The Official #17 Tennessee vs. #5 Villanova Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, ESPN News

A lot of it is orange colored nostalgia. Basketball was fun under Pearl but here he had a lot of the same problems Barnes had, his teams didn't show up in the postseason. His Elite 8 team was actually a surprise considering that SECT we got curb stomped by Kentucky. People don't seem to remember there was a TON of complaining about Pearl not winning in the postseason and wondering if he had peaked before he had the unexpected E8 run.

The funny thing about that 31-5 team that was maybe the best team ever at UT was people rememer that Memphis game but not how badly the season ended, and by people that don't seem to realize that a regular season game does't mean more than a Sweet 16 game.

While we're going down the list of Bruce Pearl's Greatest Hits, let's not forget blowing a 20 point halftime lead to tOSU in the Sweet 16, or getting absolutely humiliated in his final game in the first round of the NCAAT by Michigan.

Reactions: papatomany
I’ll never blame a loss on a ref and screw the loss it's early but....The tone was set by the refs when they called that BS charge on ORN when he dunked it left handed and the nova guys was sliding right. But then the refs doubled down by calling another charge on Vescovi when the defender was clearly on the line for NO Charge. But what bugged me the most is #30, #10 and #12 for UT. They gotta get better and have been here a good minute

I’ll never blame a loss on a ref and screw the loss it's early but....The tone was set by the refs when they called that BS charge on ORN when he dunked it left handed and the nova guys was sliding right. But then the refs doubled down by calling another charge on Vescovi when the defender was clearly on the line for NO Charge.

We lost by a truckload and it's the refs fault? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

The awful charge calls impacted the first half. It changed the way the team played. Second half was somewhat better, but your not coming back down 20 against Nova. One thing, this team isn’t like the 18-19 team where they have been together for 3 years. This team will have growing pains and today was one of them.

Nkamhoua follows up his career high with zero.

Not a good effort by the upperclassmen leadership. Bailey quits after getting his shot blocked. Did he return after that? At least somebody gave a lot of effort to prevent an easy two (he fouled, but at least he didn’t give up) by the defender that blocked the 3-point shot… was that JJJ?

Three starters are 2-19.

14 first half TOs.

Barnes suggested that Purdue is the best team in the country. I’ll take UNC please.

Nkamhoua follows up his career high with zero.

Not a good effort by them upperclassmen leadership. Bailey quits after getting his shot blocked. Did he return after that? At least somebody gave a lot of effort to prevent an easy two by the defender with the block… was that JJJ?

Three starters are 2-19.

14 first half TOs.

Barnes suggested that Purdue is the best team in the country. I’ll take UNC please.
No

Yes, I read you perfectly, another sports official basher with no officiating experience.
I started with “I’ll never blame a ref for a loss” and finished with #10, #30 and #12 for UT has to get better. What are you focused on?

I’ll never blame a loss on a ref and screw the loss it's early but....The tone was set by the refs when they called that BS charge on ORN when he dunked it left handed and the nova guys was sliding right. But then the refs doubled down by calling another charge on Vescovi when the defender was clearly on the line for NO Charge. But what bugged me the most is #30, #10 and #12 for UT. They gotta get better and have been here a good minute

If one bad/questionable call early in a game causes this entire UT team to tuck their tail between their legs and get blasted by 20, then this is most mentally fragile team ever and we won't even finish in the top half of the SEC. Let alone have any kind of tourney success.

That is such a soft take.

Reactions: HarsinVol
If one bad/questionable call early in a game causes this entire UT team to tuck their tail between their legs and get blasted by 20, then this is most mentally fragile team ever and we won't even finish in the top half of the SEC. Let alone have any kind of tourney success.

That pretty much sums it up, thanks.

2 horrible calls and setting a tone is way different than the team tucking tail. But please feel free to overreact to an early loss. It just adds to our fan base’s knowledge of bball

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
The tone of the game was set by a streaky shooting back court and an average at best front. Bright side is there are 28 games to get better.

VN Store

Back