The Official #1 Tennessee @ Kentucky Thur-Sat Game Thread (Thur. 7PM EST SEC NETWORK) (Fri. 6:30PM EST SEC NETWORK+) (Sat. 2PM EST SEC NETWORK +)

...I usually lean towards high voltage action, suspense. and/or weird films. It's a diversion.
Me too. I thought you might. That’s why I asked.
I think I’ll jump down some of these black-and-white/classic film rabbit holes for a while. They can definitely be weird.

Lunch break check in.

For CDB and Juanita, personalized recommendations from the vintage nerd's rabbit hole.

If Singin' in the Rain is the sunny, happy side of inside Hollywood, Sunset Boulevard (1950) is its dark side. Typically ranked as a top 40 film of all time, of any genre, this noir is special for its plot, dialogue, cinematography, and acting. And--without giving anything away--the lead actress actually was that silent film star, and all those photos and films are really her. (And what the butler eventually confesses... was 80% also true.)

Detour (1945) Bad decisions made on top of bad luck, plus a femme fatale with a tongue like a razor blade. A film from a "Poverty Row" studio with a budget so small the director resorted to flipping negatives to maintain continuity--even though that put cars driving on the wrong side of the road! And yet, Detour was the first "B" movie chosen by the Library of Congress for its National Film Registry. And never was an actor's face more appropriate for his role...

Gun Crazy (1950) A gun-obsessed pacifist marksman meets the gunslinging girl of his dreams, then wakes up too late. But his love still runs strong, so "til death do us part." Before Bonny and Clyde, there was Gun Crazy.

But "weird" can also be positive, endearing, and delightfully quirky. So, just in case Tennessee loses another game in 2022 and you need something thoughtful but uplifting...

Mon Oncle [My Uncle] (1958)
I never dreamed I'd ever like a French film, but there is little dialogue in this one so only a few subtitles. It's creator and director, Jacques Tati, began in silent movies, so he knows how to tell you tons without words.

His purpose for making Mon Oncle was the post-war French government's obsession with replacing the old, war damaged France with Modernist styles and embracing American cars and consumerism. So Tati made this comedy to mock that, while showing the human social values they were about to lose in their pursuit of "modern efficiency." I think all of us who grew up country, or at least have great childhood memories of time away from the city, will get it immediately.

The gags (and commentary) are in the details, so you can watch this movie dozens of times and notice new bits or connections, like... why does his brother-in-law's house--and suit--look just like his factory? And why is the local school's name in the same script as the factory's name? And why so much gray?

Old and new are juxtaposed, the "messiness" of human interactions are observed, but the dogs and kids tell us about the real joys of life. And the ending is happy!

What would you do over the next couple of weeks? Pitch regular weekend guys? Mix it up? Who would you start on Fridays Blade or Dollander? It really does not matter what we think but is interesting to know your opinions and why. Please don't bash any of the guys in giving your opinions.

Reactions: taylorvol
What would you do over the next couple of weeks? Pitch regular weekend guys? Mix it up? Who would you start on Fridays Blade or Dollander? It really does not matter what we think but is interesting to know your opinions and why. Please don't bash any of the guys in giving your opinions.

Glad you stayed away from the forum this weekend Preacherman. Dolly looked like his ole self so I’d give him the nod Saturday.

I lurked but carefully. Took a lot of willpower but it was a miserable weekend. On top of bad baseball I lost my wallet in Lexington. Had to borrow money from a college kid. :) I'm sure I won't live that one down for a while. Having to replace everything is as bad as watching that mess this weekend in the miserable weather. On top of all that I rode my motorcycle so fun times in the rain.

I lurked but carefully. Took a lot of willpower but it was a miserable weekend. On top of bad baseball I lost my wallet in Lexington. Had to borrow money from a college kid. :) I'm sure I won't live that one down for a while. Having to replace everything is as bad as watching that mess this weekend in the miserable weather. On top of all that I rode my motorcycle so fun times in the rain.
Maybe whoever finds your wallet will be nice enough to return it to you - I found one a month ago and returned it to the rightful owner

I'm one of those types that believe in things that happen for a reason ... either good or bad. Hopefully this experience of losing your wallet & getting caught in the rain is just a weird coincidence that hit ya. Teachable moments in life that God sends our way. I've had plenty of these in my time here on earth as everyone that lives on earth does.

Last edited:
I know I'm thinking with a basketball mind, but maybe it applies as well to baseball:

I'd want to prepare for the CWS by putting some guys in new situations to see how they do, so that we have experience available if we face that situation again along the road. We need to be confident that we can win games in multiple ways.

But right now, I think our guys are already IN a new situation: whiffing bats. This week we'll see how their bats respond, or how they respond to their bats.

Seems Blade might be need some more work to get him into his best groove. Would the two freshmen benefit from some rest?

