The Official #10 Tennessee vs. Appalachian State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Was honestly shocked just how elite we played. I didn’t think it’d be close, but would not have predicted 41 points!

Love this team!!!
nothing feels better than knowing you don’t have to worry about the effort your team will bring. If I had to describe this team it would be a more fun to watch version of what Virginia does.

nothing feels better than knowing you don’t have to worry about the effort your team will bring. If I had to describe this team it would be a more fun to watch version of what Virginia does.
For the record I love watching Virginia play, I meant for the casual fan.

Keon just needs to work on his 3 and he has everything the NBA wants in a lottery pick and that's a double edged sword. Maybe, just maybe, he will get a late 1st round/early 2nd round projection and comes back to let Barnes help improve his jumper. But, I doubt it. Springer reminds me of, well, me. I was taking to u to the hole and most couldn't stop me, without fouling me. That's Springer, once he learns to look for a little drop-off, he could rack up some assists. Just doing it 2 or 3 times a game would also keep the help defense from leaving their man as much. Bob and Bert named JJJ, player of the game
Reminds you of you?
Oh-Kay

Reactions: The Dog
I know several of you had offered prayers and thoughts for Keyontae Johnson, the Florida player who collapsed during a game several days ago. He was taken out of a medically induced coma today and was breathing on his own and able to communicate. He was even able to FaceTime his teammates. Nothing has been said about what caused his collapse, but it had to be something quite serious. I really would be surprised if Johnson, the preseason SEC player-of-the-year, is able to return this season, if ever. I hope he is able to play more basketball; he is definitely NBA material and apparently a high character individual.

Right there with you man. I was a great 6th man and could dunk like Jordan on an 8 foot goal.
I could play, but I had several mistakes (got suspended for calling one of my favorite teachers of all time a "bitch" (really regret that, now and wish I could apologize), some of my known friends got busted smoking weed and I was considered guilty by association and they were right) and suddenly, I was in Jody Wright's doghouse. Whatta surprise ? Man, I was a dumb teenager. Still, my biggest regret was not playing my senior year in high school.

Reminds you of you?
Oh-Kay
No, not talent-wise, the way we both like to drive to the basket. Eventually, I learned to get my head-up and serve up bunnies for my big men, just like I think Springer will get better at, as the year goes along. No, I'm not delusional

Reactions: NEO
I know several of you had offered prayers and thoughts for Keyontae Johnson, the Florida player who collapsed during a game several days ago. He was taken out of a medically induced coma today and was breathing on his own and able to communicate. He was even able to FaceTime his teammates. Nothing has been said about what caused his collapse, but it had to be something quite serious. I really would be surprised if Johnson, the preseason SEC player-of-the-year, is able to return this season, if ever. I hope he is able to play more basketball; he is definitely NBA material and apparently a high character individual.
Wonderful news, seems like a really good kid and I hope he makes a full recovery. Only Gator, I kinda liked, has that motor and will to win, reminds me a lot of Fulk, with a little more polish

Team looked good tonight. I expect them to look even better after a few more games. Feels good to see UT win!

I was probably above average at my HS in ball. Dominated a teachers vs seniors game, the basketball coach even asked me to join the team.

Worked as a manager at TTU the season Stribling transferred over. One day I played some one on one with our starting senior guard.

I never even managed to get a shot off. 😳

Mind you I was actually doing alright running games in the cage, but talk about humbling me. We had a good team that year had just came off a 20 win season and NCAA appearance.

Reactions: The Dog
Just watched the game after missing it because of work, and I have some observations that I otherwise would have peppered through this thread. In lieu of starting a third postgame thoughts thread, figured I'd post them here (I haven't read those threads yet so I apologize for any overlap)

