real play makers live for the moment. You tell me who the guy is that wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line.
If we want to compete with the Zags we're going to have to score off of defensive rebounds and TOs and make it a 94 foot game. Play them half court and rely on our jump shots and they'll beat us 20 to 30 points.

Not that what you just responded with had anything to do with what he said, but ok. You're just wrong there. Guys with the ball at the end of the game: Lamonte, Grant, Admiral. Easy enough. Bench guys: lamonte, Bowden, johnson, fulkerson, Walker. Obviously we are going to stagger that so it isn't just a complete bench lineup. Lamonte needs to get healthy and we have the scoring punch off the bench with Bowden and him.

This isn't aimed at you, but we are way too critical of this team even though we should have beat the #2 team in the nation, and would have beat them if Grant hadn't fouled out.

Not that what you just responded with had anything to do with what he said, but ok. You're just wrong there. Guys with the ball at the end of the game: Lamonte, Grant, Admiral. Easy enough. Bench guys: lamonte, Bowden, johnson, fulkerson, Walker. Obviously we are going to stagger that so it isn't just a complete bench lineup. Lamonte needs to get healthy and we have the scoring punch off the bench with Bowden and him.

This isn't aimed at you, but we are way too critical of this team even though we should have beat the #2 team in the nation, and would have beat them if Grant hadn't fouled out.
We didn't lose that game because Williams fouled out. We lost in regulation making key mistakes in the last 4 minutes and taking too many bad shots.

I would like to see Pons drive the ball some (similar to what Bowden did today). We need teams to respect him, we can’t have him just post feeding and occasionally taking the defense’s bated three.

Last edited:
Reactions: awaitingawin
Bone, Pons and Fulk haven’t improved in your opinion?
BTO what I have said is like in the Kansas game Bone just withered away after the first few points he scored. He should have been the perimeter guy because he had the touch. He should have stayed strong the whole game. Pons is in before Fulky because he is better at this point but Pons is capable of so much more. What exactlly is Pons game. Where does he excel. Fulky to me seems to be kind of a tweener. Can he post up. Can he drive to the basket. Is his game around the basket or 8 to 10 footers or even perimeter. Again, I will add Alexander. The guy can and should really have upped his game by now and not just a flash in the pan sort of thing each game. I think the kid can and should be Grants help way more. Admiral seems to be the one who has ice in his veins and if he is missing he is going to keep shooting until he starts hitting. He is more like a PG than anyone on our team right now. Maybe rdk4121 is right and I'm being a little too critical right now but that is how I see things so far. I also think most of the comments made in the forums about this team since the start of play has been pretty accurate. I think most of the posters in this forum are very knowledgeable

BTO what I have said is like in the Kansas game Bone just withered away after the first few points he scored. He should have been the perimeter guy because he had the touch. He should have stayed strong the whole game. Pons is in before Fulky because he is better at this point but Pons is capable of so much more. What exactlly is Pons game. Where does he excel. Fulky to me seems to be kind of a tweener. Can he post up. Can he drive to the basket. Is his game around the basket or 8 to 10 footers or even perimeter. Again, I will add Alexander. The guy can and should really have upped his game by now and not just a flash in the pan sort of thing each game. I think the kid can and should be Grants help way more. Admiral seems to be the one who has ice in his veins and if he is missing he is going to keep shooting until he starts hitting. He is more like a PG than anyone on our team right now. Maybe rdk4121 is right and I'm being a little too critical right now but that is how I see things so far. I also think most of the comments made in the forums about this team since the start of play has been pretty accurate. I think most of the posters in this forum are very knowledgeable

Not every player is going to be a star, it amazes me that people expect the 7th guy in our rotation to come in and dominate. I’m trying to figure out how exactly we took the #2 team in the country to OT while having so many deficiencies on our roster?

Reactions: walkenvol
Not every player is going to be a star, it amazes me that people expect the 7th guy in our rotation to come in and dominate. I’m trying to figure out how exactly we took the #2 team in the country to OT while having so many deficiencies on our roster?

