The Official #1 Tennessee vs Kentucky SEC Tourney Game Thread (Saturday Time TBD EST SEC Network)

Yes yes yes... Hoover is a good location. Lots of stuff near interstate, especially near galleria and north of Birmingham in Trussville

I didn’t realize it was that close to B-ham. I want to a good breakfast (not fast food) before the game and tailgating (if I run into Vol fans). We may just drive home after game.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Well, giving up 0 runs is of course the important thing--but you want a starter to go more than 3 innings, obviously, and you can't walk 4 in that short a stint; you are asking for trouble. A bona fide starter should be going 5-6 innings regularly. I know we've got a lot of pitching depth, but you don't necessarily want to throw 4 pitchers a game.
We had the luxury of rolling Burns out there when Beam struggled tonight. It works in our benefit as it gives Burns an extra day to rest before Regionals as opposed to holding him to start tomorrow. CTV trusts his other starters/pen vs a tired and depleted Gators team. I think CTV and CFA made the right call but we’ll see if it pays off tomorrow.

Pitching aside, our boys need better plate discipline than what they showed in the first 7 innings tonight.

12-2 victory over the Mild Cats. I’ll gladly take it!

Last edited:
We had the luxury of rolling Burns out there when Beam struggled tonight. It works in our benefit as it gives Burns an extra day to rest before Regionals as opposed to holding him to start tomorrow. CTV trusts his other starters/pen vs a tired and depleted Gators team. I think CTV and CFA made the right call but we’ll see if it pays off tonight.

Pitching aside, our boys need better plate discipline than what they showed in the first 7 innings tonight.

12-2 victory over the Mild Cats. I’ll gladly take it!
Good assessment!

That's a season high 4 walks in 3.1 innings. Uncharacteristic, and I hope he leaves that in Hoover.

Didn't think that was that crazy of a thing to say, heh.

And while he didn't give up a run, that foul ball was damn close to being a 3 run homer for UK and a 9+ ERA night. [I mean, that was Beam, right? Neither person that replied interacted with that part of my comment, and I cannot even find the live stats for the game to check if I'm wrong about that.]
Foul balls don‘t worry me but yes that hanging breaking ball was crushed Thankfully foul. He relied too much on offspeed and should have trusted his FB. I hear you with the lack of command.

That's a season high 4 walks in 3.1 innings. Uncharacteristic, and I hope he leaves that in Hoover.

Didn't think that was that crazy of a thing to say, heh.

And while he didn't give up a run, that foul ball was damn close to being a 3 run homer for UK and a 9+ ERA night. [I mean, that was Beam, right? Neither person that replied interacted with that part of my comment, and I cannot even find the live stats for the game to check if I'm wrong about that.]
Yes, I do believe it was Beam. However, all that was just a long strike, and he did strike out that batter. Just perspective I suppose.

Go Vols! Fun game and the crowd was into it. One more to finish tourney. Everyone was fired up after the game there were big smiles all around. The players and Tony hung out to sign autographs and take pictures. The players are great with the kids. Enough for tonight as today was good but tiring. If you can find your way here tomorrow DO IT!

My extremely late to the party Post Game!

Notables: Jared Dickey came on for Seth in the one spot. Hit a single and was immediately removed, still a bit of a limp, I believe Scott replaced him.

Kyle Booker got a shot tonight. Blake came on for Moore…more on that in a moment.

Wyatt Evans came on to close, solid as a rock! Looked great.

Moving on…Tip of the cap to all the Vols fans! Loud and Proud, took over, there were about 10 rows of Ky. Fans the rest scattered about, I’d say, conservatively, 90% Vols, 5% other fans, 5% Ky.

It’s been a while since since Beam and Burns have pitched, a little rust was to be expected. They held on until the bats caught up, which, given what UK were down to, it was only a matter of time. They played 5 games to our 3.

The next might be a bit controversial, but here goes. I watched UK earlier in the day and they were pounding the ball, home runs and all. I’ll credit our pitching some, but I will also give credit where it is due. Hoover Alabama is an entirely different animal in the day time. Dry, hot and today the wind was blowing out.

Anybody that pulled out of that parking lot the last two night knows what I mean. Your windows have dew, condensation, humidity, whatever you want to call it. Your hands are sticky, put your palms together, you can feel it.
Which makes what Blake did tonight all the more impressive. It also explains why balls were dying. In my heart of hearts, being as honest as can be…but I won’t go there tonight, because we got a day game in a bit, we’ll see if the theory holds.

And…what about LuuuuuuuuuuuuC? He put the team on his back today, out there stealing bases!

Last thing before I turn in. We’re here, the team seems to want it, I KNOW we want it…so let’s do our part to bring this thing back to Knoxville. If you are worried about Tix, don’t be, get here!!!

Go Big Orange!!!

Last edited:
Sorry I bailed on y'all last night (this morning.) It was difficult to keep up with the posts and the game, so I chose baseball! Innings 8/9 were fun to watch. I as so pleased for our freshmen and their fantastic contributions. Thanks to UK for helping us out, too. That's called being a good neighbor, haha. Wonderful win...GBO!

If you can't wake up to the love of your life, a distant but decent second is waking up to a tie game turned ten run revenge blowout.

Breakfast wasn't anything poetic like cat head biscuits or a Denney's Grand Slam... but I did put a few drops of KY bourbon in the applebutter before slathering it on English muffins and watching all that I missed after the 6th inning.

Burke's shot was like an etiquette-ly acceptable post-meal burp of breakfast satisfaction.

Gator meat on the dinner menu!

Last edited:
I'm glad we're playing this tournament to win. We need it. We've had some sloppy play on D, and if that's due to post-season pressure, this is the way to prepare our contributing freshmen and get the overplay out of our system.

You could say we're not playing our best baseball right now ...or you could say we've still got room to improve as we work our way toward Omaha.

Since it's not the football forum, I'll choose the more positive outlook.

VN Store

Back