The Official #4 Tennessee Vs Eastern Kentucky Tuesday Game Thread (6:30PM)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
#4 Tennessee (24-5) Overall (7-2) SEC
322814_20210323_BB_Eastern_Kentucky_CJ_061.jpg
VS
Eastern Kentucky (9-17) Overall (4-8) OVC

Darren_Williams_01_2021_04_03_Game_2_vs_Austin_Peay_by_Corey_Rush_.jpg
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Fresh off another series victory, the fourth-ranked Tennessee baseball team hosts Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. in the first of four home games this week at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. After dropping the series opener at Alabama last weekend, the Vols responded with back-to-back wins on Saturday and Sunday to take the series and improve to 7-2 in SEC play this season. Tuesday's matchup with the Colonels will be the second meeting between the two teams this season after UT defeated EKU 13-5 earlier this year.

GAMEDAY INFORMATION
Relying on the expertise of public health authorities, the state of Tennessee, appropriate university and government agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we are implementing a number of new initiatives at Tennessee Baseball gamedays this spring. The well-being of our student-athletes, fans and staff are our top priorities and guide our decisions. Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit.

The Southeastern Conference in August released several conference-wide fan health and safety guidelines for all member institutions this fall. The Tennessee-specific measures outlined on this page are in line with, and in addition to, the SEC's guidelines.

Parking
Baseball parking is located primarily in Lots GF1, G16, and C1.

Additional on-street parking is located in C10 along Todd Helton Dr. and Chamique Holdsclaw Dr. and along West Volunteer Blvd. Handicap parking is located in marked handicap spaces on Pat Head Summitt St. and in the G16 Volunteer Blvd. garage. The 2021 parking map can be seen HERE (PDF). For more information and gameday info, visit the Tennessee Baseball Gameday Information page by clicking HERE.

TICKET INFORMATION
Lindsey Nelson Stadium continues to operate with reduced capacity to align with state and local social-distancing guidelines for public gatherings. Season tickets, as well as single-game tickets for upcoming series are currently sold out.

Single game tickets may be available for select games based on visiting team ticket returns. Fans are encouraged to call the Ticket Office at 865-656-1200 for individual game availability. For weekend series, please contact the Ticket Office on Fridays before 5:00 p.m. Single-game tickets can also be purchased through Vivid Seats by clicking HERE.

In order to keep Lindsey Nelson Stadium as full as possible during a season with limited capacity, we are encouraging season ticket holders who are unable to use their tickets for a game(s) to either transfer your tickets to someone else (Instructions HERE), sell them on VividSeats (Instructions HERE) or participate in our new Seats for Student program (Instructions HERE).

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Bob Kesling (PxP) and Charlie Puleo (color) on the call. Fans can also listen to the official Vol Network radio call on Sports Radio WNML (FM 99.1 / AM 990), as well as UTSports.com and the UT Gameday app. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara will call the action.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Tennessee leads, 30-4
In Knoxville: UT leads, 18-2
In Richmond: UT leads, 3-0
Neutral Sites: N/A
Site Unknown: UT leads, 9-2
Last Meeting: W, 13-5 (March 23, 2021)

Tennessee's 13-5 win over the Colonels just a few weeks ago improved its record to 18-2 all-time against EKU in Knoxville. The Vols have won 13 of the past 14 meetings in the series.

NOTABLE
Vols Continue Rankings Climb
UT's enters this week as a consensus top-10 team. Its No. 4 ranking by USA Today, Collegiate Baseball News and the NCBWA is its highest since finishing at No. 4 in the final NCBWA and Collegiate Baseball News polls in 2001.

Extra Innings Magic
Tennessee improved its record to 6-0 when going to extra innings this season with last Saturday's 8-4, 11-inning win at Alabama. The Vols have won their past seven games that have gone to extras dating back to 2019.

Starting SEC Play Strong
With last Sunday's win over the Crimson Tide, the Big Orange improved to 7-2 in SEC play this season, their best start to league play since 2001 when they were 8-1. UT has also won its first three conference series for the first time since that 2001 season. The Vols have won both of their SEC road series, as well, marking the first time they have done that since 2005 (Auburn and Kentucky).

Non-Conference & Midweek Dominance
UT has been close to unbeatable in non-conference and midweek games in the past couple of years. Since the start of the 2019 season, the Vols are 58-10 against non-conference foes. The Big Orange have also posted an impressive 34-6 record in midweek games since Tony Vitello became head coach in 2018. Tennessee is 17-3 in non-conference games this season, including a 6-1 record in midweek contests.

