The Official #11 Tennessee vs. Colorado Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

It’s not worth looking at the schedule to see if they are correct or not. Garbage performance tonight. They can fix it though.

Reactions: oz615
Makes you wonder why Barnes didn't go to BJ, I'd say he wants to RS him. But can't they play 30% of the season or something before they can't RS?
BJ is or at least was in Barnes dog house. There was a quote from Rick right before the season started that BJ needed to quit turning the ball over in practice before he's gonna get any minutes

This is quite the take

Well, Vols play a lot of teams better than Colorado. Colorado wasn’t terrible. How they lost to Grambling is beyond me. They had a lot of good looking players & had confidence the entire game.

To be fair, I think ESPN oversold that loss to Grambling they were a bad team last year. But it's college basketball, you hit with one good player and things change overnight. I think Grambling landing Lewis & Smith in the portal has helped them and they at least so far have played better this year 82 & 83 in their first two games and won both by double digits.

Makes you wonder why Barnes didn't go to BJ, I'd say he wants to RS him. But can't they play 30% of the season or something before they can't RS?

That is a football rule and the 30% limit is for medical hardships when there is a season ending injury.

That’s only for a medical redshirt due to a season-ending injury. For a regular redshirt, it’s burned the instant you check in any game.

BJ played at the end of the TTU game.

Seems like Barnes is challenging the back court to step it up. ZZ. BJE. Key. He can’t really use that with Vescovi, he really has no choice but to play him.

I still can't figure out for 2 years now why Aidoo doesn't play more. He's more athletic, better rebounder, better rim protector than ON and Uros. Makes no sense. Also having no pure PG is going to kill us. We are forced into taking contested shots a majority of the time.

He needs to be more aggressive. Too finesse. Nice shooter though. But we need a bruiser. Awaka come on down. Mashack too.

I like Awaka and think he’s going to be good, but not sure he’s ready for big minutes this soon.

but we may not have a choice but to play him more if Uros is down for an extended period with that injury

Last edited:
I mean, if this is actually the case it’s disappointing that this mindset ever even existed on the team. You should never go into a game expecting it to be easy. That’s how you get beat and that is why we lost.

That's incredibly disappointing to hear, especially from someone who should know better.

And I'm sorry, I get why it's said but the whole "this loss is the best thing for us" is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think it's probably pretty hit or miss whether that actually turns out to be true, and honestly I think it's usually said as a way to try to spin the loss.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
He may be finesse but he's still much better than ON and Uros.
ON has been a huge disappointment. Don’t know if the injury set him back or his time playing in Finland did something between the ears, because he’s made some huge mistakes and seems to be out of position or lost most of the time.

He’s a good kid and can be a serviceable backup, but the spotlight does him no favors.

I know I will probably get heat for saying it, but this team will be better off when ORN is graduated and we have a more experienced Awaka and other bigs in future years. ORN continues to be so soft with his hands and is inconsistent as an offensive threat. It’s disappointing that this late in his career he gets stripped so easily after getting a rebound. I don’t know if it’s just carelessness or if his hands are made of Charmin, but it happens a few times every game. He really should be a better and more aggressive rebounder than he is.

I know I will probably get heat for saying it, but this team will be better off when ORN is graduated and we have a more experienced Awaka and other bigs in future years. ORN continues to be so soft with his hands and is inconsistent as an offensive threat. It’s disappointing that this late in his career he gets stripped so easily after getting a rebound. I don’t know if it’s just carelessness or if his hands are made of Charmin, but it happens a few times every game. He really should be a better and more aggressive rebounder than he is.
Yup, I kept saying he isnt good, just another one of my takes I get blasted for.

I feel like we've invested too much time in ORN to not give him a shot to get back to that pre-injury form. He had seemingly turned the corner last season.

Plavsic injury probably didn't help with ORN today.

I feel like we've invested too much time in ORN to not give him a shot to get back to that pre-injury form. He had seemingly turned the corner last season.

I would agree if my concerns were about strictly his shooting or agility or anything that might be impacted by a significant injury, but I watched him get the ball stripped out of his hands multiple times tonight due to him just not paying attention. He should know better than to be so careless.

The play he got injured on last year was the best post move of his career.

ABOUT COLORADO

• Colorado defeated UC Riverside at home in its season opener on Monday, 82-66. The Buffaloes are set to play one more game—at Grambling State on Friday—before taking on Tennessee in Nashville on Sunday.
• CU also defeated Nebraska in a charity exhibition on Oct. 30 at home, 72-61.
• The Buffaloes finished 21-12 (12-8 Pac-12) overall last season and qualified for the NIT.
• Colorado head coach Tad Boyle is in his 13th season as the Buffaloes head coach. During the 1997-98 season, Boyle served as an assistant at Tennessee on the staff of former Vols' coach Jerry Green.
• Boyle has compiled a 255-155 record as Colorado's head coach. The Buffaloes have logged 23 wins over ranked opponents during his tenure.
• Also on Colorado's staff is former Mississippi State and Southeast Missouri State head coach Rick Ray. Tennessee compiled a 4-1 record against Ray during his time at Mississippi State.
• Two Colorado players earned preseason All-Pac-12 recognition—junior forward Tristan da Silva (second team) and sophomore guard KJ Simpson (honorable mention).
• During last season's game against Tennessee, da Silva started and had 11 points in 34 minutes, while Simpson played 25 minutes off the bench and scored seven points.
• da Silva and junior guard Nique Clifford are Colorado's only returning starters from last season. Jabari Walker (NBA Draft), Evan Battey (graduation) and Keeshawn Barthelemy (transfer to Oregon) all departed the program following last season.

Bad shooting day at Bridgestone Arena and that will happen on occasion to every basketball squad at some point.

If Plavsic is out for any length of time, I would start Aidoo at the 5 and start Key at point guard against Florida Gulf Coast on Wednesday.

VN Store

Back