The Official #4 Tennessee vs. #13 Louisiana NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 9:40 PM ET, CBS

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
NCAA Tournament - First Round

#4 Tennessee Volunteers: 23-10 (11-7 SEC)
Fq5K5SqXwAAmDLo

vs.

#13 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns: 23-8 (11-7 SEC)
4c13167d-d48a-4401-8cb4-7d936d6ca508-SBC_Mens_Basketball-USA_Vs._Lousiana_11.JPG

GAME 34 | TENNESSEE vs. LOUISIANA - Thursday, March 16, 2023 | 9:40 p.m. ET | Orlando, Fla. | Amway Center (20,000)

Line: UT -11
O/U: 135.5

TV: CBS / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen / Live Stats
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 202 / Internet: 965
Online: March Madness Live App

Louisiana Game Notes

FrDbeR-acAEJgxW

Last edited:
THURSDAY'S MATCHUP

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Louisiana, 9-1, dating to 1966. The Vols have won each of the last six meetings.
• The Ragin' Cajuns' lone win in the series came at the 1985 Sugar Bowl Classic in New Orleans.
• These programs have met twice previously in the NCAA Tournament, with the Volunteers winning both games.
• Tennessee posted a 61-57 triumph in the round of 48 in Indy in 1982.
• As the South No. 4 seed in 2000, UT beat the Ragin' Cajuns in the round of 64 in Birmingham, 63-58.
• The Vols and Cajuns have two common opponents this season. Both teams defeated McNeese. The Vols also defeated Texas, while Louisiana fell to the Longhorns.
• The Vols are 30-5 all-time against current members of the Sun Belt.
• UT's most recent postseason trip to the state of Florida resulted in an SEC Tournament championship last March in Tampa.

STORYLINES

• Tennessee and Indiana are the only teams in the field of 68 that have multiple wins over No. 1 seeds, with the Vols having beaten both Kansas and Alabama. The Vols also beat No. 2 seed Texas.
• This class of Tennessee seniors has never missed the NCAA Tournament.
• This is the fourth time under head coach Rick Barnes that the Vols have earned a seed of No. 4 or better in the Big Dance.
• Grad transfer Tyreke Key finally gets to experience March Madness after missing out during four stellar seasons at Indiana State, where he scored 1,650 points.
• The Vols haven't played with the rotation fully healthy since Feb. 8.
• Tennessee leads the nation in 3-point defense (.262) while ranking second in field-goal defense (.369) and third in scoring defense (58.0 ppg).
• Only five teams have reached the 70-point mark against these Vols.
• In three career NCAA Tournament games, Santiago Vescovi averages 11.3 points and 3.3 3-point makes per game.
• For the third time under head coach Rick Barnes, Tennessee has spent the entire season ranked in the AP Top 25.

SATURDAY SCENARIOS

• Tennessee is 7-8 all-time vs. Duke, with no meetings in the NCAA Tournament. The most recent meeting came at the 2011 Maui Invitational, a 77-67 Duke victory.
• Rick Barnes owns a 4-9 career head coaching record vs. Duke.
• In a 2009 second-round NCAA clash in Greensboro, N.C., Barnes' seventh-seeded Texas squad fell to second-seeded Duke, 74-69.
• Tennessee has never played Oral Roberts on the hardwood. Barnes, meanwhile, is 2-0 vs. the Golden Eagles, with both wins coming while he was the coach at Texas.
• Since the field expanded to 64/68 teams, Tennessee owns a 6-4 record in the round of 32. Last March, the Vols suffered a loss to Michigan in the second round in Indianapolis.
• The Vols own a 4-5 all-time record on March 18, including a 3-3 record in NCAA Tournament games.
• Sunday, March 19, is associate head coach Justin Gainey's 46th birthday.

