The Official #25 Tennessee @ Auburn Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, ESPN

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#25 Tennessee Volunteers: 16-6 (9-6 SEC)

EvC1dJrXcAE8j5Q

@

Auburn Tigers: 11-13 (5-10 SEC)

UF-2-23-21-6.jpg

GAME 23 | TENNESSEE at AUBURN - Feb. 27, 2021 | 12:01 p.m. ET / 11:01 a.m. CT | Auburn Arena

Line: UT -7.5
O/U: 144.5

TV: ESPN / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 137 / XM: 191 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN app

Auburn Game Notes

EvLFwkeXIAo0C2H

THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Auburn, 78-43, dating to 1927.
• The Tigers hold a 29-23 advantage when the series is contested in Auburn. The Vols have lost their last two games at Auburn Arena.
• Saturday marks the only regular-season meeting between the Vols and Tigers.
• In SEC play, Auburn boasts the third-highest scoring offense in the league (79.5 ppg), while the Vols own the league's second-best scoring defense (66.5 ppg).

LAYUP LINES

• Victor Bailey Jr. has scored 68 points over the last three games (22.6 ppg) and has made 16 total 3-pointers during that span.
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons is one of 10 finalists for the Naismith Men's National Defensive Player of the Year, it was announced Thursday.
• Sophomore Josiah-Jordan James returned to play 28 minutes Wednesday at Vanderbilt after a two-game injury absence (wrist).
• The true freshman duo of Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer have accounted for 42.3 percent of Tennessee's scoring over the last six games.
• Springer has scored 20 or more points in four of the last six games.
• Tennessee is the only team in the SEC with three players who have scored 27 or more points in a game this season—Jaden Springer (30), Victor Bailey Jr. (29) and Keon Johnson (27).

DEFENSE WINS

• According to KenPom, the Vols rank third in the NCAA in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 88.1 points per 100 possessions. College teams typically average close to 70 possessions per game.
• Tennessee ranks 20th in the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 62.5 points per game.
• The Vols are forcing 15.8 turnovers per game and converting those turnovers into 17.5 points per game.
• Tennessee has forced 16 of 22 opponents to turn the ball over on 20 percent or more of their possessions. The Vols are forcing opponents to turn it over 23.0 percent of the time this season.
• In SEC play, Tennessee has led the league in turnover margin all season (currently +2.8 per game).
• Only once this season has a Tennessee opponent scored 80 or more points. That was Georgia, in a game the Vols won, 89-81, on Feb. 10.

ABOUT AUBURN

• Entering the 2020-21 season, Auburn self-imposed a postseason ban, meaning that the Tigers' matchups with the Vols on Saturday and Alabama on Tuesday will conclude their season.
• Despite the early postseason decision, Auburn has felt very few effects from COVID-19, having just one game postponed/canceled. Through 24 games, the Tigers hold an 11-13 overall record and a mark of 5-10 in conference play. Heading into Saturday's matchup, Auburn has dropped its last three games, falling to Kentucky (82-80), LSU (104-80) and Florida (74-57).
• A bright spot for the Tigers has been the emergence of freshman standout, Sharife Cooper. In just 12 appearances, Cooper is averaging a team-leading 20.2 points and 8.1 assists. While he ranks third on the team in total points with 242, he already leads the team in total assists with 97 helpers.
• Outside of Cooper, the do-it-all guy for Auburn this season has been Allen Flanigan. Flanigan currently ranks second on the team in scoring (13.9 ppg) and assists (3.0 apg) and first in rebounding (5.4 rpg) and steals (1.0 spg). He ranks 17th in the SEC in scoring, while his rebounding average sits just outside the conference's top 20.
• Sophomore Jaylin Williams has been the Tigers' leader in the frontcourt, ranking third on the team in scoring (10.7 ppg) and second in rebounding with 4.9 boards per contest, while starting in all 24 games and playing an average of 26.1 minutes.
• Auburn's colors of orange and blue were chosen by its first head football coach, Dr. George Petrie. He chose the colors based on those of his own alma mater, the University of Virginia. Dr. Petrie became the first Alabamian to earn a Ph.D. degree and held a number of roles at Auburn before organizing the football team in 1892.

