The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Strictly from a points/rebounds per game perspective, JJJ and Armani Moore are the same player. The difference is where their points/shot attempts come from. As a junior, 12% of Moore's shots came from outside the 3-pt line, while 60% of JJJ's came from there.

Key is in that same mold, but his shot selection is probably going to fall somewhere in between them. 35% of his shots were from 3 in his last season at ISU.

Reactions: berryvol
Strictly from a points/rebounds per game perspective, JJJ and Armani Moore are the same player. The difference is where their points/shot attempts come from. As a junior, 12% of Moore's shots came from outside the 3-pt line, while 60% of JJJ's came from there.

Key is in that same mold, but his shot selection is probably going to fall somewhere in between them. 35% of his shots were from 3 in his last season at ISU.
If Key rebounds anywhere close to the rate of JJJ/AM we are in for a treat!

Yeah, I don’t know what Key brings from vertical leap, etc, but he may dominate guys his size and bigger like Moore because of his physical strength. More to be revealed, I suppose.

Reactions: walkenvol
We could take note of this

Oscar Tshiebwe to Make $500K in NIL Deals in Bahamas, per Report - Sports Illustrated

The Democratic Republic of Congo born player is utilizing this time outside of the United States to take advantage of NIL deals. Because he is on a student visa at Kentucky, he cannot appear in any promotional content for NIL deals in the U.S. He’s only able to license his name, image and likeness.

So, during his few days in the Bahamas thus far, the 22-year-old’s schedule has been filled with shooting advertising spots for various companies. He has worked to appear in radio and TV commercials along with signing autographs on trading cards, to name a few of the tasks he’s completing.

During the seven days the team is in the Bahamas this week, Tshiebwe is expected to earn around $500,000, which brings his NIL total to $2.75 million, per sources close to The Athletic. Coach John Calipari has centered team activities around the availability of the star forward while on the trip.

However, Tshiebwe’s limitations in the U.S. might come to an end soon. His agent, Nate Conley, and a startup company called Influxer have been working to change his student visa to a type of visa used by international celebrities.

Reactions: Mccage
Western Kentucky PG, Zion Harmon entered the portal moments ago.. Think we reach out? Former top 100 guy with 3 years of eligibility left
Zion should have 4 years left as he didn't play last year and left WKU at the end of the fall semester, I believe. Sounds like he had some personal issues going on that needed addressing. Not sure how that plays into any interest we would have and he'd need a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Reactions: ManchesterVol03
Also worth noting that Zion is pretty nomadic, similar to Justin Powell. He attended at least 4 different high schools and now is on his second college in two years.
Tennessee did offer him and recruited him way back when, he UOV’d a few times, but we didn’t seem to pursue him as his recruitment went on. Definitely got mixed in with some bad folks and rumors about him getting laced with something and dealing with mental issues afterwards, hoping the kid finds a good landing spot, had/has a ton of talent.

Reactions: berryvol
Mark Stoops an elite 52.7% winning coach with 40% of his seasons at Kentucky ending with more losses than wins. :rolleyes:

Based on what Kentucky football used to be, it’s pretty remarkable what Stoops has done. You can’t hold his early year records against him. He has two 10-win seasons at KENTUCKY! It would be like knocking Barnes for his record the first two years after he took over the dumpster fire here. Stoops is a hell of a coach. Hope someone else hires him away so Kentucky fans can stop caring about football again.

Based on what Kentucky football used to be, it’s pretty remarkable what Stoops has done. You can’t hold his early year records against him. He has two 10-win seasons at KENTUCKY! It would be like knocking Barnes for his record the first two years after he took over the dumpster fire here. Stoops is a hell of a coach. Hope someone else hires him away so Kentucky fans can stop caring about football again.

Yet in neither of those 10 win seasons did he make a trip to Atlanta. Didn't even finish in a tie for the SEC East either. His best finish in the SEC has been 5-3.

Good for Kentucky football? Absolutely. But they are chirping at their bread & butter. Kroger field has just a handful of sold out games in Stoops tenure. Cal has won a SEC Regular season title and played in a few SECT championship games as well as made the Elite Eight in these last 4 seasons when the football program has "clearly been better"

It's just stupid on their part as fans. A head coach in football who has won 10 games in 2 seasons, both of which needed a bowl game to reach. Chirping at their basketball coach who has won 6 SECT championships, 6 SEC Regular championships, 1 national championship, and has only 1 season with less than 20 wins during his tenure...and that was the COVID year

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Mark Stoops an elite 52.7% winning coach with 40% of his seasons at Kentucky ending with more losses than wins. :rolleyes:

I think what he's done is impressive though I think he still has lost some games he shouldn't have, specifically his 2 best seasons he lost to very beatable Tennessee teams that honestly if I were a UK fan (barf) I'd find inexcusable. Especially the 2018 game, and last year his coaching in the last 2:00 or so was just baffling.

He seems to be good but not great, and he's probably where he needs to be. Kentucky isn't going to much better than him and if they did, they'd lose the coach to a better job.

I think what he's done is impressive though I think he still has lost some games he shouldn't have, specifically his 2 best seasons he lost to very beatable Tennessee teams that honestly if I were a UK fan (barf) I'd find inexcusable. Especially the 2018 game, and last year his coaching in the last 2:00 or so was just baffling.

He seems to be good but not great, and he's probably where he needs to be. Kentucky isn't going to much better than him and if they did, they'd lose the coach to a better job.

He's overrated, but lots of good coaches are. And as you pointed out even in those two seasons still went 0-2 to TN teams that were beatable. He managed to beat Florida though. The bad news is with him feeding into it and now the football fans turning on the basketball fans the expectations are going to get a lot higher, because they are in the SEC. I still think if Iowa calls him when Kirk retires he'll be gone.

Stoops is a pretty good coach and he has certainly raised the level of expectation at UK. I saw where this was his 10th year coaching and that really hit me hard. Time has flown by and I couldn't believe 10 years had passed since Joker Phillips.

Stoops is fortunate to be at a place as patient with him as UK has been. At Tennessee, he wouldn't have made it past year 5 when he went 7-6 after going 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, and 7-6 the previous 4 years. That's annual improvement, or at least not taking a step back, but higher profile teams wouldn't likely afford that kind of patience.

Cal really screwed Stoops by spouting off about UK being a basketball school and not a football school. Stoops is going to have to defend against that in every home he goes in to recruit. Just a terribly damaging comment from what should have been a colleague.

Last edited:
Stoops is a pretty good coach and he has certainly raised the level of expectation at UK. I saw where this was his 10th year coaching and that really hit me hard. Time has flown by and I couldn't believe 10 years had passed since Rich Brooks.

Stoops is fortunate to be at a place as patient with him as UK has been. At Tennessee, he wouldn't have made it past year 5 when he went 7-6 after going 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, and 7-6 the previous 4 years. That's annual improvement, or at least not taking a step back, but higher profile teams wouldn't likely afford that kind of patience.

Cal really screwed Stoops by spouting off about UK being a basketball school and not a football school. Stoops is going to have to defend against that in every home he goes in to recruit. Just a terribly damaging comment from what should have been a colleague.
Those two have more or less had a...very interesting...summer from other comments I've seen from both. Stoops pretty much called out UK's boosters for NIL issues with UK football back in like June or July, then when Cal was asked about NIL and Stoops' comments he was like "Well we aren't having any problems." Just seems to me that there's definite bad blood between Stoops and Cal.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back