The Official #3 Tennessee vs Virginia College World Series Game 1 Thread (SUNDAY AT 2PM EST)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
A20CA928-306A-44CD-B81F-0CEB488852D4.jpeg
OMAHA, Neb. – No. 2 Tennessee returns to the biggest stage in college baseball for the first time in 16 years this weekend, beginning its College World Series run Sunday at 2 p.m. ET against Virginia at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

The NCAA Tournament's No. 3 overall seed, the Vols (50-16) made it to Omaha by way of going a combined 5-0 in the Knoxville Regional and the Knoxville Super Regional.

Last weekend at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, in what was the first super regional UT had ever hosted, Tennessee tallied two wins over No. 14 LSU after having already previously swept the Tigers during the regular season.

COLLEGE WORLD SERIES SCHEDULE
Saturday, June 19
Game 1: Stanford vs. NC State | 2 p.m. ET | ESPN
Game 2: Vanderbilt vs. Arizona | 7 p.m. | ESPN

Sunday, June 20
Game 3: Tennessee vs. Virginia | 2 p.m. | ESPN2
Game 4: Texas vs. Mississippi State | 7 p.m. | ESPN2

Monday, June 21
Game 5: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser | 2 p.m. | ESPNU
Game 6: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN

Tuesday, June 22
Game 7: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 loser | 2 p.m. | ESPNU
Game 8: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN2

Wednesday, June 23
Game 9: 7 p.m. | ESPN

Thursday, June 24
Game 10: 7 p.m. | ESPN2

Friday, June 25
Game 11: 2 p.m. | ESPN2
Game 12: 7 p.m. | ESPN

Saturday, June 26
Game 13: 2 p.m. | ESPN (if necessary)
Game 14: 7 p.m. | ESPN2 (if necessary)

CWS Finals (Best-of-3 series)
Game 1: 7 p.m. | Monday, June 28 | ESPN2
Game 2: 7 p.m. | Tuesday, June 29 | ESPN
Game 3: 7 p.m. | Wednesday, June 30 | ESPN2 (if necessary)

BROADCAST INFO
TV/Stream: ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU

On call for Tennessee's College World Series opener will be Tom Hart (PxP), Chris Burke (Analyst), Ben McDonald (Analyst), Kris Budden (Sideline). The game will be televised on ESPN2.

Across ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, every pitch of the College World Series will be televised on an ESPN network. In addition to the broadcast crew for Tennessee's opening game against Virginia, Karl Ravech (PxP), Kyle Peterson (Analyst), Eduardo Perez (Analyst), Kris Budden (Sideline) will also call games from Omaha.

Fans can also listen to the official Vol Network radio broadcast from the Voice of Tennessee Baseball John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara on Sports Radio WNML (FM 99.1 / AM 990) as well as UTSports.com and the UT Gameday app.

COLLEGE WORLD SERIES HISTORY
Appearances: 5 (1951, 1995, 2001, 2005, 2021)

College World Series All-Time Record: 8-8
  • 1951: 4-2 (Runner-Up)
  • 1995: 2-2 (T-3rd Place)
  • 2001: 2-2 (T-3rd Place)
  • 2005: 0-2 (T-7th Place)
Tennessee is searching for just its second all-time win in the opening game of the College World Series, as the Vols are 1-3 all-time in College World Series openers.

NOTABLE
Vitello Named Coach of the Year
Tennessee head coach Tony Vitello was named the National Coach of the Year by the NCBWA and Perfect Game on Friday.

Vitello is just the second head coach in program history to earn National Coach of the Year honors, joining legendary Vols' skipper Rod Delmonico, who was named National Coach of the Year by Baseball America in 1995. Vitello has led the Vols to 50 wins this year, their most since winning a program-record 54 during the 1995 season. It marks just the third time in program history that the Vols have reached the 50-win mark.

Sunday's matchup will pit two NCBWA Coaches of the Year against one another, as Vitello will oppose Virginia's Brian O'Connor, who won the award in 2009.