1. Man Keon and Jaden have gotten better each game, I am so excited to watch them play this year and then be studs in the NBA. That Keon steal, dribbling around several defenders and dunking it was a thing of beauty, and I see Jaden scoring many late critical buckets for us this year. The idea that one of these guys could possibly be Grizzlies next year thrills me, I especially think Keon would be a good fit next to Ja Morant.
2. It won't be remembered as such, but I think that was one of Fulk's better games in his career. Very solid on offense getting to his spots and scoring, but maybe the best defensive game I've seen him play. Even had some really nice feeds (also him taking the ball all the way in transition was great)
3. I love how in the second half of a massacre we still have Vescovi and Keon taking charges, Josiah and Jaden diving for loose balls, and everybody giving maximum effort
4. I think Victor Bailey has been an excellent pickup, and he played a good game. Wouldn't mind if he took a few fewer shots though. I loved how once in the second half he got his own miss and scored on a reverse layup and went to the ground and his teammates nearly came off the bench onto the court hyping him and wanting to help him up
5. Santiago had a better game than the box score might indicate I'd say, but needs to reach less. It is awesome that there is an argument to be made (and one that I would make) that he is not one of our five best players right now, and that is not a diss on him at all, but rather a testament to the depth of this squad
6. I know there was some complaining about the starters playing late in this thread, and while some just love to complain, I can still see the reasoning. However with the practices, scrimmages, and games wiped out, I think its wise to give the starters some extra run to knock even more rust off and get into better game shape
7. JJJ played another good game, led his team in rebounds and went 3/3 on threes. Wonder how many players have done that so far this year.
8. I continue to think ON will be a contributor down the line. Never a star by any means but he can become a decent first big of the bench by next year. I really think his defense has been great this year compared to last. Uros I have not been as confident in, but he looked decent defensively today.
9. Thought this was EJ's best game of the season so far
10. I went nine points without mentioning the reigning SEC defensive player of the year! This team is stacked. I agree with those who have said Yves' shot looks flat, but after what I thought was a shaky (by his standards) first game on defense, he returned to being the defensive menace he is against Cincy and was even better tonight

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Just watched the game after missing it because of work, and I have some observations that I otherwise would have peppered through this thread. In lieu of starting a third postgame thoughts thread, figured I'd post them here (I haven't read those threads yet so I apologize for any overlap)

1. Man Keon and Jaden have gotten better each game, I am so excited to watch them play this year and then be studs in the NBA. That Keon steal, dribbling around several defenders and dunking it was a thing of beauty, and I see Jaden scoring many late critical buckets for us this year. The idea that one of these guys could possibly be Grizzlies next year thrills me, I especially think Keon would be a good fit next to Ja Morant.
2. It won't be remembered as such, but I think that was one of Fulk's better games in his career. Very solid on offense getting to his spots and scoring, but maybe the best defensive game I've seen him play. Even had some really nice feeds (also him taking the ball all the way in transition was great)
3. I love how in the second half of a massacre we still have Vescovi and Keon taking charges, Josiah and Jaden diving for loose balls, and everybody giving maximum effort
4. I think Victor Bailey has been an excellent pickup, and he played a good game. Wouldn't mind if he took a few fewer shots though. I loved how once in the second half he got his own miss and scored on a reverse layup and went to the ground and his teammates nearly came off the bench onto the court hyping him and wanting to help him up
5. Santiago had a better game than the box score might indicate I'd say, but needs to reach less. It is awesome that there is an argument to be made (and one that I would make) that he is not one of our five best players right now, and that is not a diss on him at all, but rather a testament to the depth of this squad
6. I know there was some complaining about the starters playing late in this thread, and while some just love to complain, I can still see the reasoning. However with the practices, scrimmages, and games wiped out, I think its wise to give the starters some extra run to knock even more rust off and get into better game shape
7. JJJ played another good game, led his team in rebounds and went 3/3 on threes. Wonder how many players have done that so far this year.
8. I continue to think ON will be a contributor down the line. Never a star by any means but he can become a decent first big of the bench by next year. I really think his defense has been great this year compared to last. Uros I have not been as confident in, but he looked decent defensively today.
9. Thought this was EJ's best game of the season so far
10. I went nine points without mentioning the reigning SEC defensive player of the year! This team is stacked. I agree with those who have said Yves' shot looks flat, but after what I thought was a shaky (by his standards) first game on defense, he returned to being the defensive menace he is against Cincy and was even better tonight

Go Vols!
Agree with #8. Olivier’s little turn around he had at the end was beautiful. His defense has taken a huge step forward this season as well.

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back