Streaking Vols
A handful of Vols carry impressive streaks into Tuesday's game. Liam Spence (31), Max Ferguson (22) and Jake Rucker (14) all have double-digit on-base streaks while Rucker (14) and Spence (11) both have lengthy hitting streaks, as well.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
  • 2021 Record: 9-17 (4-8 OVC)
  • Rankings: Not Ranked
  • 2019 Postseason: N/A
  • Head Coach: Chris Prothro (1st season) // Helped lead South Alabama to two conference titles and two NCAA Regional appearances as an assistant coach.
  • Predicted OVC Finish: 6th
  • Preseason All-OVC Selections: Daniel Harris IV (1st Team – 2B)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Santiago Peralta (.333)
    • Runs: Caleb Upshaw & Cam Ridley (21)
    • Hits: Caleb Upshaw (30)
    • Home Runs: Caleb Upshaw (7)
    • RBI: Caleb Upshaw (26)
    • Stolen Bases: Cam Ridley (6-11)
    • Wins: Louis Davenport III & Bryce Travis (2)
    • ERA (min. 15.0 IP): Will Brian (2.60)
    • Innings Pitched: Darren Williams (35.2)
    • Strikeouts: Louis Davenport III (43)
  • Notable: EKU has beaten two ranked teams this season with wins over No. 15 Georgia Tech (Feb. 20) and No. 7 Louisville (March 16).
GAME PROMOTIONS
Upcoming promotions for all Tennessee athletics home events can be found on the UT Fan Experience page by clicking HERE. Fans are encouraged to download the My All App for their phones and devices this season. The app is available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store and will allow fans to participate in in-game trivia, the custom filter selfie cam and more throughout the year.

ON DECK
A top-10 matchup awaits this weekend as the Vols host No. 10 Florida at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. First pitch for Game 1 of the series is slated for 6:30 p.m. on Friday night.

I'm wanting this game to start NOW !!! Wow .... up to a rank of #4. Let's live up to this w/a 14-2 beatdown.

Apparently, someone believes this game in no way represents an event with "trap game" potential. I do believe our Vols may get caught looking ahead to Florida this weekend. Lots of rankings rat poison out there.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Apparently, someone believes this game in no way represents an event with "trap game" potential. I do believe our Vols may get caught looking ahead to Florida this weekend. Lots of rankings rat poison out there.

As of late McLaughlin has been our mid week starter. He has been solid so Vitello used him this weekend out of the pen, doubt he starts tonight. Which opens up the door for someone else to get this start - maybe Pleasants or Rackers. Regardless of who it is, we need 4 or 5 good innings from the starter or we may get beat by a ‘BRUIN BAD’ team.

Reactions: BigDave
Fitzgibbons is getting the start tonight.
Don’t know how but I forgot about Fitz. Hopefully he does well, I think we really need innings from him these next 2 weekends. His velo has been touching 91 or so and his slider is pretty good too. Definitely SEC stuff from a lefty.

Reactions: BigDave
Don’t know how but I forgot about Fitz. Hopefully he does well, I think we really need innings from him these next 2 weekends. His velo has been touching 91 or so and his slider is pretty good too. Definitely SEC stuff from a lefty.

We’re gonna need him and a few others for the post season, I’d like to see more of Housely too.

As of late McLaughlin has been our mid week starter. He has been solid so Vitello used him this weekend out of the pen, doubt he starts tonight. Which opens up the door for someone else to get this start - maybe Pleasants or Rackers. Regardless of who it is, we need 4 or 5 good innings from the starter or we may get beat by a ‘BRUIN BAD’ team.

Is Rackers healthy again?? That's a huge arm to have back if so.

We’re gonna need him and a few others for the post season, I’d like to see more of Housely too.
Yeah I like Housley a lot. His velo has been up to 94-95 then back down to 90-91, all over the place. I think that and command issues make it tough for Frank & Vitello to put him out there in SEC play. We need the 94-95 guy late in some of these tight games, if only for one batter.

Reactions: vol66
He was in the dugout at Bama.

Ah ok. You got my hopes up! It’s normal for guys to travel even though they have an injury, especially if they’re close to coming back. He hasn’t pitched since February, but would be a huge lift to get him back.

Bob Kesling? I’d rather listen to John Wilkerson. Bob will put us all to sleep by the 5th inning and we will have no idea what the score is when it happens.
I’m kidding, Bob is ok but I do prefer Wilkerson.
GBO!!

Reactions: jdogvol
Ah ok. You got my hopes up! It’s normal for guys to travel even though they have an injury, especially if they’re close to coming back. He hasn’t pitched since February, but would be a huge lift to get him back.
He is hard to miss. I don’t think he travels with that many to choose from unless he is ready or very close to ready. I was thinking we might see him if we ran away with a game this past weekend but that never happened. Maybe we see him tonight.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yeah I like Housley a lot. His velo has been up to 94-95 then back down to 90-91, all over the place. I think that and command issues make it tough for Frank & Vitello to put him out there in SEC play. We need the 94-95 guy late in some of these tight games, if only for one batter.

I figured as much as far as SEC play, but it would be great to see him get some more innings in the mid week.

Reactions: drawing dead
Bets on what inning the sound starts working?

Bob Kesling? I’d rather listen to John Wilkerson. Bob will put us all to sleep by the 5th inning and we will have no idea what the score is when it happens.
I’m kidding, Bob is ok but I do prefer Wilkerson.
GBO!!
Bob has no idea who our players are. "Ground out to the pitcher." "Lined out to the shortstop." No names, just positions. He's horrible.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood

VN Store

Back