Did you notice that the team was totally exhausted at the end of the game. A few extra minutes rest and some scoring off the bench makes a huge difference. Also BTO sometimes the 6th and 7th men can come off the bench and their be no drop off or very little. Sometimes that 6th man is as good as the 5th but you can only start 5..................The fact of the matter is....is that we have to have 7 good men in rotation. Those 2 off the bench are going to have to provide some scoring along with defense...right now one of those everyone likes just can hardly even hit a free throw. When we get into SEC play were are going to face some tremendous athletes...If our perimeter shooting isn't there they are going to pack the middle to help shut down Williams. I think I have heard most people say our bench must improve rather than say we have deficiencies.

Did you notice that the team was totally exhausted at the end of the game. A few extra minutes rest and some scoring off the bench makes a huge difference. Also BTO sometimes the 6th and 7th men can come off the bench and their be no drop off or very little. Sometimes that 6th man is as good as the 5th but you can only start 5..................The fact of the matter is....is that we have to have 7 good men in rotation. Those 2 off the bench are going to have to provide some scoring along with defense...right now one of those everyone likes just can hardly even hit a free throw. When we get into SEC play were are going to face some tremendous athletes...If our perimeter shooting isn't there they are going to pack the middle to help shut down Williams. I think I have heard most people say our bench must improve rather than say we have deficiencies.

No I didn’t notice exhaustion, I noticed some poor execution when the best player went out of the game...as I’ve pointed out before most of the best teams in the country only go 7-8 guys deep, so you don’t have to go 10 deep. There’s also the question is does Pons stay in the lineup and Bowden off the bench, today he chipped in 14 points off the bench, not sure how much more you can ask for? I’m not gonna do the math but my guess is that among Top 10-15 teams in the country we aren’t the lowest in bench points percentage.

I think most people also realize that the reigning 6th MOY is Lamonte Turner, a guy that hasn’t really been a factor or healthy yet for this team, are you assuming he’s going to be out all season?

We didn't lose that game because Williams fouled out. We lost in regulation making key mistakes in the last 4 minutes and taking too many bad shots.
"Bad things don't happen to you because your unlucky. Bad things happen to you because you're a dumbass" - Red Foreman

Reactions: The Dog
I would like to see Pons drive the ball some (similar to what Bowden did today). We need teams to respect him, we can’t have him just post feeding and occasionally taking the defense’s bated three.
Don't think he has the handles to dribble drive, but if he does he has to be more comfortable with ft's

Reactions: Vols All Day
All you talk about is individual offense - there's more to team basketball than that

I'm not sure why anyone would say that. They literally couldn't stop him in the last 5 minutes, he scored or assisted on our last 13 points in regulation, and obviously our last shot in regulation would have gone to him instead of Bone. Maybe we don't win it there with that shot, but given how much he was dominating them, I'll take our chances. There are other reasons we didn't win, like no securing the defensive rebound at the end (which Grant would have helped with), but that's the main reason.

No I didn’t notice exhaustion, I noticed some poor execution when the best player went out of the game...as I’ve pointed out before most of the best teams in the country only go 7-8 guys deep, so you don’t have to go 10 deep. There’s also the question is does Pons stay in the lineup and Bowden off the bench, today he chipped in 14 points off the bench, not sure how much more you can ask for? I’m not gonna do the math but my guess is that among Top 10-15 teams in the country we aren’t the lowest in bench points percentage.

I think most people also realize that the reigning 6th MOY is Lamonte Turner, a guy that hasn’t really been a factor or healthy yet for this team, are you assuming he’s going to be out all season?

On Turner I don't even think Barnes has an idea from the way I heard him talk. It's just a psychological thing right now. I think as far as the 6th and 7th man is concerned most of us think we need to find the 2 and that they need to provide more help by executing on the floor.

Other than that I appreciate what you bring to the BB forum...I enjoy reading your post. Thx

VN Store

Back