The Official #15 Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech Game Thread, 3:00 PM ET, SEC Network+

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#15 Tennessee Volunteers: 3-1 (0-0 SEC)

usa_today_17208415.0.jpg

vs.

Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles: 2-3 (0-0 OVC)

FE_rcqqXMAQf6-z

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE vs. TENNESSEE TECH - Friday, Nov. 26, 2021 | 3:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -23.5
O/U: 140.5

TV: SEC Network+ / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: TBD / XM: 384 / Internet: 974
Online: WatchESPN app

FE5wa2SWQAc-PHE

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series against Tennessee Tech 25-1, dating to 1939. All but one of those meetings took place in Knoxville. The Vols beat TTU in an NIT game in Cookeville in 1985.
• Tech's lone win against UT came on Dec. 4, 1996.
• Tennessee owns a 62-2 record against current members of the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Vols head coach Rick Barnes is 3-0 in his career against Tennessee Tech (all three meetings coming during his tenure on Rocky Top). Barnes is 7-0 as a head coach against OVC opposition.
• Tennessee Tech sophomore CJ Gettelfinger is a Knoxville native who graduated from Grace Christian Academy.
• Golden Eagles junior Jr. Clay hails from Chattanooga, where he attended The McCallie School.

SCOUTING REPORT

• UT's backcourt duo of Kennedy Chandler and Santiago Vescovi is averaging 30.1 points, 9.5 rebounds and 7.0 assists per game while shooting .458 from 3-point range.
• According to KenPom, Tennessee boasts the nation's fourth-best defensive efficiency, allowing only 88.0 points per 100 possessions.
• Four different Vols have led or shared the team lead in scoring through four games.
• 45 percent of Tennessee's points this season have been scored by first-year Vols (147 of 326).
• Tennessee ranks 15th nationally in offensive rebounds per game, pulling down 15.5 per game.
• The Vols' 18.5 assists per game rank 25th nationally. Tennessee's 28 assists in the win over North Carolina tied a Barnes-era high.
• With an appearance Friday, John Fulkerson will tie VFL and current Boston Celtics guard Josh Richardson for third place on UT's all-time games played list (136).
• Friday will be Tennessee's 100th game as a ranked team under Rick Barnes. To date, the Vols are 74-25 as an AP Top 25 team under Barnes' direction.
• Tennessee is riding a three-game home winning streak, dating to last season.
• In all four games this season, the Vols have totaled more second-chance points than their opponent.

ABOUT TENNESSEE TECH

• Tennessee Tech is off to a 2-3 start through five games this season, having already faced three teams from the state of Tennessee—Memphis, Chattanooga and Lipscomb.
• Just under 50 percent of the Golden Eagles' scoring this season has come from three players—Keishawn Davidson (13.4 ppg), Mamoudou Diarra (12.2 ppg) and Jr. Clay (10.6 ppg).
• Clay, a Preseason All-OVC selection, was second in the OVC in scoring last season with a 17.3 points per game average. He ranks 17th in TTU program history with 1,300 career points.
• The Golden Eagles' 2021-22 roster features five newcomer transfers from Division I schools—Diante Wood (Jacksonville/Alabama), Daniel Ramsey (Xavier), Mamoudou Diarra (Cincinnati), Caleb Christopher (Arizona State), and John Pettway (South Alabama).
• Two of Tennessee Tech's four full-time coaches played basketball in the SEC—head coach John Pelphrey at Kentucky (1988-92) and assistant coach Andrew Steele (2008-13) at Alabama. The Golden Eagles' other two assistant coaches, Alex Fain and Blake Gray, served as student managers at Alabama before moving into full-time roles on the Crimson Tide's staff.
• Pelphrey also boasts a wealth of coaching experience in the SEC, having served as the head coach at Arkansas (2007-11), as well as an assistant coach at both Florida (1996-2002; 2011-15) and Alabama (2016-19).

TN 25-1 versus TN Tech. The loss belongs to Kevin O’Neill. His third, and last season. What a mess. I’ve always given Dickey much of the blame for KO being such a bust but I’m rethinking that and giving more of the credit to O’Neill. His second 11-16 season. He was 3 for 3 finishing last in the SEC East.

This 1996-97 season was all FR and SO except for a JR that played 2 minutes and DaShay Jones. DJ was a first year JR that disappeared after 7 games the next year. I do not remember him at all although he averaged 24 minutes and started 14 of 19 games. A guard that averaged 5.9 ppg and shot 1 for 13 from the 3PL (7.7%). KO didn’t help making the dumpster fireproof but he did leave Green with a really good roster and 2 great recruits in Isiah Victor and Tony Harris. Brandon Wharton, CJ Black, Rashard Lee, Charles Hathaway, Torrey Harris, Aaron Green, and All-time name member Vegas Davis. 25 years ago the dumpster was blazing. Peyton announced that he was returning for his SR year in the middle of the disastrous 1996-97 hoops season.

TN 25-1 versus TN Tech. The loss belongs to Kevin O’Neill. His third, and last season. What a mess. I’ve always given Dickey much of the blame for KO being such a bust but I’m rethinking that and giving more of the credit to O’Neill. His second 11-16 season. He was 3 for 3 finishing last in the SEC East.

This 1996-97 season was all FR and SO except for a JR that played 2 minutes and DaShay Jones. DJ was a first year JR that disappeared after 7 games the next year. I do not remember him at all although he averaged 24 minutes and started 14 of 19 games. A guard that averaged 5.9 ppg and shot 1 for 13 from the 3PL (7.7%). KO didn’t help making the dumpster fireproof but he did leave Green with a really good roster and 2 great recruits in Isiah Victor and Tony Harris. Brandon Wharton, CJ Black, Rashard Lee, Charles Hathaway, Torrey Harris, Aaron Green, and All-time name member Vegas Davis. 25 years ago the dumpster was blazing. Peyton announced that he was returning for his SR year in the middle of the disastrous 1996-97 hoops season.
I actually went back and looked at UT vs APSU after making this thread (I was curious as I attend APSU). The only loss was in 2011. Clownzo's first year. That's the other OVC loss

Reactions: feathersax
It’s really weird how Green’s 4 20s and 4x NCAATs were in the middle of 12 years of absolutely abysmal basketball by Wade, KO, and Buzz. KO certainly left him a gold mine. If Jerry wasn’t such a d-nozzle he could have had TN on track well before Bruce brought his circus through Knoxville.

On of my favorite players when I was younger, simply because of his name. Guy could jump like nothing else though.

Another fun name that came through during the Wade years I believe was Alico Dunk.

Here's the fact that matters most to me for this game - Tennessee Tech is ranked almost dead last for 3PT defensive percentage. Their opponents this season have averaged 40.5% shooting from 3.

Translation: It's All-You-Can-Eat at the 3PT Buffet today, and Chandler, Vescovi, and Zeigler are not going home hungry.

VN Store

Back