ABOUT LOUISIANA

• Louisiana (26-7) is making its seventh NCAA Tournament appearance in program history and first since 2014 by way of capturing the Sun Belt's tournament title and automatic bid after finishing second in the league during the regular season.
• The Ragin' Cajuns finished the season ranked No. 89 in the NET and shared two opponents with Tennessee—falling to Texas (Dec. 21) and defeating McNeese (Dec. 15).
• Junior forward Jordan Brown was a first-team All-SBC selection, while senior guard Greg Williams Jr. was named to the league's second team.
• Brown, a former McDonald's All-American who has career stops at Nevada and Arizona before transferring to Louisiana, is averaging 19.4 ppg and 8.7 rpg this season.
• As a team, Louisiana ranks 15th in Division I in field-goal percentage (.484).

TENNESSEE IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT

• The Vols are making their 25th all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. The Big Orange own a 23-25 (.479) NCAA Tournament record.
• The Vols are 1-0 in the First Four, 14-7 in first-round games, 7-9 in second-round games, 1-0 in (the very short-lived) third-round, 1-7 in regional semifinals, 0-1 in regional finals and 0-1 in the now-defunct regional consolation round.
• This is the program's fifth NCAA berth under eighth-year head coach Rick Barnes.
• Tennessee's 25 NCAA Tournament berths are fourth-most among SEC programs.
• Since 2010, among SEC programs, only Kentucky (31) and Florida (19) have won more NCAA Tournament games than Tennessee (10).

TENNESSEE AS A NO. 4 SEED

• Tennessee is competing as a No. 4 seed for the fourth time in program history. The Vols earned a No. 4 seed in 1981, 1999 and 2000.
• Tennessee went 1-1 as a No. 4 seed in 1981. After receiving a first-round bye, UT beat No. 5 seed VCU before falling to No. 1 seed Virginia in the round of 16.
• The Vols went 1-1 as the No. 4 seed in the 1999 East Regional in Charlotte. And in the 2000 South Regional in Birmingham, Tennessee beat Louisiana and UConn in Birmingham. The Vols then advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in Austin, Texas, where they lost to North Carolina, 74-69.

Notes say Vols lead the nation in 3 point defense. Based on what I saw in the SEC tourney, that Is fake news. We leave guys wide open

This is a game we should win if we show up. Not too worried about being upset tonight. Louisianas schedule is padded with soft teams and the good teams they played were blowout losses. I’d be much more worried if I was duke vs oral Roberts.

Reactions: Reckoner84
I don’t like this “STORYLINE” at all:

• Grad transfer Tyreke Key finally gets to experience March Madness after missing out during four stellar seasons at Indiana State, where he scored 1,650 points.

I don’t like this “STORYLINE” at all:

I dont mind it. It likely was a large reason for him joining. Also, if he wants his one and only experience to continue, he will have to contribute and play hard. It's why it's nice to have seniors on the floor in this situation. They can kick it to another level knowing this could be the last time they are on the court.

Reactions: Reckoner84
We have one of the largest spreads for a 4 seeded or worse team. I think the size and length of our team will cause Louisiana alot of fits and Vegas sees that as well.

I dont mind it. It likely was a large reason for him joining. Also, if he wants his one and only experience to continue, he will have to contribute and play hard. It's why it's nice to have seniors on the floor in this situation. They can kick it to another level knowing this could be the last time they are on the court.

I’d rather have a senior transfer that has already been on the big stage at least once. One reason that I think BJE might get closer to 5 minutes than just 1. BJE has as much NCAAT experience as Key has.

I’d rather have a senior transfer that has already been on the big stage at least once. One reason that I think BJE might get closer to 5 minutes than just 1. BJE has as much NCAAT experience as Key has.

Experience can obviously be overrated. I mean take this post of yours for example and you have over 40k posts. I will go with coach.

Surprised to see the ESPN BPI has TN at 95% chance of winning this game. I assumed it would be more in the 65%-75% range all things considere.

We get Kevin Harlan as the broadcaster so that’s a bonus win or lose.

VN Store

Back