Reactions: CDB and cardvolfan
Exactly. I’ve harped on rhythm and timing so much, but now it almost appears the starters have been a little out-of-sync lately as compared to the first 2/3rds of the season. Who knows? All I know is this pitching staff as a whole is deep and talented.
I wonder how the top teams have faired in the Thursday night starts? Both teams have to deal with it though…

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well, you have 2 freshmen weekend starters as well as 2 veterans who can both still be considered as returning from injury (all of whom are amazing BTW). You also have a deep bullpen. Maybe you can toe the line between rhythm/rest by giving everyone some work while not going overboard and getting everyone in the bullpen involved. I think you continue starting Blade in the middle game to keep stretching his innings while getting Dolly and the bullpen in the mix following short starts to give starters a break. Of course, I'm just a casual and will most gladly defer to FA & TV on such decisions.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Since I didn't play baseball past junior high (and TN_gal has derailed the thread yet again), I've been wondering...

1. If teams now have a "book" on Tennessee's pitching tendencies, is what they actually have a book on our catchers' tendencies?

2. Were our pitches more hittable in Lexington because of the effects of thick air and rain? And similarly, were KY's pitches breaking more because of the same?

3. Will the solution to our lack of success against breaking balls come from better film study of opposing pitchers and picking up on their releases, or time in the cage against more breaking balls?

4. Given what KY did, I don't think our batters getting ahead in the count will be enough to change how much junk they're gonna see from here on. Or were KY's pitchers just better than other teams with their breaking stuff?

I'll gladly trade film info with anyone for more baseball education. GO VOLS!

I'll take a stab, even though I didn't play past junior high either:

1) No. They have a book on both, and the book on the catcher(s) is not the same as the book on the pitchers. However, I'm betting that the book on the pitchers talks about how slow they are to the plate, even in the stretch, and the book on the catcher talks about the inexperience in trying to throw runners out, and the resulting poor accuracy on the throws.
2) First question: Maybe. First of all, humid air is lighter than air that is not (assuming the same temperature and pressure for both). Humid air feels "thick" because it's harder for people to breathe it, because we aren't designed to breathe water. But it isn't actually heavier. So the ball will travel further and faster in humid air than non-humid air, at the same temp and pressure. However, there are a lot more variables at play here than that: a). Did the dampness keep pitchers from getting a good grip on the ball? b) did the rain drops during heavier rain impact the pitches enough to slow them down or decrease their spin? Second question: Why wouldn't it be the same for both?
3) Both, i would guess.
4) From my perch, it looked like Ky had a game plan for our hitters that involved 1) not giving them fastballs in fastball counts. 2) throwing fastballs just out of the zone so we could not barrel them up, but keep us off balance by throwing an occasional fastball, 3) throw curveballs on fastball counts, start them out over the plate and hope not to hang them, and also throw off-speed in fast ball counts. That's an easy to come up with game plan for their pitchers, but hard to execute. They executed it very well, give them credit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Coat both sides of your steak with oil, salt and pepper. Preheat the cast iron IN the oven to 400 degrees. Have the stove eye on and ready. Take the hot skillet out of the oven and place on the eye(it’s really hot) put the steak in long enough to sear each side, then place in the oven for about 3 minutes, turning once!
Boooom!
GBO!!
We’re about to be apartment living in a few weeks so this tip is gold. Thank you 🙂

If it ain't broke don't fix it. In the games at Lexington, we gave up 3, 5, and 2 runs in three games totaling 39 innings. Pitching wasn't the problem in the two losses. So, I'd keep the same rotation of starters and relievers at least until we clinch the SEC pennant, then would cut down on innings per start from 100 max to 50-60. And then give front line and back line relievers and Dolly some more innings and get the front line players and pitchers well rested but still engaged and ready for Hoover. I wouldn't start Dolly over Blade, keep it the same for now.

BTW, Preacherman, I was thinking of you as all of those negas were coming out of the woodwork over the last weekend. Glad you weren't involved.

I’m just glad we have CTV and CFA to make those decisions. 👍😀. I like the idea of Burns for game 1, piggy backing Blade and Dollander for game 2 until both are closer to 100%, and then Drew for game 3. Our bullpen is so loaded as I’d hate to figure out the proper formula for giving those guys innings to keep them sharp. Good problem to have for sure. 😀👍

I’m just glad we have CTV and CFA to make those decisions. 👍😀. I like the idea of Burns for game 1, piggy backing Blade and Dollander for game 2 until both are closer to 100%, and then Drew for game 3. Our bullpen is so loaded as I’d hate to figure out the proper formula for giving those guys innings to keep them sharp. Good problem to have for sure. 😀👍
I noticed Arky doesn’t have a mid week the last week of the season. Glad we have one! We need it.

Reactions: taylorvol

VN Store

Back