The Official #13 Tennessee @ Colorado Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, FS1

Okay yes we all understand this. We all get it. As someone who mentioned it a lot on this board, I don’t even necessarily disagree with your points. Barnes isn’t a good tournament coach. I don’t disagree. I don’t have a problem arguing it on a Tuesday in July when nothing is going on.

Putting in the game thread after a double digit P5 road win and saying “get to a final four and I’ll buy in” isn’t “truth telling” or “snowflakes” it’s just being a nuisance.
ZJ you’re overreacting. I think today’s game was a great win on the road when we actually did not play very well. Chandler showed he can carry this team on his back and I give CRB credit for allowing him to do it. My comment about “ buying in” to CRB was in response to another poster. As I have said before, I like CRB and think he is a great person and has definitely stabilized our program. I’ll continue to stand by my opinion that if he’s going to be one of the highest paid coaches in the country, he needs to perform to that level come tournament time. I’m not expecting to be a Final 4 team every year but he has gotten out of the first weekend 1 time in six years and is making $5M a year. It’s time we raised expectations to the same level of his salary. Who cares what month it is. Facts are facts.

What did I say to offend anyone??? Its ridiculous the number of snowflakes in here who can’t accept reality. We are paying a coach more than almost any other team in the country. There is no reason not to expect Final 4 results for what we are paying Barnes. I like CRB and I love this team. I really think if he cannot get this team to the Final 4 , it ain’t happening under CRB. We have the guard play to do it. Quit making excuses and accept the fact that until her proves otherwise, CRB has been a failure come tournament time his entire career
Not what you said, it was saying the same thing about 100 times in 10 different threads. Give it a damn rest man - everybody knows your position and it’s mind numbing to come into these different threads and have to read this same argument. Please, for the love of everything holy, don’t bring up CRB’s salary and how he hasn’t met your March expectations in light of what he’s being paid again until March when maybe it could be relevant. Seriously, you are ruining my basketball forum experience. Even if I block you I still have all the responses to your same argument.

We are paying a coach more than almost any other team in the country.

Who is WE? It ain't your money. Stop talking as if it is, please. And another thing: Where is the contract clause that says Barnes must deliver a FF in x years in order to collect that 5 M or be fired or forfeit his pay if he doesn't? The quid pro quo exists in your mind only, it isn't a contractual obligation, nor even an unspoken one, and it isn't your money in any case.

If you didn’t contribute to my birth and don’t sign my paychecks, you aren’t entitled to respect from me just because you happened to emerge from your mom’s nether region before I did.

Well aren't you a little piece of hate. I'm sure you get a lot of respect yourself.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I know I may be different from most, but I enjoy good basketball from November through March, not just tournament basketball.

This is my view exactly. So many good games during the season -- how can they not matter (to the extent that sports matter)? Are we to believe our two teams that reached #1 in the polls after knocking off the #1 team were the same as Martin's last team just because all three got to and were eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen?

Wait, if he’s paid 5th highest why should he make a F4?
With success comes expectations. Is Saban the or one of the highest paid CFB coaches to win 10 games or to win Natty's?
Does UK pay Cal a lot to win 25 games or win titles etc? If youre going to be paid in the company of guys whos expectations are FF's then why isnt it reasonable to expect one?

With success comes expectations. Is Saban the or one of the highest paid CFB coaches to win 10 games or to win Natty's?
Does UK pay Cal a lot to win 25 games or win titles etc? If youre going to be paid in the company of guys whos expectations are FF's then why isnt it reasonable to expect one?

I believe BTO's point is that, by the metric proposed, Barnes should be said to be making Elite 8 money. If a coach's paycheck relative to his competitors' is an indication of his benchmark for success in the tourney, it should be the four highest-paid coaches who are expected to make it to the final four, not the fifth-highest and below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol49er
I believe BTO's point is that, by the metric proposed, Barnes should be said to be making Elite 8 money. If a coach's paycheck relative to his competitors' is an indication of his benchmark for success in the tourney, it should be the four highest-paid coaches who are expected to make it to the final four, not the fifth-highest and below.
Thats not really how it works though. Most people are smart enough to understand FF's are hard to make, very few if any are asking for one every year, but saying he should be expected to break through, or have more tourney succes because he is being rewarded for it, shouldnt be this big of an issue.

Reactions: orangemadam
Thats not really how it works though. Most people are smart enough to understand FF's are hard to make, very few if any are asking for one every year, but saying he should be expected to break through, or have more tourney succes because he is being rewarded for it, shouldnt be this big of an issue.
Now you’re getting it

Now you’re getting it
Ive always gotten it, I just dont believe you should be rewarded for something before you get there. TX ran him off because of a lack of tournament success, and he hasnt hit an EE or FF at TN, so why should he be paid with those who have? If UCLA actually wanted to pay him this much, he shouldve been allowed to walk.

Ive always gotten it, I just dont believe you should be rewarded for something before you get there. TX ran him off because of a lack of tournament success, and he hasnt hit an EE or FF at TN, so why should he be paid with those who have? If UCLA actually wanted to pay him this much, he shouldve been allowed to walk.
Did you really want to see Fulmer try to run a basketball coaching search? We’d be Vanderbilt today if UT had let Barnes walk.

How has that worked out for therm. Not exactly a glowing recommendation for using their logic in an argument to support your position. Which of course puts any argument you put out here in suspect category. The stability having coach here provides is HUGE. The national respect we are experiencing is huge. His reputation for developing point guards is currently paying big dividends. Going to bed every nite not worried about getting caught cheating has a huge value to a school in our current position.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
Everyone has the right to vent, let it go.

Too many on here just want to paint a picture that everything is rosy, otherwise you are a negavol.

Barnes makes a lot of money, people should expect a high standard of basketball. Different people have different opinions of what that standard should be.

How has that worked out for therm. Not exactly a glowing recommendation for using their logic in an argument to support your position. Which of course puts any argument you put out here in suspect category. The stability having coach here provides is HUGE. The national respect we are experiencing is huge. His reputation for developing point guards is currently paying big dividends. Going to bed every nite not worried about getting caught cheating has a huge value to a school in our current position.
Yeah none of that means anything. He's getting paid with guys who are expected to bring in championships. He should be expected to bring in championships.

Last edited:
ZJ you’re overreacting. I think today’s game was a great win on the road when we actually did not play very well. Chandler showed he can carry this team on his back and I give CRB credit for allowing him to do it. My comment about “ buying in” to CRB was in response to another poster. As I have said before, I like CRB and think he is a great person and has definitely stabilized our program. I’ll continue to stand by my opinion that if he’s going to be one of the highest paid coaches in the country, he needs to perform to that level come tournament time. I’m not expecting to be a Final 4 team every year but he has gotten out of the first weekend 1 time in six years and is making $5M a year. It’s time we raised expectations to the same level of his salary. Who cares what month it is. Facts are facts.
Go get me a coke b!tch.

People who think Tennessee or any team for that matter is just gonna go out and beat a decent to good team on the road easily just don't know anything about college basketball. It's so easy to just get steamrolled by the adrenaline the home fans give to your opposition. They get hot, the crowd gets hyped, and the officials get involved too. Everything just snowballs. Next think you know you have lost to a team that you would be double digits better than on a neutral court. It easily could have happened in this game midway through the second half but KC just wouldn't let it happen.

VN Store

Back