The Official #6 Tennessee vs. Lenoir-Rhyne Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#6 Tennessee Volunteers: 0-0 (0-0 SEC)

_WG_9413.JPG

vs.

Lenoir-Rhyne Bears (DII): 0-0 (0-0 SAC)

SIDEARMMBB15.jpg

NOV. 6, 2018 | 7 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena

Line: N/A
O/U: N/A

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: --, XM: --
Online: WatchESPN.com

1_Lenoir_Rhyne.jpg

ABOUT LENOIR-RHYNE

• Lenoir–Rhyne is a private, co-ed liberal arts university founded in 1891 and located in Hickory, N.C.
• The Bears compete in South Atlantic Conference, which also features East Tennessee schools Carson-Newman University, Lincoln Memorial University and Tusculum College.
• Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes is a Lenoir-Rhyne alumnus. Barnes is a Hickory native who played for the Bears from 1974-77. During those same years, Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King were starring at Tennessee.
• Barnes earned a bachelor's degree in health and physical education from Lenoir-Rhyne in 1977 and was named the college's Distinguished Alumnus in 1997. He was inducted into the Lenoir-Rhyne College Hall of Fame on Oct. 5, 2002, and received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Lenoir-Rhyne on May 7, 2005.
• Tennessee Director of Player Development/Video Coorindator Bryan Lentz began his career working for nine years coaching alongside his father, legendary Lenoir-Rhyne head coach John Lentz. During that stretch, the Bears won five South Atlantic Conference regular-season titles, one SAC Tournament title and made to five NCAA Division II Tournament appearances. In his final two seasons at L-R, Bryan served as the Bears' associate head coach.
• John Lentz was the head coach at Lenoir-Rhyne for 29 years and was college roommates at L-R with Barnes.
• Honorable mention 2017-18 All-South Atlantic Conference honoree Djibril Diallo was the best player for the Bears in 2017-18 and will be a senior this year. The guard led the team with 15.1 ppg, 4.1 apg and 1.6 spg last season, while finishing second in rebounding with 4.2 rpg. Diallo was the only Bear to start all 27 games last year.

TENNESSEE RETURNS 90 PERCENT OF ITS SCORING, SIXTH-MOST AMONG
"POWER FIVE" PROGRAMS

• After returning all five starters from last year's squad and losing only two players, the Vols have gone from one of the youngest rosters in college basketball to one of the most experienced.
• Of its 2,584 total points scored last season, Tennessee returns 2,325—or 90 percent—which ranks as the highest percentage in the SEC and the sixth-highest amongst Power Five teams.
• UT's top five from scorers from a year ago will suit up in orange and white once again this year, including all three Vols who averaged double-digit scoring in Grant Williams (15.2 ppg), Admiral Schofield (13.9 ppg) and Lamonté Turner (10.9 ppg).
• In addition to scoring, Tennessee also returns a staggering amount of its production from last season in field goals made (91.2%), rebounding (94.8%) and blocks (96.8%).

VOLS EARN HIGHEST-EVER PRESEASON AP RANKING

• With a roster that returns nearly every major contributor from last season, including all five starters, UT received its highest ranking ever in the Associated Press preseason poll, coming in at No. 6.
• Tennessee has been listed in the top 10 of every major preseason poll. ESPN's Basketball Power Index (BPI) and analyst Dick Vitale tabbed the Vols as the No. 3 team in the country, while CBS and Andy Katz of the NCAA each ranked the Vols as the fourth best team in the nation.
• UT has been ranked in the preseason AP poll 14 times, with the previous high of No. 7 coming during the 2007-08 campaign. That year, the Big Orange eventually made their way to No. 1 for the first time ever and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen.
• This is the sixth time Tennessee has started the season ranked in the top 10 of the preseason AP poll (see chart below). It also marks the first time UT enters the season ranked since 2010-11, when the Vols landed at No. 23 heading into the season-opener.

LEAGUE MEDIA PICKS VOLS SECOND; WILLIAMS IS PRESEASON POY PICK

• In mid-October, a panel of league media picked Tennessee to finish second in the SEC regular-season race, behind Kentucky.
• The media predicted forward Grant Williams to repeat as SEC Player of the Year (and to be a first-team All-SEC performer), while wing Admiral Schofield was tabbed as a preseason All-SEC second-teamer.

My son went to Lenoir-Rhyne on a golf scholarship. He called today to talk a little smack. Yeah, right, kid. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Bringback98
I still can't believe we couldn't find a better opponent than Lenoir-Rhyne but whatever. At least it will be over early and we will see our bench players get some run. They need all the experience they can get.

I still can't believe we couldn't find a better opponent than Lenoir-Rhyne but whatever. At least it will be over early and we will see our bench players get some run. They need all the experience they can get.
Doubt there’s much difference between them and a low major cupcake like some of the others we have scheduled.

In the spring of 1983 in Swain County North Carolina, my three college choices came down to Wake Forest, Lenoir-Rhyne, and Tennessee. I believe I chose...wisely. :)

My 3 things I’m looking for...

1. Dominate the 1st half, similar to what we did against Tusculum, ideally would like to see a cleaner 2nd half but that is understandable. Would like to see guys 1-6 ride the bench in the 2nd half.

2. Show that same defense as last year, that once again should be our bread and butter. Keeping opponents under 40%fg yielded a 18-0 record last year, under 105drtg yielded a 24-1 record, be watching those 2 numbers all season.

3. A more efficient offense, we weren’t bad offensively last season but it wasn’t at the level of our defense. If we are going to be the team many hope for then our offense will need to take the next step and become more efficient, that will start with 2pt%fg which we ranked near the bottom nationally in last year.

VN Store

Back