The Official #12 Tennessee vs. Colorado Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, SEC Network+

I can agree with that. I honestly don't remember JP's defensive prowess. JJJ looks good to me in that regard. Was JP considered below, at, or above average defensively?
JP could have been the best defender in the SEC when he wanted to be. In between his hot-dogging, saluting, taunting, and fouling 3-point shooters, he occasionally moonlighted as an elite defender.

I don’t think it’s obsessively protecting him. I think that it’s pointing out the flaws of his critics that consider making baskets far and away the only way to judge players. He’s one of the best at the other things like passing, rebounding, versatility, not making stupid decisions, not being a liability defensively or at the free throw line, unselfish play. If he gets his shot technique perfected he can be the MVP of this team while some posters want to bench him and limit his minutes. There’s only one basketball to share and he is an outstanding player to keep on the court that will make those around him better.
I think it all stems from him being a 5 star but not really being a 5 star. He did take a beating last year for not living up to the hype but it's not his fault he was overrated out of high school. At the same time he nor anybody else shouldn't be above criticism if it's merited. Everyone has pointed out how poorly Fulky and Pons played against Colorado without people freaking out. James was certainly better than those two in the game but he wasn't great.

I think it all stems from him being a 5 star but not really being a 5 star. He did take a beating last year for not living up to the hype but it's not his fault he was overrated out of high school. At the same time he nor anybody else shouldn't be above criticism if it's merited. Everyone has pointed out how poorly Fulky and Pons played against Colorado without people freaking out. James was certainly better than those two in the game but he wasn't great.

I don’t expect JJJ to mirror Robert Hubbs unless his injury last year isn’t long gone. RH3 had a shoulder as a freshman and a knee as an upperclassman that both required surgeries. If JJJ stays healthy I think it’s pretty clear that he’ll be an excellent player. If CRB gets him to perfect his outside shot he will be a great one. With a better perimeter shot a lot more opportunities will open up for him on offense. He looks very comfortable with his dribble and his passing is outstanding. He has good size and is very quick for his size. It was just one game, but he appears to be much more confident this year versus last. It will not surprise me, if this season isn’t a train wreck, that by the time late January or February rolls around the offense runs through him.

I don’t expect JJJ to mirror Robert Hubbs unless his injury last year isn’t long gone. RH3 had a shoulder as a freshman and a knee as an upperclassman that both required surgeries. If JJJ stays healthy I think it’s pretty clear that he’ll be an excellent player. If CRB gets him to perfect his outside shot he will be a great one. With a better perimeter shot a lot more opportunities will open up for him on offense. He looks very comfortable with his dribble and his passing is outstanding. He has good size and is very quick for his size. It was just one game, but he appears to be much more confident this year versus last. It will not surprise me, if this season isn’t a train wreck, that by the time late January or February rolls around the offense runs through him.
JJJ will become a scorer the second that he takes on the mentality of a scorer. It's all between the ears with him on offense.

Reactions: gainesvol82
JJJ will become a scorer the second that he takes on the mentality of a scorer. It's all between the ears with him on offense.
This right here. Watch him. Sometimes he plays lazy or so it seems. Then other times he is crazy the boards for put back dunks.. His defense is pretty good. But dude could be a 15 PT 7 RB a game guy if he wants.

Seems like his shot is a bit flat. With better technique his FG% can rise. With that comes more opportunities to drive into the paint as defenders will have to respect the threat from the perimeter.

This right here. Watch him. Sometimes he plays lazy or so it seems. Then other times he is crazy the boards for put back dunks.. His defense is pretty good. But dude could be a 15 PT 7 RB a game guy if he wants.
I think too many people (not saying you are doing this) believe that a calm demeanor is laziness/passiveness. IG highlights and Mixtapes spend 40% of the video showing the kids screaming after a dunk or block and we're starting to be trained to think that's "competitiveness" and "fire" instead of just showboating or gloating. I don't think JJJ is passive, I think he's just not outwardly/visually excited as much as today's players generally are. I think he's playing the role that CRB has him to play and it will grow with time and confidence. Not just his own confidence in his game/body but CRBs and the staffs confidence in him running the team/plan.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think too many people (not saying you are doing this) believe that a calm demeanor is laziness/passiveness. IG highlights and Mixtapes spend 40% of the video showing the kids screaming after a dunk or block and we're starting to be trained to think that's "competitiveness" and "fire" instead of just showboating or gloating. I don't think JJJ is passive, I think he's just not outwardly/visually excited as much as today's players generally are. I think he's playing the role that CRB has him to play and it will grow with time and confidence. Not just his own confidence in his game/body but CRBs and the staffs confidence in him running the team/plan.
What I call lazy is someone who has the ability and we all know he does. But he doesnt always tap into it. Like we all know he can get his own shot anytime he wants. But he seems as you call it passive. Maybe its just unselfishness or he was taught to not be greedy on the court. I love our freshmen already. But I'm a upperclassmen type of lean. Use your experience go out and be a leader. This guy has 'll the tools. Really hoping he just decides one day to use them all.

What I call lazy is someone who has the ability and we all know he does. But he doesnt always tap into it. Like we all know he can get his own shot anytime he wants. But he seems as you call it passive. Maybe its just unselfishness or he was taught to not be greedy on the court. I love our freshmen already. But I'm a upperclassmen type of lean. Use your experience go out and be a leader. This guy has 'll the tools. Really hoping he just decides one day to use them all.
He's very similar to the issue Fulky had. Fulky could lead and take over, but deferred to others. Seems to be the same with James. I think Josiah has the ability, but not the desire to be "the man."

Reactions: cwbytruckers
Good call I feel.

VN Store

Back