The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

Can someone with a higher baseball IQ tell me why we continue to swing at first pitch out of the zone when we have runners on with no outs when we have their pitcher reeling (i.e. throwing 4 straight balls or hitting a batter)? I realize being aggressive at the plate is what got us here but these are young pitchers in a hostile environment - make them beat you would be my mentality
I suspect it’s analytics related. The announcers have mentioned several times that ND typically throws first pitch strikes. Could be dead wrong though. Analytics has overtaken common sense in today’s sports.

Reactions: cjbongoinstructor
Can someone with a higher baseball IQ tell me why we continue to swing at first pitch out of the zone when we have runners on with no outs when we have their pitcher reeling (i.e. throwing 4 straight balls or hitting a batter)? I realize being aggressive at the plate is what got us here but these are young pitchers in a hostile environment - make them beat you would be my mentality
I asked the same question in the regionals and was told “by someone, here, who played at this level” that that’s what they’re coached to do because every pitcher apparently throws a first pitch fastball down the middle and that’s the best chance you have at a decent pitch… 🙄. And was told there’s no point in arguing with him because “he played at this level”. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: cjbongoinstructor

VN Store

Back