The Official #3 Tennessee vs. Alabama Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#3 Tennessee Volunteers: 15-1 (4-0 SEC)

5c3e9d136f75d.image.jpg

vs.

Alabama Crimson Tide: 11-5 (2-2 SEC)

AlabamaMissouriBasketball.JPG

GAME 17 | TENNESSEE vs. ALABAMA - Jan. 19, 2019 | 2:05 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -13.5
O/U: 154.5

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 134, XM: 190
Online: WatchESPN.com

17_Alabama.jpg

THE SERIES

Tennessee trails the all-time series with Alabama, 68-79, dating to 1914.

The Vols have an 46-22 edge when the series is played in Knoxville.

Tennessee has never been ranked higher than No. 4 in the AP poll (2001) for a clash against Alabama.

A WIN WOULD...

Extend Tennessee's win streak to 12 games. The Vols' last 12-game win streak came during the 1976-77 campaign, when UT reeled off 12 straight victories from Dec. 11 through Jan. 30.

Stretch the Vols' home win streak to 19 games, dating to last season (this is the longest home win streak of the Barnes era).

Give the Vols a nine-game win streak in regular-season SEC games.

STORYLINES

The Volunteers are receiving 13 first-place votes in this week's AP Top 25 poll.

Tennessee's SEC margin of victory through four league games stands at a robust 25 points.

This is Rick Barnes' longest win streak since he led Texas to a 17-0 record to open the 2009-10 season.

Tennessee is off to its best 16-game start since also starting the season 15-1 in 2007-08.

The Vols have shot 50 percent or better in 13 games this season (and 10 of their last 11).

Tennessee has yet to face a double-digit deficit this season.

Six Vols currently average more than 10 points per game.

With an average attendance of 17,677, Tennessee ranks fourth nationally.

Junior point guard Jordan Bone totaled 124 assists in 35 games last season. He's got 101 assists through 16 games this year.

LAYUPS

Grant Williams leads the SEC in scoring (18.8 ppg), ranks second in field-goal percentage (.571), seventh in assists (3.9 apg) and seventh in rebounding (7.8 rpg).

Admiral Schofield is the SEC's second-leading scorer (17.7 ppg), and is shooting .462 from 3-point range.

Williams and Schofield both earned a spot on the 25-man Wooden Award Midseason Watch List.

Kyle Alexander is the SEC's second-leading rebounder during conference play, as he averages 10.3 rebounds per game.

Jordan Bowden leads the Vols and ranks third in the SEC with 19.0 points per game during league play. And he's doing it off the bench.

Junior guard Lamonté Turner, last season's SEC Co-Sixth Man of the Year, returned from a left shoulder injury just in time for SEC play. He's averaging 12.0 points per game against league opponents.

ABOUT ALABAMA

Alabama (11-5, 2-2 SEC) has played well thus far in Avery Johnson's fourth year at the helm of the program. In conference play, UA boast wins over Kentucky and Missouri. During the non-conference slate, the Crimson Tide picked up victories against Arizona, Murray State, Penn State, Stephen F. Austin and Wichita State.

Freshman guard Kira Lewis Jr. is a key part of the Tide's offense, leading them in scoring (14.4 ppg) and assists (2.8 apg). Lewis (26 3FG) is one of three players on the team who have more than 20 3-pointers on the season, joining John Petty (31) and Tevin Mack (23).

Petty (10.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.7 apg) is one of the SEC's most dangerous scorers. Last year, he had 14 points and three 3-pointers to help the Crimson Tide hand the Vols their worst loss of the season.

Donta Hall (11.1 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.1 bpg) also had his way with Tennessee last season, posting 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting, 11 rebounds, three blocks and two steals. This season, he's one of the most physical post players UT will face. He has eight double-doubles in 16 games, including three during SEC play.

Like Petty, Mack (9.3 ppg) is also a great 3-point shooter that can catch fire at any moment. Against Kentucky, he dropped 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting and six 3-pointers to fuel the Crimson Tide's upset win.

13.5? I think Vegas keeps thinking we’re going to have a let down. Which is possible. But even if we do, I think we should win by a comparable margin. The only other way it’s closer is if Bama somehow gets friendly refs on the road.. they score a lot from the line.

13.5? I think Vegas keeps thinking we’re going to have a let down. Which is possible. But even if we do, I think we should win by a comparable margin. The only other way it’s closer is if Bama somehow gets friendly refs on the road.. they score a lot from the line.
I think it will be a hard-fought, closer game than we might believe. For my own personal sanity, I hope we win by 40.

I think it will be a hard-fought, closer game than we might believe. For my own personal sanity, I hope we win by 40.
The Vols clearly haven’t forgetten last year. Barnes showed them video of the Mizzou game before we steamrolled them. If we respond similarly to Bama, after last year, we might win this one by 40... realistically I think we win by at least 16

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Reading the Alabama boards, there's growing dissatisfaction with Avery Johnson. In particular, the GA Southern loss still resonates, even with the big KY win. The main gripe being AJ doesn't value defense because he's still in the NBA-mode (that didn't seem to be an issue when they boat-raced us last year).

VN Store

Back