It's not a legit must win.....but Barnes needs to win this one for many, many reasons. Auburn has owned him lately and they suck this year. So for that reason alone it needs to be a W, but also we need to start playing consistent good basketball and it needs to start yesterday. I'm going to be very, very disappointed if we lay an egg today.

It's just not acceptable.

Reactions: feathersax
It's not a legit must win.....but Barnes needs to win this one for many, many reasons. Auburn has owned him lately and they suck this year. So for that reason alone it needs to be a W, but also we need to start playing consistent good basketball and it needs to start yesterday. I'm going to be very, very disappointed if we lay an egg today.

It's just not acceptable.
Oh no....what will Barnes and the team do if they end up disappointing you?

Oh the horror!!

Reactions: JohnD13
Go Vols! We seem to play more inspired in the road. We could use a win on the road going into the tourney. Limit turnovers and easy points for Auburn. Guard their three point shooters. Keep Pons and Fulkerson out of foul trouble, make shots, and fire up the freshmen. VOLS win!

Reactions: feathersax
I would love to be wrong but my confidence in this team has dwindled over the last few weeks. The team is just not hitting on all cylinders, maybe 6 out of 8. Add to this that Bruce tends to own Coach Barnes (I hate it when cheaters succeed) and we struggle with this type of team anyways. It makes me ill to saynthis but the streak extends to 6.

I never feel good about an upcoming game anymore. Our ability to beat anyone and simultaneously lose to anyone makes for a stressful GameDay lol. Auburn isn’t a great team this year but they are more athletic than we are which has been our Achilles heel this year. I expect this one to be close and ugly. If auburn shoots as poorly as they have from 3 this year, I’d like our chances. But if they get hot from 3, like every team we play, it’ll be a long day.

I don’t think people realize just how bad Auburn is without Cooper. They aren’t even good with him, but they’re probably the worst team in the SEC without him. I think the “Pearl owns Barnes” narrative gets laid to rest today. We win, and cover.

I don’t think people realize just how bad Auburn is without Cooper. They aren’t even good with him, but they’re probably the worst team in the SEC without him. I think the “Pearl owns Barnes” narrative gets laid to rest today. We win, and cover.
Is it really laid to rest if they are missing a key piece during a down year though? We need the win regardless of whose on the floor today though, so I’ll take the help.

Is it really laid to rest if they are missing a key piece during a down year though? We need the win regardless of whose on the floor today though, so I’ll take the help.
Half the regular posters here seem to think Pearl can roll any team on the court and beat Barnes, so yes, IMO. It isn’t Barnes’s fault that Auburn has been so bad this year.

Which would mean a loss today would likely cement the narrative. We need to win.

Well, we do have Pons and Fulky not at 100%. Team has been looking wilted for a while. Now we face a quick turn around to face a nemesis...on the road. Wonder how into it we'll be today. If history is any indication, I suspect we're going to see a very lethargic effort. Will it be enough? We'll see. The one thing I'm hopeful about is that Bailey will be on today. If he is and either one of our super frosh are ready to play today, that might be enough.

Auburn will definitely cover. Auburn will probably win outright.

Bruce will be fired within next couple of years because he can't follow the NCAA rules. However, he is an outstanding coach. Our Vols are easy to defend. Muscle Fulky. Let Pons fire away. Let the diaper dandies get their 40 points, but shut everyone else down. Vols will be lucky to reach the 60 point mark.

When Auburn is on offense, attack Santi every time he's on the court.

If Bailey can score 16-20 points, then we have a shot. But, it will be a tight squeeze. My guess is that Vols will phone this one in...

VN Store

Back