Four Vols Earn All-America Honors
Third baseman Jake Rucker, shortstop Liam Spence and pitchers Chad Dallas and Sean Hunley have all garnered All-America honors in the past week following the Vols punching their ticket to Omaha. UT's four All-Americans are tied for the most in a single-season in program history, matching the record set back in 1994.

Rucker, who was named Third Team All-American by both Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball News, has put together his best season as a Vol in 2021. Entering the College World Series, Rucker leads the team and ranks 11th in the nation in hits (88), ranks second on the team in batting average (.331) and is third on the team in RBI (55).

Named a ABCA/Rawlings Third Team All-American, Spence established himself as Tennessee's most reliable hitter for much of the season. The team leader in batting average (.339), Spence has 80 hits this season and an SEC-leading .477 on-base percentage. He also leads the team with 63 runs scored and has drawn 53 walks this year—fifth most in the nation.

A second team All-America selection by ABCA/Rawlings and a third team selection by the NCBWA, Dallas has started 16 games for the Vols and has posted an 11-1 record in the process. The Orange, Texas, native has recorded 118 strikeouts—eighth most in a single season in program history. Dallas' 11 wins are the most by any Tennessee pitcher since 2005 and he's currently tied for sixth in program history in single-season victories.

Hunley was named second team All-America by Baseball America. He ranks fourth all-time at Tennessee with a 2.56 ERA and is tied for fourth in program history with 13 saves. His nine saves this season are tied for fifth in program history and his 33 appearances are the most in a single season in program history.

Dynamic Duo on the Mound
Earning his 10th victory of the season during the Vols' super regional win on Sunday win over LSU, Blade Tidwell became Tennessee's second pitcher to reach double-digit wins this season, joining Dallas (11 wins).

It marks the third time in program history and first time since 2005 that the Vols have two pitchers with 10 or more wins. In 2005, Luke Hochevar (15) and James Adkins (10) both reached double digit wins, while in 1995, R.A. Dickey (14) and Ryan Meyers (10) accomplished the feat.

Hitting Bombs
Tennessee's 98 home runs this season are its second most ever in a single season (107 in 1998) and rank fourth in the nation. The Vols have hit 16 home runs during their five NCAA Tournament games.

With Rucker's two-home run performance this past Sunday against LSU, seven different Tennessee players now have at least one game of multiple jacks this season. The Vols have 11 total occurrences of one player hitting multiple home runs in a single game this season.

UP NEXT
Tennessee will play again on Tuesday, June 21 at either 2 p.m. or 7 p.m. ET against either Mississippi State or Texas, depending on the results of Sunday's games. For the most up-to-date information on the 2021 College World Series, click HERE.

Last edited:
I will be glued to the TV for that series.
Turns out that my youngest daughter's softball team is not going to have enough players to play in the softball tournament that was scheduled this weekend. Looks like I will have to be swimming, drinking, and watching college baseball instead. Oh darn.

Not to nit pick, but the date on your graphic is wrong

E34OX6EXoAo1tYQ

Turns out that my youngest daughter's softball team is not going to have enough players to play in the softball tournament that was scheduled this weekend. Looks like I will have to be swimming, drinking, and watching college baseball instead. Oh darn.
youre lucky. My daughters lacrosse team has plenty enough players.
so I will be in

SOUTH CAROLINA
ON FATHERS DAYS
NOT WATCH MY VOLD

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
youre lucky. My daughters lacrosse team has plenty enough players.
so I will be in

SOUTH CAROLINA
ON FATHERS DAYS
NOT WATCH MY VOLD
Kids are the priority. I missed the first half of Saturday’s LSU game because of a tournament

I know next to nothing about UVA. Anyone care to preview them? How do we match up? What kind of pitching do they have?

Found this on the internet..

