The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

@n_huffhines What was that rubric you were talking about once that had 3 criteria for national team soccer dominance? Wasn't it wealth, population, and soccer history/tradition?

If that's what it was, the US only lacks that last one. How long does it take to build history? When would you say the US truly started building towards a history? It seems like it has been all fits and starts since 1990.
IIRC, isn’t this idea from the Soccernomics book?

A lot of it holds true for most of the world, but IMO the US exists outside of this to some extent. Wealth only helps if you put that money to good use by way of investing in good facilities, coaching and other things that maximize player development. We’ve gotten better at that in the past ten years or so, but still have miles to go to get on par with the rest of the world.

Population is a tricky one too. Sure we have the sheer numbers, but unlike the majority of the globe, the cream of our athletic talent generally doesn’t end up playing soccer. When you’re basically taking the leftovers who for whatever reason couldn’t make it in football, basketball or baseball it’s difficult to truly realize the potential of that massive population, and also makes getting the player development part even more crucial.

As for history, considering that we’ve won exactly ONE game in the knockout stage of the WC in the entire history of the MNT, there’s a decent argument to be made that we have yet to even start, at least on a global level.

A lot of it holds true for most of the world, but IMO the US exists outside of this to some extent. Wealth only helps if you put that money to good use by way of investing in good facilities, coaching and other things that maximize player development. We’ve gotten better at that in the past ten years or so, but still have miles to go to get on par with the rest of the world.

Population is a tricky one too. Sure we have the sheer numbers, but unlike the majority of the globe, the cream of our athletic talent generally doesn’t end up playing soccer. When you’re basically taking the leftovers who for whatever reason couldn’t make it in football, basketball or baseball it’s difficult to truly realize the potential of that massive population, and also makes getting the player development part even more crucial.

As for history, considering that we’ve won exactly ONE game in the knockout stage of the WC in the entire history of the MNT, there’s a decent argument to be made that we have yet to even start, at least on a global level.
That's it. I searched some old posts and couldn't find it. But it is from Soccernomics, couldn't put my finger on it.

The trouble is the casual fans who come around every four years (or whenever we manage to qualify for the WC) and think it’s our birthright to dominate at everything, simply because…’Murica.

XpChdb3.gif

My man

@n_huffhines What was that rubric you were talking about once that had 3 criteria for national team soccer dominance? Wasn't it wealth, population, and soccer history/tradition?

If that's what it was, the US only lacks that last one. How long does it take to build history? When would you say the US truly started building towards a history? It seems like it has been all fits and starts since 1990.

So we have tons of $ and population, but it's not about simply having a little history, it's about what the history represents and there are levels. Sure we have 25 years of history caring about soccer to some degree, but Germany tagged on another 25 years too, and they care way more about that history than we do. We're casual about it. AYSO numbers are up? OK, cool. Our best athletes are sticking with football and hoops. A strong history is an indicator that most of the best athletes will go into soccer and that significant resources are put into that youth development. We have some of that, but we are nowhere near the level that the powerhouses are.

Think of history like it's an indicator of how much of our population dedicates itself to soccer and how much of our $ will be dedicated to soccer. We're not doing big things in either regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Just a friendly reminder that in a less corrupt world this would be kicking off in the coming week. Instead we get nothing of consequence all summer, have to wait 5 1/2 more months and it’s going to wreck the club season for all the European leagues. Thanks FIFA.

I almost brought this up during the Wales match, still makes my blood boil.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
They announced the 2026 sites also. I live in the Northeast and have quite a few in a couple hour train ride or a short drive. Work can expect me to be absent for a few weeks.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Think I saw that the new US World Cup kits will be debuted tomorrow. Really hope they don’t **** them up 😂

A few tidbits since Autumn is nearly upon us...

1. EPL has games scheduled through November 13.
2. The call-up period for the World Cup starts on November 14.
3. LAFC leads the MLS western conference (hi Gareth Bale).
4. MLS playoffs run up to the final on November 5 (hi Gareth Bale?).
5. USA and Wales play on November 21 (hi Gareth Bale).

It's really weird having a World Cup in November. If I was managing any team in the world I'd have ulcers watching fall club fixtures. I wonder if various players start picking up unspecific little knocks in mid-late October.

VN Store

Back