The Official #3 Tennessee vs. Georgia Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

I'm torn between the two. I can't pick which is a better coach.....for me, maybe a tie at this point.

Its hard not to love Pearl. He's fun, loves UTbasketball, and took UT to new heights. Still, from a coaching standpoint, Barnes could do laps around him imo. Without incredible depth, his style is not desirable in a tournament setting. Good guard play would deal with his press and his flex was frustrating in a half court game. I think Barnes is a tremendous X and O guy. His style is more balanced. I'm biased though because I've loved Barnes before I knew who Bruce pearl was

Clappy the Clown. Dude gets on another level

Attachments

• B764NcdIQAEi957.jpg
    B764NcdIQAEi957.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
Wildcat fans kill me. Before UNC, they thought they were a bubble team. After UNC and UL, final four again. Today...were back to NIT talk. First SEC road game for a lot of them. They are really talented and will get better but I'll enjoy watching Kentucky fans cry for now

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Wildcat fans kill me. Before UNC, they thought they were a bubble team. After UNC and UL, final four again. Today...were back to NIT talk. First SEC road game for a lot of them. They are really talented and will get better but I'll enjoy watching Kentucky fans cry for now

Yeah....but that sounds like UT football fans.

Before Auburn, we were going 3-9. After Auburn, we were going 8-4. After SC, we were going 4-8. After UK, we were going 7-5. And then after Mizzou, Vandy would kill us.....ok well that last one happened.

The KY team I watched beat NC was very good. That grad transfer from Stanford played very well that game.
I bet he has a tough time fighting for position against GW and AS. Looks like he plays a position game and our guys should be able to muscle him off the post

Its hard not to love Pearl. He's fun, loves UTbasketball, and took UT to new heights. Still, from a coaching standpoint, Barnes could do laps around him imo. Without incredible depth, his style is not desirable in a tournament setting. Good guard play would deal with his press and his flex was frustrating in a half court game. I think Barnes is a tremendous X and O guy. His style is more balanced. I'm biased though because I've loved Barnes before I knew who Bruce pearl was

That 2008 team was special. They went 14-2 in SEC play and won the SEC championship outright. However, they were one of the most stressful teams to watch in basketball history. They were always out of control in transition, had difficulty getting open in the half-court offense, and gambled way too much defensively. Commercial breaks were always a breath of fresh air, as I was always on the edge of my seat watching them. Pearl liked his teams to play in complete chaos, and it worked, but it sure was stressful.

I've been watching UT basketball since the Jerry Green days, and this year, we have the best passing UT team I've ever seen. I was at the TTU game last weekend, and my dad and I were so impressed with the crisp ball movement. We have amazing offensive chemistry. I have also seen big improvements in this team's defensive effort when compared to earlier this season. Earlier in the season, Barnes said they were going to work on defense, and it has shown. I sure hope this team keeps improving every week. The 2008 team peaked after beating Memphis, and the rest of the season was a big disappointment. I sure hope this team will be a team we will be talking about for decades. It has that kind of feel, so far.

That 2008 team was special. They went 14-2 in SEC play and won the SEC championship outright. However, they were one of the most stressful teams to watch in basketball history. They were always out of control in transition, had difficulty getting open in the half-court offense, and gambled way too much defensively. Commercial breaks were always a breath of fresh air, as I was always on the edge of my seat watching them. Pearl liked his teams to play in complete chaos, and it worked, but it sure was stressful.

I've been watching UT basketball since the Jerry Green days, and this year, we have the best passing UT team I've ever seen. I was at the TTU game last weekend, and my dad and I were so impressed with the crisp ball movement. We have amazing offensive chemistry. I have also seen big improvements in this team's defensive effort when compared to earlier this season. Earlier in the season, Barnes said they were going to work on defense, and it has shown. I sure hope this team keeps improving every week. The 2008 team peaked after beating Memphis, and the rest of the season was a big disappointment. I sure hope this team will be a team we will be talking about for decades. It has that kind of feel, so far.

They also greatly underachieved in the postseason. It wasn't a great matchup with Louisivlle, but that game was pretty bad.

Remember couple years back when Barnes would not let him shoot threes?

That's sort of a faint memory now. I think the key here is that people remember what happens last. If you remember Schofield was immature two years ago as well and in the doghouse. He ain't no mo.

GBO

Reactions: twoffo
Austin Peay gave Arky a tough game until late. No way they hang with the Vols IMO
You can’t put too much weight in a single game result though. Northeastern is 7-8 and they beat Alabama. No doubt UT is considerably better than Arkansas and we get them here so I agree we should rout them but we will likely lose a game somewhere that we shouldn’t. This is going to be a great year though. I was thinking about 7 regular season losses coming into the season but right now I would say more like 4. Of course March is what matters though.

What was great was not worrying if we would be in foul trouble. None of our guys seemed close to fouling out and got to play most of the game.

They also greatly underachieved in the postseason. It wasn't a great matchup with Louisivlle, but that game was pretty bad.

Yes, their SEC Tournament showing was very poor as well. It was just a disappointing performance all around after that Memphis game.

Loved Pearl and if you need to win just 1 game as an underdog there is nobody I'd rather have, however Barnes is what we have and needed. Thank you coach Barnes for awesome basketball and giving Vol fans delight.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Maybe you are bias but you are also accurate. We are a much more fundamentally sound team today than we were back then under Pearl. Pearl is the perfect coach to have while you’re in college because he is so engaging with the fans and students but Barnes is the perfect coach to have after you’ve graduated and realize it’s time to get serious and get to work. Both have their time and place but I much prefer Barnes as his model is more likely to yield sustained success. Plus this team doesn’t appear to have a weakness so there’s no such thing as a bad matchup except from our opponent’s perspective.

VN Store

Back