Saturday, June 19
Game 1: Stanford vs. NC State, 1 p.m., ESPN
Game 2: Vanderbilt vs. Arizona, 6 p.m., ESPN
Sunday, June 20
Game 3: Tennessee vs. Virginia, 1 p.m., ESPN2
Game 4: Texas vs. Mississippi State, 6 p.m., ESPN2
Monday, June 21
Game 5: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser, 1 p.m., ESPNU
Game 6: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner, 6 p.m., ESPN
Tuesday, June 22
Game 7: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 loser, 1 p.m., ESPNU
Game 8: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner, 6 p.m., ESPN2
Wednesday, June 23
Game 9: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 loser, 6 p.m., ESPN
Thursday, June 24
Game 10: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 loser, 6 p.m., ESPN2
Friday, June 25
Game 11: Game 6 winner vs. Game 9 winner, 1 p.m., ESPN2
Game 12: Game 8 winner vs. Game 10 winner, 6 p.m., ESPN
Saturday, June 26
Game 13: Game 11 winner vs. Game 11 loser, 1 p.m., ESPN (if necessary)
Game 14: Game 12 winner vs. Game 12 loser, 6 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)
Monday, June 28
Game 1: Bracket One winner vs. Bracket Two winner, 6 p.m., ESPN2
Tuesday, June 29
Game 2: Bracket One winner vs. Bracket Two winner, 6 p.m., ESPN
Wednesday, June 30
Game 3: (if necessary) Bracket One winner vs. Bracket Two winner, 6 p.m., ESPN2

I know next to nothing about UVA. Anyone care to preview them? How do we match up? What kind of pitching do they have?

I read several previews today. The UVA Coach is from Omaha and will have hometown support. They are solid regards pitching. The farther we or they go in the Championship journey, the tougher the competition, at least luckier if not better. They have lost a few first games and came roaring back. Dallas Baptist had them down 2-1 and UVA accomplished a grand slam that was enough to win it for them. We can beat them if we play like we are capable of playing. Go Vols. ....
Brian Patrick O'Connor (born April 20, 1971) is the head baseball coach of the Virginia Cavaliers. Previously serving as an Associate Head Coach at Notre Dame, he was hired on July 8, 2003, to replace the retiring Dennis Womack (who moved on to assistant athletic director of facilities management and operations). O'Connor has taken the Virginia baseball team to fourteen NCAA baseball tournaments during his 15 seasons in Charlottesville, including the 2009 College World Series, the first in school history; the 2011 College World Series, as the No. 1 national seed; the 2014 College World Series, as the No. 3 national seed; and the 2015 College World Series, which they won and became National Champions for the first time in school history.[1]
O'Connor is a native of Omaha, where the College World Series is held each year.

14 CWS in15 years andsolid pitching mst be respected. How did they fare against the Carolina gang?

Above line is incoorect. Poster wrote 14 NCCA tournaments. not 14 CWS. Poor work on my part.

Last edited:
I read several previews today. The UVA Coach is from Omaha and will have hometown support. They are solid regards pitching. The farther we or they go in the Championship journey, the tougher the competition, at least luckier if not better. They have lost a few first games and came roaring back. Dallas Baptist had them down 2-1 and UVA accomplished a grand slam that was enough to win it for them. We can beat them if we play like we are capable of playing. Go Vols. ....
Brian Patrick O'Connor (born April 20, 1971) is the head baseball coach of the Virginia Cavaliers. Previously serving as an Associate Head Coach at Notre Dame, he was hired on July 8, 2003, to replace the retiring Dennis Womack (who moved on to assistant athletic director of facilities management and operations). O'Connor has taken the Virginia baseball team to fourteen NCAA baseball tournaments during his 15 seasons in Charlottesville, including the 2009 College World Series, the first in school history; the 2011 College World Series, as the No. 1 national seed; the 2014 College World Series, as the No. 3 national seed; and the 2015 College World Series, which they won and became National Champions for the first time in school history.[1]
O'Connor is a native of Omaha, where the College World Series is held each year.
Much appreciated. Thank you!

Does it give Virginia any kind of mental edge having won the National Championship back in 2015?

VN Store

Back