The Official #5 Tennessee vs. Mississippi State Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#5 Tennessee Volunteers: 26-3 (14-2 SEC)

f616a74ca8004406929fca853501dc26.jpg

vs.

Mississippi State Bulldogs: 21-8 (9-7 SEC)

USATSI_12270119.jpg

GAME 30 | TENNESSEE vs. MISSISSIPPI STATE - March 5, 2019 | 9:05 p.m. ET | | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -8
O/U: 148

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 119, XM: 190
Online: WatchESPN

30_Miss_State.jpg

A WIN WOULD...

Preserve Tennessee's perfect home record this season.

Give the Vols their first undefeated home season since 2007-08.

Stretch the Vols' home win streak to 26 games, dating to last season.

Give the Vols seven consecutive wins over teams from the state of Mississippi.

Exceed Tennessee's win total from last season (26-9).

STORYLINES

Four Volunteers seniors will be honored before Tuesday's game: Kyle Alexander, Lucas Campbell, Admiral Schofield and Brad Woodson.

Tennessee is in a two-way tie for first place in the SEC standings with LSU.

Two of Tennessee's three losses this season have come in overtime, and all three were away from home against top-15 opponents and Q1 teams.

For the second year in a row, the Vols are assured of finishing the season with single-digit losses.

Tennessee's average home attendance of 18,945 ranks fourth nationally.

Tennessee guards Jordan Bone (2.9) and Lamonté Turner (2.4) rank first and second in the SEC, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio during league games. Not surprisingly, the Vols also rank first as a team (1.7).

ABOUT MISSISSIPPI STATE

Ben Howland's squad is one of five teams in a battle for the four seed and a double bye in the SEC Tournament. Mississippi State enters the game coming off its first loss in three weeks, falling 80-75 at Auburn on Saturday.

The Bulldogs (21-8, 9-7 SEC) are led by three-time All-SEC performer Quinndary Weatherspoon (18.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.6 spg). The senior guard leads the SEC in scoring (19.8 ppg) during league play and has dropped 20 points in 13 games this year.

Junior guard Lamar Peters leads MSU in assists (5.4 apg), steals (1.7 spg) and 3-pointers made (68) and is second on the team in scoring with 11.6 points per game. Peters, Weatherspoon (46) and junior Tyson Carter (43) are all capable of going off from beyond the arc on any given night. Carter (9.8 ppg, .458 FG%) dropped a season-high 22 points behind four threes against Missouri last week.

As a team, the Bulldogs are one of the best squads at blocking shots (5.2 bpg), ranking ninth in the country and second in the SEC behind the Vols. They are also second in the league in 3-pointers per game (8.4) and 3-point field-goal percentage (.374). MSU is 20th in the nation and third in the conference in steals per game (8.3), as well.

Good morning Volunteer Supporters!

Still lavishing my thoughts with the Cat Kicking we provided Kentucky, loved it.

I hope our team is not doing the same, I hope they have moved on and are prepared for the task at hand.

Go Big Orange!

I think our great group of juniors will want to send Kyle, Admiral, and the other seniors out on a high note. I wouldn't guarantee a win but also doubt this will be a trap game. Miss St is good so anything can happen.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I hope KA gets to play a full game tonight. I would hate to see him go out on his senior night like he has the last few games.

The boys should be pumped up for tonight, and hopefully the crowd will be electric with it being senior night. I'm going 82-68 for the good guys

I think Tennessee wins 79-68 over Mississippi State moving one step closer to their 2nd straight SEC Championship:cool:

Have not been able to watch MSU at all this year. Do they slow it down in the half court or play run and gun?

VN Store

Back