The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

Unpopular opinion in the soccer world incoming: I’d rather watch Finals be decided in an extra time “golden goal” or “sudden death” situation than penalties.
Yep. I’d keep penalties up until the final and then just play golden goal after the second period. Give each team additional subs for every period and end it on the field

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Unpopular opinion in the soccer world incoming: I’d rather watch Finals be decided in an extra time “golden goal” or “sudden death” situation than penalties.
On one hand I agree that it’s better to see the match decided in open play.

On the other, Golden Goal was proven to cause teams to be more timid and defensive because of fear of getting hit on the counter and losing, and that’s why it’s time was short lived. You can only expect guys to play for so long without starting to rack up injuries, and the longer the game goes the more likely you are to just see the Final decided by a mental mistake (likely a tired foul in the box, where the match is STILL decided on a PK) or some sort of fatigue injury than you are to ever see some moment of brilliance.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Wow, what a WC Final match, congratulations to Messi, I guess he has won everything, now. I remember the first time I ever saw him play. He came in as sub for Argentina in World Cup game, at 17, I believe. Longed haired, snaggled tooth kid, but the announcers made sure I knew he was a soccer prodigy and I made note. Glad I did, he's the GOAT of my lifetime, too young to see Pele play live, tho

On one hand I agree that it’s better to see the match decided in open play.

On the other, Golden Goal was proven to cause teams to be more timid and defensive because of fear of getting hit on the counter and losing, and that’s why it’s time was short lived. You can only expect guys to play for so long without starting to rack up injuries, and the longer the game goes the more likely you are to just see the Final decided by a mental mistake (likely a tired foul in the box, where the match is STILL decided on a PK) or some sort of fatigue injury than you are to ever see some moment of brilliance.

It’s a mixed bag both ways for sure. I have walked back my opinion on PKs that I used to have about it being a coin flip. There’s too much strategy and dark arts to be a coin flip. I just wish we could see it decided on the pitch in regular play. Maybe once it gets to extra time you get unlimited subs and prior players that came off can come back on? I don’t love that idea but I have to just accept that I won’t fully love any idea. Is what it is I guess.

It’s a mixed bag both ways for sure. I have walked back my opinion on PKs that I used to have about it being a coin flip. There’s too much strategy and dark arts to be a coin flip. I just wish we could see it decided on the pitch in regular play. Maybe once it gets to extra time you get unlimited subs and prior players that came off can come back on? I don’t love that idea but I have to just accept that I won’t fully love any idea. Is what it is I guess.
I’ve heard people suggest to have the penalty shootout prior to the start of extra time. That solves the problem of both teams playing for penalties and knocking it around for 30 minutes, but just imagine the team that goes into extra time of the WC final knowing all they have to do is not concede. The type of gameplay that would result wouldn’t resemble normal open play in any form. You would have one team committing every player forward and the other parking the bus harder than it has ever been parked.

Like you basically said, there aren’t any perfect solutions.

VN Store

Back